Norway cruise itinerary

There is another itinerary that sails on a date that is slightly more convenient, but is it not as desirable? We're really wanting to focus on fjords. Tell me what you think:

HAL Ryndam from Dover. Oslo, Oslofjord, Kristiansand, Stavenger, Ulvik, Hardangerfjord.

I agree with I-Cruiser that this isn't a great option for fjord cruising.

The Oslofjord is pretty, but it's not at all like the dramatic western fjords. It's more like a large dammed-river lake - wide with low hills on the sides. You could do a boat trip up Lysefjord during your port day in Stavanger, but most ships don't make the trip themselves.

Karen - I am glad to hear this.

Avis and Budget are closest to the port area.

All the deck by the atrium are great for viewing. Also the Viking Crown Lounge (even thought the forward part is now a restaurant)

You seem very interested in helping with plans so I hope you will not mind if I ask for specific ports.

On the Legend our ports are :

FLAM 8-6

GEIRANGER 11:30- 9 ( yes that is correct) sunset cruise through the Fjord on the sail away?

ALESUND 7-5

BERGEN 7-5

I am hoping to include a Fjord cruise, some hiking and some museums . Any thoughts on how to make the best of my ports? In Flam it looks like I will have to choose from the Railway or going on a Fjord cruise, which would you recommend?

Thanks for your time, Karen

You seem very interested in helping with plans so I hope you will not mind if I ask for specific ports.

On the Legend our ports are :

FLAM 8-6

The railway is fun and a spectacular and scenic option. A cruise on the pretty Nærøyfjord would be good too but bear in mind you will be cruising Sognefjord, Storfjord/Geiranger fjord so taking the Flaamtrain would be the best thing to do as you will be experiencing a different kind of scenery.

Visit Flaam link:

http://www.visitflam.com/upload/Top-10-guide.pdf

GEIRANGER 11:30- 9 ( yes that is correct) sunset cruise through the Fjord on the sail away?

For sailway you MUST be on the top decks!!...Since you are staying in port almost 12 hours you could take the hop on/off bus to to The Eagle Road-Flydalsjuvet viewpoint and on to Dalsnibba Mountain. If you would like to hike there are some great hiking routes from the farm of Storseter.

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/Hop-on-Hop-off-Buss-Rute-Kart-2

ALESUND 7-5

You shouldd have a look around town. Do the Fjellstua viewpoint and head into the Troll of the Path/Trollstigen either by private car or tour. This is a full day tour. If you dont wish too travel so far as Trollstigen. You could check out the surrounding islands (Giske Church - Alnes lighthouse at Godoy). Do the open air museum.

BERGEN 7-5

I have not been there for a while but the old town/port area is a must. Also Floybanen to the viewpoint at Mt. Floyen would be intresting. If you would like some more history and music you could go to the Trollhaugen - the former home of Edward Grieg.

I am hoping to include a Fjord cruise, some hiking and some museums . Any thoughts on how to make the best of my ports? In Flam it looks like I will have to choose from the Railway or going on a Fjord cruise, which would you recommend?

Thanks for your time, Karen

Hi My answers in red:)

9pm sailaway is great. You probably will be cruising in early May?? Cruising out the Geiranger fjord takes 1-2 hours and the entire stretch with Storfjord would take approx 4-5 hrs.

If you are visiting in May many of the tourist roads like Mt. Dalsnibba and Path of the Trolls would not be open yet. They usually open at the beginning of June.

9pm sailaway is great. You probably will be cruising in early May?? Cruising out the Geiranger fjord takes 1-2 hours and the entire stretch with Storfjord would take approx 4-5 hrs.

If you are visiting in May many of the tourist roads like Mt. Dalsnibba and Path of the Trolls would not be open yet. They usually open at the beginning of June.

Thank you. We are going from Copenhagen on May 17 on the Norway part of the cruise (May 10th Baltic portion).

If I am understanding your suggestions correctly there is NO need to take a Fjord cruise in any of the ports because we will have that opportunity on the Legend. So in port see the Fjords from land from above.

We will do a hike in Geiranger, I am thinking to go to Losta? We will do the hop on hop off bus first or bus to Mt Dalsnibba (which one do you suggest it will be May 20th). Do you know of a good "pub or Brewery" we can go to in Geiranger or our other stops?

Flam railway on our own I will look into although I would like more than just a trip up and down without stops.

Do you know of any private tour operators in Alesund that would take us to the "Path of the Trolls". You mentioned the museum do you highly recommend it?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thank you very much for your time, Karen

Thank you. We are going from Copenhagen on May 17 on the Norway part of the cruise (May 10th Baltic portion).

If I am understanding your suggestions correctly there is NO need to take a Fjord cruise in any of the ports because we will have that opportunity on the Legend. So in port see the Fjords from land from above.

We will do a hike in Geiranger, I am thinking to go to Losta? We will do the hop on hop off bus first or bus to Mt Dalsnibba (which one do you suggest it will be May 20th). Do you know of a good "pub or Brewery" we can go to in Geiranger or our other stops?

Flam railway on our own I will look into although I would like more than just a trip up and down without stops.

Do you know of any private tour operators in Alesund that would take us to the "Path of the Trolls". You mentioned the museum do you highly recommend it?

I am sure I will have more questions.

Thank you very much for your time, Karen

You will be cruising in/out 2 beautiful fjords and I think in port you should concentrate on other sights than cruising fjords to make the most of your visit.

In Geiranger do the hop on/off first. There is also a hop on/off bus to Mt. Daslnibba. But, there is no guarantee the road up to Dalsnibba is open so early in the season. I think last year the road opened late May or early June.

The same goes for Trollstigen.

Its to early now to tell when the roads will open. Normally the opening date is announces approx 1 month before.

A good pub/bistro in Geiranger is "Posten" situated in a small house by the tourist information.

http://www.brasserieposten.no/

Also, there is a place selling home made chocolates. You should check it out and get some chocolate.

http://geirangersjokolade.no/?lang=en

In Flaam its a must to visit Aegir brewery. Excellent beer, good good and atmosphere:) The owner is a couple and the guy is from the US.

http://www.flamsbrygga.no/en/

There are no private tour operators in Alesund. You have the options of taking a taxi tour but they are costly.

You could rent a car and drive:)

The open air museum contains old buildings from the area. Most buildings are 200-300 years old. You will see and learn how the people lived and conducted their lives before.

Its interesting to experience, its informative and the setting is beautiful.

http://www.sunnmore.museum.no/?c=19257

Hiking to Løsta should be very easy and beautiful hike to do. From Westerås it will take you 1 hour each way.

Westerås farm is also very pretty with its own cafe serving home made food.

You will be cruising in/out 2 beautiful fjords and I think in port you should concentrate on other sights than cruising fjords to make the most of your visit.

In Geiranger do the hop on/off first. There is also a hop on/off bus to Mt. Daslnibba. But, there is no guarantee the road up to Dalsnibba is open so early in the season. I think last year the road opened late May or early June.

The same goes for Trollstigen.

Its to early now to tell when the roads will open. Normally the opening date is announces approx 1 month before.

A good pub/bistro in Geiranger is "Posten" situated in a small house by the tourist information.

http://www.brasserieposten.no/

Also, there is a place selling home made chocolates. You should check it out and get some chocolate.

http://geirangersjokolade.no/?lang=en

In Flaam its a must to visit Aegir brewery. Excellent beer, good good and atmosphere:) The owner is a couple and the guy is from the US.

http://www.flamsbrygga.no/en/

There are no private tour operators in Alesund. You have the options of taking a taxi tour but they are costly.

You could rent a car and drive:)

The open air museum contains old buildings from the area. Most buildings are 200-300 years old. You will see and learn how the people lived and conducted their lives before.

Its interesting to experience, its informative and the setting is beautiful.

http://www.sunnmore.museum.no/?c=19257

Hiking to Løsta should be very easy and beautiful hike to do. From Westerås it will take you 1 hour each way.

Westerås farm is also very pretty with its own cafe serving home made food.

I loved the Flam link, we will go to the Brewery for sure. From the Brewery link I was able to get a Hiking map. I think that combining the Flam railway with one or two hikes and finishing off at the Brewery would be a wonderful day. What do you think of the walk to Otternes? Also thought about the hike to Brekkefossen Falls, what do you think.

I hope you realize how much your information is appreciated. We can buy as many "tour books" as we can afford but the advice from locals is so much more valuable.

With sincere thanks, Karen

I loved the Flam link, we will go to the Brewery for sure. From the Brewery link I was able to get a Hiking map. I think that combining the Flam railway with one or two hikes and finishing off at the Brewery would be a wonderful day. What do you think of the walk to Otternes? Also thought about the hike to Brekkefossen Falls, what do you think.

I hope you realize how much your information is appreciated. We can buy as many "tour books" as we can afford but the advice from locals is so much more valuable.

With sincere thanks, Karen

Karen - Its all fun to help:)

The brewery is fantastic and the beer they make is excellent. Its one of my favorites.

I have not done any of those hikes,but, by the looks of it the Brekkefossen hike is the most strenuous and most dramatic.

The train, a hike and a brewery lunch sounds like a very good day to me..:)

Otternes and its farm looks very quint. More in the same fashion as Westerås in Geiranger. I don't think you need to very similar experiences so better do something more unique.

If you are doing the hike from Westerås then I would recommend you to do the Brekkefoss waterfall in Flaam instead.

Did you know there is a "World Waterfall Database"..??

Yup, here goes:D

http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/waterfall/Brekkefossen-5566/

http://www.otternes.no/en/

Karen - Its all fun to help:)

The brewery is fantastic and the beer they make is excellent. Its one of my favorites.

I have not done any of those hikes,but, by the looks of it the Brekkefossen hike is the most strenuous and most dramatic.

The train, a hike and a brewery lunch sounds like a very good day to me..:)

Otternes and its farm looks very quint. More in the same fashion as Westerås in Geiranger. I don't think you need to very similar experiences so better do something more unique.

If you are doing the hike from Westerås then I would recommend you to do the Brekkefoss waterfall in Flaam instead.

Did you know there is a "World Waterfall Database"..??

Yup, here goes:D

http://www.worldwaterfalldatabase.com/waterfall/Brekkefossen-5566/

http://www.otternes.no/en/

Love the web sites. We actually have a "Falls of Ontario"book that we use for local hikes. I grew up only 1o miles from Niagara Falls and have actually been to Gulfross in Iceland.

Please continue to share your ideas and local websites they are extremely helpful. I have shared a link to this thread with our "Roll Call" because I am sure other cruisers on our ship will benefit from your help.

Regards, Karen

I think Geiranger is a must. The scenery is some of the most spectacular I have ever seen. We did the Fjords with RCCL last May. I agree with previous posts that some of the roads are not open yet in May which can be frustrating, but we were told by many people that May was the best month to visit because the snow melt make the waterfalls much more active than in June and beyond.

Flam was a nice stop, but nowhere near as crucial as Geiranger. Bergen had a great open air market and was a nice city to walk around it. I highly recommend Alesund and going to the path of the trolls/troll wall. Not so much for the destinations, but the trip to get there. A long drive that goes through mountains and fjords and is gorgeous.

If you are flying to either Southampton or Copenhagen, the benefit of Copenhagen is that the port is only about 20 minutes from the airport, while Southampton is a trek from London.

Love the web sites. We actually have a "Falls of Ontario"book that we use for local hikes. I grew up only 1o miles from Niagara Falls and have actually been to Gulfross in Iceland.

Please continue to share your ideas and local websites they are extremely helpful. I have shared a link to this thread with our "Roll Call" because I am sure other cruisers on our ship will benefit from your help.

Regards, Karen

When I research for my cruises I like a mix of information and links to useful websites. So that's what I do when I give advises myself:)

I need to make it to Niagara Falls and to Iceland - they are both on my list.

There are lots of useful threads here on this forum.

If you have more questions let me know.

Please do share your cruise with us when you return back.

In Flam, how do you get to the train station from the cruise port? Do you need to buy tickets in advance? What are must sees in Alesund? How do you get to Alnes lighthouse at Godoy? We don't mind walking 6-8 miles in a day. We just like to see as much as we can in our limited time in port.

In Flam, how do you get to the train station from the cruise port? Do you need to buy tickets in advance?

I will only comment on Flåm:

Train is walking distance from ship - only 5 minutes - do not buy tickets in advance, but be early at the ticket counter - early trains will sell out fast.

You can get some additional inspiration from my Norwegisn Fjords Cruising Blog

Train is walking distance from ship - only 5 minutes - do not buy tickets in advance, but be early at the ticket counter - early trains will sell out fast.

All I can say is WOW! Thanks for sharing.

Karen

Thank you for this valuable info.

Also thank you for the link to your blog. Your review and pictures are fantastic.:)

In Flam, how do you get to the train station from the cruise port? Do you need to buy tickets in advance? What are must sees in Alesund? How do you get to Alnes lighthouse at Godoy? We don't mind walking 6-8 miles in a day. We just like to see as much as we can in our limited time in port.

Must sees in Ålesund are:

1)The Aksla viewpoint at Fjellstua. You can choose to take the hop on/of bus or walk the 418 steps up to the viewpoint. From the top you will have magnificent views of Ålesund, the Sunnmore Alps Mountains, the surrounding islands of Valderoy, Giske, Godoy to mention a few.

2) Jungend senteret. This senter/museum tells the story of Ålesund before and after the fire. You will see a multimedia show about this.

3) Walk along Brosundet...Both the bridge and the "canal".

4) Walk the Apotekergaten and Moloveien to explore the quaint little shops and museums away from the busy main part of town. Also, stop at the lighhouse at the entrance to the port. This lighthouse is now a hotelroom.

5) Ålesund Church.

6) Enjoy a coffee or lunch on the barge moored in Brosundet. The entrance is at Cafe Invit in Apotekergaten. Spectacular views!!

Your best bet to get to Godoy is by car - either rental or taxi. You can take a local bus but the departures are not frequent. Your ship might have a tour going to Giske and Godoy??

http://www.alnes.net/engelsk.htm

I think Alnes lighthouse at Alnes is a must. The place is so unlike any other village you will discover here in the area. Its rugged and wild. Lots of weather and nature.

Must sees in Ålesund are:

1)The Aksla viewpoint at Fjellstua. You can choose to take the hop on/of bus or walk the 418 steps up to the viewpoint. From the top you will have magnificent views of Ålesund, the Sunnmore Alps Mountains, the surrounding islands of Valderoy, Giske, Godoy to mention a few.

2) Jungend senteret. This senter/museum tells the story of Ålesund before and after the fire. You will see a multimedia show about this.

3) Walk along Brosundet...Both the bridge and the "canal".

4) Walk the Apotekergaten and Moloveien to explore the quaint little shops and museums away from the busy main part of town. Also, stop at the lighhouse at the entrance to the port. This lighthouse is now a hotelroom.

5) Ålesund Church.

6) Enjoy a coffee or lunch on the barge moored in Brosundet. The entrance is at Cafe Invit in Apotekergaten. Spectacular views!!

Your best bet to get to Godoy is by car - either rental or taxi. You can take a local bus but the departures are not frequent. Your ship might have a tour going to Giske and Godoy??

http://www.alnes.net/engelsk.htm

I think Alnes lighthouse at Alnes is a must. The place is so unlike any other village you will discover here in the area. Its rugged and wild. Lots of weather and nature.

Thank you so much for this information. Is the Alnes lighthouse within walking distance from the pier? It sounds like we can make this a walking day. Are all the spots you named walkable from the pier? Thanks, Cyndy

Thank you so much for this information. Is the Alnes lighthouse within walking distance from the pier? It sounds like we can make this a walking day. Are all the spots you named walkable from the pier? Thanks, Cyndy

Cyndy - Alens lighthouse is a approx 40 minute drive via the subsea tunnels to the island of Godoy.

The other spots would make for a very pleasant walking day.

Hello I-Cruiser. I've been reading your answers to questions about Norway and have a few of my own..if you don't mind.

I'm on a Royal Caribbean ship May 17-25 going to Skjolden, Flam, Olden, Alesund, and Stavanger. Tours for Flam, Olden and Stavanger have been arranged.

We arrive in Skjolden at 4pm and leave at Midnight.....would you have any suggestions as to what to do during this time?

I like your ideas about what to do in Alesund. I would love to have a typical Norweigan meal while in Norway somewhere. We're there between 8am-4pm. Would it be best just to walk around town, take in the sights, and eat somewhere? You mention a barge restaurant. Is this in Alesund? Is it easy to get to?

This is my first time in Norway and am truly looking forward to doing anything...the pictures are beautiful. Thank you for any help.

Joyce :D

Hello I-Cruiser. I've been reading your answers to questions about Norway and have a few of my own..if you don't mind.

I'm on a Royal Caribbean ship May 17-25 going to Skjolden, Flam, Olden, Alesund, and Stavanger. Tours for Flam, Olden and Stavanger have been arranged.

We arrive in Skjolden at 4pm and leave at Midnight.....would you have any suggestions as to what to do during this time?

I like your ideas about what to do in Alesund. I would love to have a typical Norweigan meal while in Norway somewhere. We're there between 8am-4pm. Would it be best just to walk around town, take in the sights, and eat somewhere? You mention a barge restaurant. Is this in Alesund? Is it easy to get to?

This is my first time in Norway and am truly looking forward to doing anything...the pictures are beautiful. Thank you for any help.

Skjolden is relative new cruise port further inside the Sognefjord then the more famous port of Flåm.

I Skjolden you have the option to visit:

1) Urnes Stave Church. This church was built in the Middle Ages, its all timbered wood walls and steeply sloping roofs.

2)Jotunheimen National Park. This would be truly spectacular as you will be hitting Norway’s heady heights on this trip. The Sognefjell National Tourist Route is the highest mountain pass in Northern Europe, wending its way through snow-dusted mountains and past icy waterfalls and glaciers. Looking down, you’ll have spectacular views of Lustrafjord and the surrounding mountains, rivers.

For me this would be the most interesting and diverse tour to do as you will experience bare and rugged mountain landscape and lush fjords with waterfalls.

3) Nigarbreen Glacier in the Jostedal National Park. The glacier is 485 square kilometers wide or 120 football fields.

4) In Skjolden you can also do fun stuff like Lama Safari or rafting.

The cafe/restaurant with the barge is called Invit. You get to the barge by walking into the cafe, down a few steps and though the restaurant.

Its a very continental place. Not sure if they serve Norwegian fare but the food is really good.

http://www.invit.no/default.aspx?menu=622

Also a nice place to sit is at the outside area of "Anno".

Both these places are easy to find and a few steps from Brosundet Bridge.

As for restaurants serving traditional Norwegian food; I am not sure many restaurants does. Your best bet might be the cafes in the shopping malls.

Lars:)

Thank you Lars. You are most helpful. I'm not sure what is going to happen in those ports, but you've given me some good ideas.

It's too bad about trying to find local food. We can all eat at the fast food places anywhere. Will just have to keep my eyes open and hope for the best!!

Thanks again!

Thank you Lars. You are most helpful. I'm not sure what is going to happen in those ports, but you've given me some good ideas.

It's too bad about trying to find local food. We can all eat at the fast food places anywhere. Will just have to keep my eyes open and hope for the best!!

Thanks again!

Anytime:)

I think I would do the Jotunheimen National Park and/or the glacier.

I am not sure if there are any private tour companies offering this tour so your best bet would be a ships excursion.

The two places I mentioned do serve some really tasty food. All made from scratch. The food is more leaning towards modern Italian with a twist. Example; pizza with baccalao (dried cod).

• 4 weeks later...
There is another itinerary that sails on a date that is slightly more convenient, but is it not as desirable? We're really wanting to focus on fjords. Tell me what you think: HAL Ryndam from Dover. Oslo, Oslofjord, Kristiansand, Stavenger, Ulvik, Hardangerfjord.

Not that I don't enjoy Princess, HAL, and RC (and have stock in both large cruise companies) but you have missed the 12-night RT cruise from Amsterdam on the Celebrity Constellation (June 26). Come join us for a major dose of Norway Fjord scenery! (Stavanger, Olden, Molde, Alesund, Geiranger, Flam, Bergen, and Oslo) The other advantages, if you have the time, you miss some water that can be troublesome and if you haven't visited Amsterdam, there you are. In 2011, we started with a week in Paris, then the Thalys to Amsterdam directly onboard (cruise port is directly behind Amsterdam Centraal) and then a week in Amsterdam after a 12-night Baltic Cruise. This summer we are doing a Rhine river cruise and some days in Belgium before our Norway experience. Any personal questions or details about Amsterdam, feel free to drop me a note. (balticports@yahoo.com) My general notion about Celebrity is the food may be a step above and I'll bet you can transfer a deposit. Why didn't your TA tell you about this late June option.

DJ:)

I'm so glad this thread has resurfaced, as I missed it the first time around. We're planning for a Norwegian fjords cruise in 2015 and, when I'm not anxiously watching for itineraries to be released, I'm looking at the 2014 itineraries and trying to decide which would suit us best. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, especially I-Cruiser. What a wealth of information!