Luggage stolen

20pluscruises

Just a suggestion-go back to LGA and look in the baggage claim room for your airline. Ask everyone that is even vaguely connected to baggage. Agents are SUPPOSED to pull all bags off the carousel after passengers have left. I know a couple of times at JFK, I went to the Admiral's Club AFTER my flight before I claimed my luggage and it had already been taken into the "lost/unclaimed" luggage area. This is the PROPER procedure and if your luggage was on an earlier flight, this is where the luggage SHOULD have gone.

If your luggage was mis-tagged (did you look at the tags when they put them on), they came off or became unreadable or they simply ended up on an earlier plane, your luggage MAY be sitting in baggage claim. There is very often a BIG disconnect between those on the phone with baggage claim and those actually AT THE AIRPORT.

Usually the phone agents only look for tag numbers. Those PHYSICALLY at the airport may be looking at your bags and NOT realize it at all if anything happened to the tags. Do it quick before they decide your bags are unclaimed and are sent to Arkansas and become the next bag sold on that Reality TV show. Good luck.

Already did check the back room...twice.

Just a suggestion-go back to LGA and look in the baggage claim room for your airline. Ask everyone that is even vaguely connected to baggage. Agents are SUPPOSED to pull all bags off the carousel after passengers have left. I know a couple of times at JFK, I went to the Admiral's Club AFTER my flight before I claimed my luggage and it had already been taken into the "lost/unclaimed" luggage area. This is the PROPER procedure and if your luggage was on an earlier flight, this is where the luggage SHOULD have gone.

If your luggage was mis-tagged (did you look at the tags when they put them on), they came off or became unreadable or they simply ended up on an earlier plane, your luggage MAY be sitting in baggage claim. There is very often a BIG disconnect between those on the phone with baggage claim and those actually AT THE AIRPORT.

Usually the phone agents only look for tag numbers. Those PHYSICALLY at the airport may be looking at your bags and NOT realize it at all if anything happened to the tags. Do it quick before they decide your bags are unclaimed and are sent to Arkansas and become the next bag sold on that Reality TV show. Good luck.

We ALWAYS watch them tag the bad and wait for it to go on the conyer belt. Do I really need to file a police report when they pretty much agree it was stolen?

We ALWAYS watch them tag the bad and wait for it to go on the conyer belt. Do I really need to file a police report when they pretty much agree it was stolen?

Yes, because you won't get diddly from the airline in dollars and cents without actual receipts. They depreciate the heck out of stuff even though the max limit is $3300 per person for domestic flights. If you want to claim full price for your luggage and contents, you will have to file against your travel insurance and/or homeowners as well and hope that your homeowners is replacement value.

Think about how much money you really had in your suitcase. A nice suit-maybe $500. Nice dresses, another $400. Shoes-very easily 2-3 pairs could be $300. Heck, even my new Teva flip flops were $54.00. I know I figured it up one time when we were going on a cruise-DH suit and tux ($800), 5 pairs of Dockers for him and 5 pairs for me-$400. My two formal dresses-$800. Including shoes, tops, dress shirts and the price of my Hartmann luggage, I was well over $2500. That didn't count makeup, hair dryers, curling irons or anything else you may take.

FILE the police report. You may be surprised. You luggage just MAY show up if they do any kind of investigation.

Do I really need to file a police report when they pretty much agree it was stolen?

If you plan to file a claim with your homeowner's or trip insurance, read your policy carefully. A filed police report is usually required for the insurance company to open a theft claim. Repeating my earlier two comments, delaying the police report weakens or even nullifies a claim. Insurance adjusters' job is denying or reducing claims. They may question why you waited so long, how you can be sure of the items stolen since memory fades, why you didn't notify police immediately so they could help recover your luggage, and if the loss was really a theft (e.g. it fell off your car driving home from the airport or you lost an expensive watch a few days after you got home and claimed luggage theft so the watch would be covered). I know you're honest but that's the type of things insurance companies routinely ask...and burden of proof is on you. Sorry about your luggage and hoping to hear a happy ending.

Even if you aren't going to file a theft claim, you will help other travelers by filing a police report. Until reports are filed they have no way of knowing there's a problem.

Edited by kenish

If you plan to file a claim with your homeowner's or trip insurance, read your policy carefully. A filed police report is usually required for the insurance company to open a theft claim. Repeating my earlier two comments, delaying the police report weakens or even nullifies a claim. Insurance adjusters' job is denying or reducing claims. They may question why you waited so long, how you can be sure of the items stolen since memory fades, why you didn't notify police immediately so they could help recover your luggage, and if the loss was really a theft (e.g. it fell off your car driving home from the airport or you lost an expensive watch a few days after you got home and claimed luggage theft so the watch would be covered). I know you're honest but that's the type of things insurance companies routinely ask...and burden of proof is on you. Sorry about your luggage and hoping to hear a happy ending.

Even if you aren't going to file a theft claim, you will help other travelers by filing a police report. Until reports are filed they have no way of knowing there's a problem.

Thanks! One more question...do I file the claim with LGA airport as it was scanned arriving there from Miami? Do I file the report in both areas? Many thanks for all the info!

Thanks! One more question...do I file the claim with LGA airport as it was scanned arriving there from Miami?

Since it seems the last known location was LGA that's where you would file a police report. Best to call LGA airport admin and ask who to file with...possibly the Port Authority police but I really have no idea.

Since it seems the last known location was LGA that's where you would file a police report. Best to call LGA airport admin and ask who to file with...possibly the Port Authority police but I really have no idea.

Many thanks!

I was really hoping someone would have called to say they grabbed it by mistake.

I cannot believe the airport sent our bags on an earlier flight...going around and around the carousel for hours in LGA. They didn't offer to send us on the earlier flight. grrrrrrr!!!!

Yeah, whatever happened to "you must be on the same flight as your luggage, blah, blah, blah?"

Yeah, whatever happened to "you must be on the same flight as your luggage, blah, blah, blah?"

When "positive bag matching" was started (post-Lockerbie?), I was totally puzzled at this. It seemed completely ignorant to assume a person wouldn't destroy the plane they were on. 9/11 tragically proved the point.

I'm no security expert but I think it's actually a small security improvement for a passenger to not know if their luggage is on their plane. Randomness is a key element of security.

Edited by kenish

I'm not much for reality tv shows but over the holidays I did watch a couple of episodes of the show on MIA. Think it might be called Airport 24/7. One was about this very topic and just how common luggage theft is in major airports. They had identified a thief and set him up to be caught. Was very informative.

I realize this does nothing to solve your problem and having lost a bag for good on a return trip from Europe years ago I know what kind of a hassle it can be. Best of luck to you.

We went on a cruise to Greece and our luggage got "lost" somewhere in the Heathrow airport. When it finally caught up with us (four days later) the entire contents of both bags were missing!!!:eek::eek:

During those four days, British Airways claimed to have no idea where they were...even though it was scanned. It also took British Airways SIX months to accept responsibility and pay for our belongings.

On the flip side, we lost a bag on our last trip into FLL and it was waiting for us at baggage claim when we returned to go home.....safe and intact!!

Sorry to hear that you lost your luggage. I am afraid that BA are renowned for their appalling ability to lose luggage, especially at Terminal 5. This has happened to us several times, the last being a few weeks ago when my sons luggage did not arrive with him into Singapore and on the return journey our daughters luggage did not arrive at baggage reclaim and was finally located as having fallen off the conveyor belt.

Terminal 5 is a nightmare for luggage, and losing suitcases is an ongoing problem with BA

They DID give my son a card with a very small payment on it so he could buy essentials, but he had to pay a fee for withdrawing the cash from an ATM and lost some of this less than generous payment in the process.

misrouted?

No they never bothered to put it on the 'plane, although my daughters luggage, which was checked in at the same time, arrived on time. They sent it the next day, but it was very worrying for him until he received it.

:eek:

Sorry to hear that you lost your luggage. I am afraid that BA are renowned for their appalling ability to lose luggage, especially at Terminal 5. This has happened to us several times, the last being a few weeks ago when my sons luggage did not arrive with him into Singapore and on the return journey our daughters luggage did not arrive at baggage reclaim and was finally located as having fallen off the conveyor belt.

Terminal 5 is a nightmare for luggage, and losing suitcases is an ongoing problem with BA

They DID give my son a card with a very small payment on it so he could buy essentials, but he had to pay a fee for withdrawing the cash from an ATM and lost some of this less than generous payment in the process.

Here's an update...luggage was scanned/tracked in Miami and then scanned/tracked as being on the conveyor belt in LGA. Phone call from airlines today telling us to fill out hours worth of stolen luggage paper work, reciepts must be included for any one item over $150. Note to self...save all reciepts. Jewelry, heirlooms, electronics, medicine and liquids are not covered. Yep, 50% of the not included list was in the bag. Of course, a pricey pair of slacks were remembered as being in the bag after sending back the form. I'm sure other items will come to mind months from now. Note to self...picutres of contents and the luggage bag in my future travels.

The thing that steams me...not only was my bag a "woo hoo" target with a priority tag stuck on it (not a snob, upgraded with points)....my address, name, home phone number was also on the bag. Note to self...always use a business address, cell phone number, etc. :(

Here's an update...luggage was scanned/tracked in Miami and then scanned/tracked as being on the conveyor belt in LGA. Phone call from airlines today telling us to fill out hours worth of stolen luggage paper work, reciepts must be included for any one item over $150. Note to self...save all reciepts. Jewelry, heirlooms, electronics, medicine and liquids are not covered. Yep, 50% of the not included list was in the bag. Of course, a pricey pair of slacks were remembered as being in the bag after sending back the form. I'm sure other items will come to mind months from now. Note to self...picutres of contents and the luggage bag in my future travels.

The thing that steams me...not only was my bag a "woo hoo" target with a priority tag stuck on it (not a snob, upgraded with points)....my address, name, home phone number was also on the bag. Note to self...always use a business address, cell phone number, etc. :(

Wow!!!

I can't believe you had electronics and jewelry in a checked in bag. And your home phone number and address to boot??? Sorry but this is just one big learning experience that is a hard lesson.

I have no idea why you are steamed about the Priority Tag. I fly AA up front most of the time due to my status with the airline on domestic flights. Those priority tags certainly aren't a target for thieves. Most in the front of the plane are business flyers or FF and therefore, there is little in their bags except clothes. They know better than to put electronics or anything irreplaceable or overly expensive in checked luggage.

Sorry you are going through this but some of the loss you will suffer you caused yourself.

Note to self...picutres of contents and the luggage bag in my future travels.

Another tip- I have a packing list that I print out a few weeks before each trip. It has columns for the item, quantity, and whether it's packed. It's also arranged in sections- clothing, Rx/toiletries, electronics, etc. Some goes into the checked bag and some is in carry-on. There's also sections for trips to warm climates, formal wear, bicycling trips, motorcycle trips, winter trips, etc. since some sections don't always apply. During the first year or two I added and deleted items from the list. At the end is a "to do" list- travel alert to credit card companies, leave key w/ neighbor, turn down furnace, etc.

Printing out a few weeks in advance gives time to buy things without a mad scramble. It also reminds me of things I may have otherwise forgotten. And it's a list of what I packed should my luggage ever be lost (knock on wood it never has).

I'm really sorry it happened...just curious if you're luggage was a high-end "designer" brand. A former luggage thief said those were attractive targets...something to consider if you unfortunately end up buying a replacement.

Photographing the contents is a good reminder but has very little clout in case of a claim. The photo could have been taken months before, or even after the loss. Many people defraud the system and make it harder for legit claims like yours. I read a suggestion to include a newspaper with the day's headline in the photos...that confirms the photos weren't taken before that date. I don't recall if you notified Baggage Services at the airport when your bag failed to appear...that's the most important element of a claim.

Keep us updated!

Edited by kenish

I can remember about a thousand years ago when you had to show a claim ticket to an attendant before leaving the baggage area with your bags. They checked the ticket with the tag in the bag. This was definitely at LGA and LAX, I want to think at SFO, ORd, and DFW as well, but not positive about the last few. Too bad they don't still do his, it would go a long way I preventing baggage theft and even people accidentally taking the wrong bag.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

Another tip- I have a packing list that I print out a few weeks before each trip. It has columns for the item, quantity, and whether it's packed. It's also arranged in sections- clothing, Rx/toiletries, electronics, etc. Some goes into the checked bag and some is in carry-on. There's also sections for trips to warm climates, formal wear, bicycling trips, motorcycle trips, winter trips, etc. since some sections don't always apply. During the first year or two I added and deleted items from the list. At the end is a "to do" list- travel alert to credit card companies, leave key w/ neighbor, turn down furnace, etc.

Printing out a few weeks in advance gives time to buy things without a mad scramble. It also reminds me of things I may have otherwise forgotten. And it's a list of what I packed should my luggage ever be lost (knock on wood it never has).

I'm really sorry it happened...just curious if you're luggage was a high-end "designer" brand. A former luggage thief said those were attractive targets...something to consider if you unfortunately end up buying a replacement.

Photographing the contents is a good reminder but has very little clout in case of a claim. The photo could have been taken months before, or even after the loss. Many people defraud the system and make it harder for legit claims like yours. I read a suggestion to include a newspaper with the day's headline in the photos...that confirms the photos weren't taken before that date. I don't recall if you notified Baggage Services at the airport when your bag failed to appear...that's the most important element of a claim.

Keep us updated!

Thanks!

No, it was not a LV bag. :)

Yes, baggage services even took us into the back room to search for it.

I save receipts for major clothing purchases, but who saves receipts for underwear, everyday tee shirts, pantyhose etc.? Also they depreciate clothing so if you bought an expensive dress a couple of years ago, they value it as "used" clothing even if you have only worn it once or twice.

So far we have been lucky, but I always hold my breath and cross my fingers until I see my bag on the carousel.

• 3 weeks later...

The airlines treated us right and we received a check for all items claimed within the rules. Minus a few things we didn't bother to claim and/or forgot to claim. (no fault of the airline)

It was surprisingly fast and painless. Less than 4 weeks time.

We will remain loyal customers!!!

Thanks to all for the great informaton! Much appreciated!

I can remember about a thousand years ago when you had to show a claim ticket to an attendant before leaving the baggage area with your bags. They checked the ticket with the tag in the bag. This was definitely at LGA and LAX, I want to think at SFO, ORd, and DFW as well, but not positive about the last few. Too bad they don't still do his, it would go a long way I preventing baggage theft and even people accidentally taking the wrong bag.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

This was the common practice at many airports, not so very long ago, in the U.S. and elsewhere, such as Brazil. I distinctly remember it at LAX. I think it was dispensed with due to expense for the airports (and passed along to airlines and passengers) and/or complaints about delays getting out of the baggage area.