FOS- Breakfast and Lunch in the MDR

We are sailing Royal for our first time, and after reading threads here, we definitely want to try breakfast and lunch in the MDR at least once, but I have some questions.

How long do these meals take?

How busy do they get (is there a wait)?

Any choices that are not to be missed?

Is lunch only in the MDR on sea days?

Thanks in advance!

We are sailing Royal for our first time, and after reading threads here, we definitely want to try breakfast and lunch in the MDR at least once, but I have some questions.

Thanks in advance!

Breakfast is every day in the MDR, lunch usually only on sea days. I'd budget an hour for the meal, and there's usually very little wait.

Thanks in advance!

I have never done lunch in the MDR but have done several breakfasts. It is a good menu, but the same every day. The French Toast is good. It is also a good place to go to get turkey alternatives to pork (like sausage).

There is also a small buffet near the entrance with some things to keep you busy until your order comes.

There was never a wait the 4-5 times I have gone for breakfast...

As fast as you can order and eat....that's how long it takes! I would say less than an hour...but even if it does take an hour...what else do you have to do? You're on vacation! Relax...enjoy! There's PLENTY of time for everything! We love the MDR for breakfast....so much nicer than the buffet! No searching for seats, utensils, juice, syrup, etc.....it's all on your table...just enjoy!

Edited by cb at sea

At lunch the Tutti salad is a favorite. You select all the items you want in your salad. A staff member puts everything in a large bowl. They toss your selections in the dressing you chose. Then they put your salad in a bowl and hand it to you to take back to your table.

I loved the way the fruit was in individual serving containers instead of being mixed together. You could choose just the type of fruit you wanted.

One morning there were a number of chocolate breakfast items on the menu.

We love breakfast and lunch in the dining room.

The Tutti salad is delicious- my husband and I cruised on the Freedom OTS and we had 3 sea days... the first one, we went to the dining room and had that. I ended up having it all 3 sea days, it was so good :). Best salad ever!

We like the breakfast in the dining room on Royal the best because of the buffet-style area. It works if someone wants a nice hearty breakfast and someone else you're with just wants some cereal.

Ditto! Best salad bar ever and it is on all ships in mdr on all sea days. Enjoy! You can fight for a table in Windjammer but it will only be a few minutes difference in total meal time. Be served instead of serving yourself. It is a vacation!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

Ditto! Best salad bar ever and it is on all ships in mdr on all sea days. Enjoy! You can fight for a table in Windjammer but it will only be a few minutes difference in total meal time. Be served instead of serving yourself. It is a vacation!

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Forums mobile app

This is actually what we're thinking!

Note that at lunch they usually want your dessert order at the same time as your main order.

MDR is the place to get free (OK, "already paid for") hard scooped ice cream.

And for breakfast, the Eggs Benedict on my last Navigator were really good.

MDR breakfast also usually has a buffet area in the middle, and you order from the menu and go to the buffet.

I often did this -- getting fruit in the buffet area (in the MDR), and then my Eggs Benedict from the waiter.

Also note that for breakfast and lunch you will usually be seated with others you have never met before.

We find this is one good way to meet new people on the ship.

MDR Breakfast and lunch is always "open seating" -- no set time or reserved tables.

(It used to be fixed time and table when we first started cruising.)

Edited by Jimnbigd

• 4 weeks later...
Note that at lunch they usually want your dessert order at the same time as your main order.

MDR breakfast also usually has a buffet area in the middle, and you order from the menu and go to the buffet.

I often did this -- getting fruit in the buffet area (in the MDR), and then my Eggs Benedict from the waiter.

Also note that for breakfast and lunch you will usually be seated with others you have never met before.

MDR Breakfast and lunch is always "open seating" -- no set time or reserved tables.

What are the breakfast & lunch opening times on FOS? Any ideas?

What are the breakfast & lunch opening times on FOS? Any ideas?

It can vary day to day. You will get a new Cruise Compass (daily schedule) the night before, so you will be able to see the open times of all the venues ahead of time.

As fast as you can order and eat....that's how long it takes! I would say less than an hour...but even if it does take an hour...what else do you have to do? You're on vacation! Relax...enjoy! There's PLENTY of time for everything! We love the MDR for breakfast....so much nicer than the buffet! No searching for seats, utensils, juice, syrup, etc.....it's all on your table...just enjoy!

Why, after even just one visit to the Windjammer for breakfast, anyone would have to search for utensils, juice, syrup etc. is beyond me. They are all in plain sight and in the same places each morning and you don't have to search for the assistant waiter if you want a second helping of toast or pastries, or want more than an ice cream scoop serving of scrambled eggs. Take as much or as little as you want of the very wide variety of breakfast items rather than be restricted by the portion control oriented main dining room cooks. Some times in the MDR there can be a lengthy wait between the time you place your order and it actually arrives at your table.

1. This used to happen a while ago, but has not happened to me in a long long time.

2. You can ask for your own table if you want it. Their default action is to seat you with others, but it is not required.