birthday cake in PC dining room

K D cruiser

I'm treating my sister to a cruise for her Halloween birthday on the Golden. It's her first time on Princess and her first balcony, so I want everything to be perfect for her. Does anyone know if I can request a birthday cake in PC dining? On my last cruise in PC, the table next to us got a cake, but now I wonder if they had a reservation for that table and thus got to know their waiters. Has anyone tried to do this and if so, how do I arrange it? Also, what about balloons on the stateroom door? Thanks for any info.

If you want a special cake, then it is wise to talk to the head of that diningroom and make sure they order it. Then when you turn up for dinner that night just let them know that you have an order and they will see where you are seated. If you wait until you are seated to ask about a birthday cake it will only be the little tiny personal cake you get.

Since your cruise isn't until October, be sure to go to the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website. Under "Special Requests" down at the bottom, there is a section for "Special Occasions". Fill that out. Be sure to put what day you want the birthday celebrated. By doing this the balloons will magically appear on your door and the dining room should find you for the cake and singing. As in any planning though, it can't hurt to take the room steward aside and request the balloons as well as taking the head waiter aside and request the cake. You can also ask what flavor cake they have. We have had carrot cake on a couple of occasions. It was okay, but I much prefer chocolate. You might as well get what you like! ;)

If you have requested a special celebration on your cruise personalizer or with your TA they will deliver your cake. You can also arrange this with your Waiter/Head Waiter onboard.

You also will have your cabin door decorated with a Happy Birthday sign & balloons.

I entered my husband birthday in the Cruise Personalizer last year and nothing was done for him. The only thing he got was a note in our cabin from one of the local merchants congratulating him on his birthday and offering him a discount if he purchased something from the store. For our cruise next year (again a birthday celebration for DH birthday) I told the Princess rep (person we made our original booking with), our TA (when booking was transferred), and entered it into the Cruise Personalizer. We'll see if it works next year.

I entered the info for our cruise on Diamond last Dec. There was a birthday and an anniversary. We got ballons on both, as well as chocolate cakes. We did not eat the cake at dinner. The waiter at Santa Fe wrapped it with foil and made a swan look basket for me to carry. The waiter at Vivaldi just brought a cover over and handed me the whole thing, plate, cake and the plastic cover. At the end I gave both cakes to our room steward.

If you want anything other than the small cake there is an additional charge. The small one is fine for two and if you like chocolate you will love it!

I don't know what ships you were on. But I have never paid extra for the larger or special cakes. On the Caribbean Princess in June, I ordered an ice cream cake with chocolate icing and with fresh strawberries on the side with the name of the recipient on top. In February on the Caribbean Princess I order special cakes for an anniversary and for a birthday. Both cakes were different and sufficient for 10 people. I have done the same on all my 11 Princess cruises. In fact on one 10 day cruise we had special cakes seven times. I have never been charged for the cakes. Although I always had Traditional Dining, I doubt that makes any difference to Princess. Just advise the Table Captain or maitre d' the night before of what you desire and your waiter when you are seated on the special night. However, although I was not charged for the cakes, I did tip the person who arranged it for me.

I don't know what ships you were on. But I have never paid extra for the larger or special cakes. On the Caribbean Princess in June, I ordered an ice cream cake with chocolate icing and with fresh strawberries on the side with the name of the recipient on top. In February on the Caribbean Princess I order special cakes for an anniversary and for a birthday. Both cakes were different and sufficient for 10 people. I have done the same on all my 11 Princess cruises. In fact on one 10 day cruise we had special cakes seven times. I have never been charged for the cakes. Although I always had Traditional Dining, I doubt that makes any difference to Princess. Just advise the Table Captain or maitre d' the night before of what you desire and your waiter when you are seated on the special night. However, although I was not charged for the cakes, I did tip the person who arranged it for me.

I wish you hadn't said that it is free. I may have to order a choc. cake for my birthday in Oct. and ask for a table for one. :D Death by choc. in the South Pacific, what a way to go.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did enter the information in the cruise personalizer, but I've read here that it doesn't always work. I think I'll check with the room steward about the balloons and speak with the head waiter just to make sure. My sister has been on Celebrity and RCL and I've been raving about Princess, so I just want everything to be special for her.

On the Caribbean Princess in June, I ordered an ice cream cake with chocolate icing and with fresh strawberries on the side with the name of the recipient on top.

Did you order this cake when you got onboard? Also, my DD doesn't like chocolate...are there other options?

Thanks! Melanie

You also will have your cabin door decorated with a Happy Birthday sign & balloons.

Is that for any category cabin or only the suites? I was planning on bringing my own decorations for my DD's 9th birthday but if they are going to decorate the door then my bag just got a little lighter!!! :D

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I did enter the information in the cruise personalizer, but I've read here that it doesn't always work.

I wouldn't rely on it. In fact, I would be very surprised to see a cake turn up simply because you mentioned her occasion on the personalizer. You can probably rely on some decorations, but other than that...you will probably have to make some arrangements.

On the Tahitian people were getting a rich chocolate layer cake. Serves 10 or more people. The first cruise a table had some extra and they brought it over to our table. The next cruise I asked our tablemates if anyone was having a birthday, cause they have a great choc. cake. Well one did and she was also a chocoholic so her friend ordered one. I just assumed you would have to pay for the big one. Those of you who have ordered the big one, did they charge you and how much. And if any of you recently back from the Tahitian saw the big choc. cakes let me know. I wanted to know if they still have them.

Ref: Decorations. For our anniversary, all I really wanted was the balloons. Well they weren't there in the morning, they weren't there at noon. I finally talked to purser and steward. They finally brought them and the anniversary sign. There were also two anniversary champagne flutes on the table. I called the pursers office and asked what the flutes were for. They said you probably ordered a package, I said I didn't and they put me on hold and came back and said I could keep the flutes. I brought the balloons and sign into the mini-suite and put them over the desk. With that big mirror it was neat, and they lasted the second B2B also.

Melb1127: Yes, the balloons are for any category of cabin. But they are just 2 balloons. If you want additional decorations you would probably want to bring them. If your daughter is attending the Fun Zone, you could ask there if they do anything special. I know they have lots of "prizes". Maybe one could be wrapped up as a present. ;)

Hi,

I had to step in and tell you about my cake experience. I filled out the on-line personalizer with the day of my birthday. Am I vain or what? Anyway, I received the most delicious chocolate cake (the waiters sang) and the door to my room was decorated with balloons. (I really didn't expect this to happen as I had planned something like this on Celebrity for my husband and they did nothing! even after reminding them)

Well, talk about being embarrassed...the night I received the cake my husband told me that he asked the maitre d to do a special cake for me. He then asked him to cancel. Two nights later I received a huge cake decorated with my name. My wonderful waiter discreetly told me he was bringing it out. (after he took my dessert order). He promised he wouldn't sing this time. We shared the cake with our tablemates and another table. It was the best! I can really say that they made me feel very special. That is why I am hooked on Princess. (among other reasons).

Good Luck!

I wouldn't rely on it. In fact, I would be very surprised to see a cake turn up simply because you mentioned her occasion on the personalizer. You can probably rely on some decorations, but other than that...you will probably have to make some arrangements.

We got the decorations, cakes with candle and waiters singing, the whole thing.

The cake was about the same as the pic Coral posted but no rose and only 1 layer as there were just 2 of us at personal choice dining.

I think it all depends on whether there is anything falling into crack between the orders and the execution - which has nothing to do with whether if you arranged on-line or on-board. Luck of draw.

There is one benefit of requesting the birthday, anniversary or other type of celebration online that normally does not occur if you ask for it once on board the ship. By putting the request in the Cruise Personalizer, you also get a card signed by the Captain.

In 11 cruises on Princess, I have never failed to get clebration requests that I put in the Cruise Personalizer. But it is always good for you to follow up by reminding your room steward and your head waiter the night before the celebration.

The category of your cabin has no impact on the cakes you receive. Princess use to give a larger cake all the time and it was the same cake every night. They found most of those cakes were wasted so they went to to smaller indiviudal cakes unless a larger cake is requested once on board. At that time they also started offering differnt choices for cake.

Yes you can request a none chocolate cake. But you must realize that chocolate is one of Princess's specialities.

And if you are a real chocoholic, you can order everynight the Princess Love Boat Delight from the Anytime Menu . Plus they always have some other chocolate dessert each night.

Melb1127:If your daughter is attending the Fun Zone, you could ask there if they do anything special. I know they have lots of "prizes". Maybe one could be wrapped up as a present. ;)

What a great idea! I will be sure to do that! :) :)

Listed my daughter's b-day in the personalizer: she turned 7 a few days before our last cruise in August. There were no decorations on the door when we got there. A few days later I decided to call the desk because I figured somehow the info got lost. I asked if there was some way we could take the cake to the fun zone so she can share with the other kids. We were told no because food isn't allowed there and as far as having the cake at the kids' dinner in the Horizon, that was out too because some kids may have an allergy to the cake.

One night, the waiter brought out the cake to the table but our girl was at the fun zone. So either we took it with or asked that it got delivered to our cabin with plates, etc. (can't remember which).

There were finally balloons on the door. We figured maybe another door got decorated by mistake on the first day or else the above idea that our request got lost in electronic space.

It was a chocolate cake, very rich and took a couple of days for us to eat -- my girl doesn't eat a lot, not even cake.

cake.jpg.d104dd0286be99e333461c1c4d53fc4e.jpg

Archived