What do you tip your cabin steward?

lbt43

$20 - $30 for a 7-9 day and a hero card. We don't ask for extras, but I can leave things in a bit of a "whirlwind" ;) and appreciate them doing such a nice job in making sure that I have a neat room to come back to with fresh towels each time.

In addition to the DSC, I usually tip an extra $20. I travel solo and don't make a mess and have always said if the service wasn't great, I wouldn't leave the extra tip. Funny thing is, that on all of my many cruises, I've always left that extra tip. That's why I love cruising.

Following the phrase for which TIPS is an acronym (To Insure Proper Service), we have always tipped our cabin steward $20-30 at the very beginning of the cruise. As a result, we have always received exceptional service, with the stewards going out of their way to be helpful and adding thoughtful, extra touches.

As a fairly novice cruiser, with only 3 under my belt, I'm not sure if we have just been exceptionally lucky with our cabin stewards! We certainly didn't tip at the BEGINNING of the cruise ( I didn't even know this went on! :o ) But we also received exceptional service with very helpful stewards. Our steward on the Epic brought us a lounger for our balcony.........without being asked! Our steward on the Jade put my wine back in the fridge when I mistakenly left it out........and left a fresh glass with a note beside it telling me just that! :) Needless to say we left a tip at the end of our cruises.

And to answer the OP's original question.........we left $20 :)

We usually give $20 up front because I usually want the mini fridge cleaned out, we expect ice, & I warn them that DH loves to sleep in & we will screw up the steward's cleaning schedule but I'd rather have a well rested / happy hubby than a made bed. It freaks them out that they can't get in there all the time. If they leave DH alone, exchange towels with me in the hallway while DH is sleeping if they haven't been able to get into the cabin, & bring ice when they can, we often throw in another $10 - $20 at the end.

We left $50 for each of 2 staterooms yesterday on the Breakaway. Anyone who has to work on Christmas day deserves a break and something extra on Christmas week. My steward had to cover 16 cabins. Tipping would be easier if one knew the breakdown of the $12 DSC.

We had pre paid tips, our steward was cool, we only had the room made up maybe 4 times during our 7 day cruise, I can easily use the same towel more then once, and I can also sleep w/ the same sheets and cover more then one time, we were easy going, we didn't ask for anything at all the entire time, your steward normally comes in 1 time in the AM and 1 time at night to turn down the beds, refill your ice bucket and make a towel demon...He did empty my ash tray on the balcony twice a day when he came to make up the room...

I heard it be said, that a positive hero card does more for the employee than anything else. Management uses these to determine future promotions for the employees. We always fill out complementary hero cards for all who serve us well.

What would an exceptional room steward be promoted to? Only one head housekeeper per ship and I am sure that position doesn't open up very often.

You are correct about the hero cards, but it has more to do with perks and bonuses rather than job promotions.

We left $50 for each of 2 staterooms yesterday on the Breakaway. Anyone who has to work on Christmas day deserves a break and something extra on Christmas week. My steward had to cover 16 cabins. Tipping would be easier if one knew the breakdown of the $12 DSC.

wow, I think you went above and beyond< I never heard of anyone tipping $50 to each steward, the regular one and his/her assistant.

The way I look at it , I don't have to make the bed , bed well any house cleaning for a week ,we always leave $10.00 per day to the steward ($5.00 per passenger )

From the NCL website:

What about Tipping?

Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of our staff are encouraged to "go the extra mile," and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of our guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Also, certain staff positions provide service on an individual basis to only some guests. We encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities. For example, for guests purchasing bar drinks the recommended gratuity is 15 percent. For guests purchasing spa treatments the recommended gratuity is 18 percent. Similarly, for guests using concierge and butler services, we recommend they consider offering a gratuity commensurate with services rendered.

I usually always give a $20.00 bill when I first meet them. I ask them to please keep the ice coming. I don't expect much but I do expect them to keep the ice coming. If they do what I ask (keep the ice coming) they may get a extra bonus when I leave. If not, so be it. :p

I am the same way with the $20 at the beginning of the cruise and ask that there is always plenty of ice in the cabin.

If that happens, I give another $20 at the end of the cruise.

Don

I would never tip at the beginning of a cruise to ensure great service, because I expect great service anyway. I'd rather give the person a chance and see how they do without any incentive. It means more to me that way. I will not tip extra for what I consider doing a great job, because that should be the norm. I might tip extra for exceptional service, or going above and beyond what would be considered normal parts of the job.

I usually always give a $20.00 bill when I first meet them. I ask them to please keep the ice coming. I don't expect much but I do expect them to keep the ice coming. If they do what I ask (keep the ice coming) they may get a extra bonus when I leave. If not, so be it. :p

I do the same thing. I give him or her 20.00 when I meet them and ask the same thing, I have always had over and above service after that. I give them 20. when I depart.