Freedom of the seas in Alaska

Can Explorer be receiving An enclosed solarium during drydock

Good question!! But since Jewel is spotted in San Pedro's LA port schedule both May and Oct 2015, probably doesn't matter. I can see her staying in PC for a while (the Vision Colon ABC itinerary is being deleted after April 2014 and it looks like both Mariner and Legend will pick up several itineraries including the ABCs) until 2016/17 when either Anthem or Oasis III is built, then who knows where the ships gets redeployed.

Good question!! But since Jewel is spotted in San Pedro's LA port schedule both May and Oct 2015, probably doesn't matter. I can see her staying in PC for a while (the Vision Colon ABC itinerary is being deleted after April 2014 and it looks like both Mariner and Legend will pick up several itineraries including the ABCs) until 2016/17 when either Anthem or Oasis III is built, then who knows where the ships gets redeployed.

I did read about that with the Jewel

W

...Bottom Line is that while the new locks can fit both Voyager and Freedom Class Ships, there is no way possible at all that they wll fit under the bridge of Americas at the Pacific side of the Canal...
While I agree that Freedom at 209 feet above water [i think that is the height, there are multiple values out there] will not clear the Bridge of the Americas at its high tide clearance of 201 feet. BUT tidal variations at Balboa [the Pacific end of the Panama Canal] range up to 20 feet. It seems that Freedom should be able to easily make it under the bridge if properly timed. Obviously this would severely impact a regular schedule as passage would have to be timed to coincide with appropriate tides. Considering the "dance" that ship do in the Panama Canal [into Gatun in the morning from both Pacific and Atlantic, then those ships out in the afternoon, then a repeat process at night], coordinating a Freedom transit would be difficult and no doubt quite expensive, but I think that it is technically possible with the new locks. Of course even if it is technically possible, that doesn't say that it will happen.

Thom

The Solstice is 121,878 GT with 1033ft length, 121 ft beam and 27 feet draft.
Solstice is 1041 feet long and 121 feet wide at the waterline.
Wow! The Solstice just grew by eight feet in only two minutes!! :eek:
Wikipedia and cruise-ships.com list Solstice at 1033ft. Celebrity and Meyer Werft list her at 1041. I have sailed on her but have not personally measured her.;) I guess I'd go with the shipyard answer.

Thom

Cant people on wikipedia change information?

Yes, and funny you should mention this. I had a friendly discussion/debate/bet with another member here some years ago about the legal drinking age in one of the ports... gosh, I can't remember which port.... but he swore Wikipedia was correct. I said anyone can go in there and change the info; he said umm, no you can't do that. Anyway, after he bet me, suffice it to say that one of the members following along DID change the drinking age (lowering it!) and he was proven wrong. He apologized and made a nice little donation to the charity of my choice. :)

I have never, ever trusted Wiki for information for this reason. It's simply not reliable as anyone can access it and change it.

Not sure how accurate it is even though it has given some good past indications on where ships will potentially sail (e.g. Quantum and Anthem most recently) but the St Maarten cruise ship schedule shows Freedom arriving every other Thursday through April 2016. Yes, things can change but I doubt it would be Alaska.

http://201.220.14.27/sxmonline/VesselScheduleCruise.aspx

The Explorer is moving to Port Canaveral in November 2014. The two week cruise is open for booking and it is filling up fast.
RCI has a series of itineraries on EX from Port C starting in November, 2014. They just extended this into 2015 (until Feb. I think) as the ship is selling so well. Our 12-4-2014 9 night EX cruise to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao & Labadee is selling well and the JS we booked has gone up about $250 per person.

I cannot see where Jewel of the Seas listed in May 2015 in Los Angeles.

http://www.portsamerica.com/cruise/los-angeles-terminal.html

Actually The Jewel OTS stops at San Pedro 3 times in 2015.

Sept 26, Oct 3 and Oct 10.

Make sure you reset the year to 2015.

Edited by The Big Booper