Grandeur Embarcation

Park cafe but not til 1. WJ wasn't ready til noon.. we began boarding at 1030.

rooms were announced about 130.

This was our experience as well. We just grabbed a plate from WJ and ate in the Solarium. WJ was absolutely packed when they opened it.

Thanks,

We live close enough & I as a result will probably plan on arriving later rather than earlier - though I like getting on early... Toss up right now, we'll probably leave the house when we are ready to leave rather than will an arrival time in mind... :o)

It's crazy how quickly the WJ gets packed, so I have decided to try the following on my next cruise: eat a big breakfast, get to the pier as early as practical, find a nice spot on board to sit until the cabins open up, drop off my carry on bag, and then go for lunch. Hopefully I'll be heading in the opposite direction of the major crowd flow. We'll see ;)

Thanks,

We live close enough & I as a result will probably plan on arriving later rather than earlier - though I like getting on early... Toss up right now, we'll probably leave the house when we are ready to leave rather than will an arrival time in mind... :o)

It's crazy how quickly the WJ gets packed, so I have decided to try the following on my next cruise: eat a big breakfast, get to the pier as early as practical, find a nice spot on board to sit until the cabins open up, drop off my carry on bag, and then go for lunch. Hopefully I'll be heading in the opposite direction of the major crowd flow. We'll see ;)

Why get there early then? Wait till one, get on, drop off bags at room, go get lunch after everybody else. :)

Ah, good question. I would rather get there early because the vacation officially starts when I first set foot on the ship - the earlier the better :D

P.S. Maureen, I love your solo cruise reviews - they are so much fun, and the pictures are terrific!

Why get there early then? Wait till one, get on, drop off bags at room, go get lunch after everybody else. :)

we are 20 minutes from the pier, and we go early as well. we use the time to slowly make our way around and check everything out, before heading to Solarium to grab the first Beef on Weck of the week. while everyone is packed in the WJ, the rest of the public spaces are mostly empty so you can get some good pictures.

We just got off Grandeur a week or so back. I'm almost positive that Park Cafe was open when embarked at about 10:45AM.

Regardless, WJ was busy as it always is on embarkation day lunch, but it was WAY better than our experience on Enchantment. The stretch (and all the extra passengers that came with it) overloaded WJ all the time, and embarkation day lunch was NUTS - it was literally shoulder to shoulder in there.

Regardless, we got food at WJ and went forward across the pool deck to the solarium to eat..at which point (like I said) I seem to remember seeing PC open.

That's what we do on most ships. Didn't have to on Allure as we boarded in the first group and went straight to Park Cafe and there's enough lunch options. On EN, EX and FR, we learned to wait til the cabins open up and then grab something for lunch as the crowds rush to their cabins. We always do late dining anyway, so a later lunch works best for us. Our one and only trip on GR so far was before Park Cafe and we did the WJ lunch as soon as we boarded which was early fortunately.

heading to Solarium to grab the first Beef on Weck of the week. .

What is that?

We like to get aboard early .... then people watch and explore before we grab a salad and tea (lines seem not as bad at the healthy food options) :D

What is that?

We like to get aboard early .... then people watch and explore before we grab a salad and tea (lines seem not as bad at the healthy food options) :D

a slice of disgustingly rare roast beast on a kemmelweck bun, served with horseradish and/or gravy. carved to order at Park Cafe. especially tasty on cold December day with some uber yummy potato soup. or the broccoli cheese. whichever. PC also has some good salads.. at lunch they have a pick your own ( they toss) on a smaller scale than the tutti in MDR plus every day they will have a few others in the case.

a slice of disgustingly rare roast beast on a kemmelweck bun, served with horseradish and/or gravy. carved to order at Park Cafe. especially tasty on cold December day with some uber yummy potato soup. or the broccoli cheese. whichever. PC also has some good salads.. at lunch they have a pick your own ( they toss) on a smaller scale than the tutti in MDR plus every day they will have a few others in the case.

Perhaps it's the latest example of cost cutting by RCCL, but they were no longer tossing the salads in the PC on the 12/22 Allure sailing. They put in the ingredients, add salad dressing and gave it to you.

Perhaps it's the latest example of cost cutting by RCCL, but they were no longer tossing the salads in the PC on the 12/22 Allure sailing. They put in the ingredients, add salad dressing and gave it to you.

I noticed that on Grandeur. Admittedly, tossing them for you did create a HUGE amount of dirty dishes since a clean bowl was used for each salad prepared.

They had two different sized bowls available now, though - even if you want a small salad you can ask for it in a large bowl so there's lots of room to toss it yourself. Not a big deal to me really.

P.S. Maureen, I love your solo cruise reviews - they are so much fun, and the pictures are terrific!

Thank You so much! I can't wait to do my next one, gotta book a cruise first!

Bob, Thanks for the video. I guess I better start yodeling when I order one!