Ocean Princess

KCI

We booked a 14 day Caribbean cruise for next Christmas on the Ocean Princess while we were on a 10 day Caribbean cruise on Emerald Princess. I'm having second thoughts now and hope some of you can help me out. While on the Emerald Princess the weather was stormy and for the 1st 4 or so days, the ship rocked frequently. It is a much bigger ship than Ocean Princess and I'm concerned that if we encounter rough seas on the much smaller ship that the rocking will be much worse. The future cruise salesperson said the Emerald Princess is a much higher ship and therefore, catches the wind but the Ocean Princess being smaller would not have the same problem. Sounds like a sales pitch to me...so I ask all of you, does a smaller ship rock more in rough seas or not? Thanks for any input you may have. :)

It all depends. The small ships have stabilizers that are as efficient as the large ships in reducing side-to-side motion. I dare say the small ships are better in this regard because the higher decks on large ships are like sails and ship movement is more affected if there are strong winds. The large ships are better in fore-to-aft movement although the small ships are designed to cut through waves better.

Comparing ship movement, you'd have to take into account a number of factors: wind speed and direction, ship speed and direction, current speed and direction, and wave height, speed and direction. Obviously, some of these affect the others but it's rare to have the same variables on both ships at the same time. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

Have been on both little girls and not faced much above Beaufort 5 or 6.

They are small and slice through the water very well, I noticed this when we had a transit through open water swells. Book a low and center cabin if you are sensitive to motion and take the necessary prevention with you. WE absolutely loved the Ocean Princess....our most recent cruise!