Celebrity Transfer from Rome to Civitavecchia

suntan

I've taken the Rome to Civitavecchia train and always been at an outlying track in Civitavecchia requiring going down steps, through the tunnel under other tracks and up the stairs to the Civitavecchia station. How do you identify "correct" trains with no stairs. [i assume there is a way to tell this that I hope to learn about].

thanks

Thom

The trains that terminate at Civ. stop on the last set of tracks closest to the ocean side. You don't have to go down & up the stairs.

Rather than get three transfers and meet the Celebrity transfer bus at Rome airport, we would hire a cab to get to the ship in Civitavecchia.

Check the Ports of Call for more information about Rome.

-Marisa

Edited by USVI-4-me

We are sailing on the Silhouette September 12th. We will be flying into Rome two days prior to embarkation. We are trying to find a way to get to Civitavecchia without lugging our luggage up/down stairs at the train station. I'm travelling with two older women, one with back problems. Do you know if it's possible to purchase the Celebrity transfer and use it on embarkation day? I'm going to presume we would have to make our way back to the airport to get the transfer. We will your thoughts or suggestions on this. Thank you and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

My thoughts are that it makes no sense for your small group to go back to FCO just to get a transfer. It would probably cost you no more (probably less) to just arrange a private transfer from your Rome hotel directly to the port. Your hotel can arrange for a private car/driver, you could simply use a taxi, or we would recommend just booking your own transfer with a reputable transfer company like Romecabs (Romecabs.com). I should mention that Romecabs would charge about 150 Euros (total cost) to transfer 4 persons (including all their luggage) for any Rome Hotel to the port. A taxi might be a little cheaper, but not as nice :) Rome cabs (and some of their competitiors) will send a nice car/driver to pick you up right at your hotel and they will drive you directly to your cruise ship pier (they have access to the port). The drive will take about 1:20 (give or take a few min depending on traffic).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

About 10 mins; exit station building to right, either cross over the forecourt and down the steps and cross the road, or continue along the path and down the slope past hotels and across various minor roads then cross the main road when you can see the giant sailor and girlfriend statue by the waterside. Either way keep the water front on your left as you walk to the port gate bus pick up area which is just past a row of sales kiosks/shops.

Thanks,

The last time I was there was with the limo transfer.

I may like to take the train to Rome if I don't find people to share the transportation.My flight to London will be in the afternoon.

The trains that terminate at Civ. stop on the last set of tracks closest to the ocean side. You don't have to go down & up the stairs.
We took a local that had NO listed stops beyond Civ, but we definitely had to go downstairs, thru the tunnel and back up the stairs. Perhaps that is not the norm, but it was for us. Absolutely no elevators that we could find. Luckily I am able to carry the bags down and up, but considering that we were gone for four weeks (4 nights in Rome, plus 24 on the Equinox [last Med, plus the Trans-Atlantic]) I'm glad that in general we could roll our bags the rest of the way.

My thoughts are that it makes no sense for your small group to go back to FCO just to get a transfer. It would probably cost you no more (probably less) to just arrange a private transfer from your Rome hotel directly to the port. Your hotel can arrange for a private car/driver, you could simply use a taxi, or we would recommend just booking your own transfer with a reputable transfer company like Romecabs (Romecabs.com). I should mention that Romecabs would charge about 150 Euros (total cost) to transfer 4 persons (including all their luggage) for any Rome Hotel to the port. A taxi might be a little cheaper, but not as nice :) Rome cabs (and some of their competitiors) will send a nice car/driver to pick you up right at your hotel and they will drive you directly to your cruise ship pier (they have access to the port). The drive will take about 1:20 (give or take a few min depending on traffic).

Hank

Hank, thank you for the great information. It's very helpful. I will check out Rome cabs.

Sue

Yes, we had researched the train schedule from Civitavecchia to Rome and found that if we waited for the shuttles runs to begin then we would have missed the first express train. We were eager to get into Rome as early as possible so we could see as much as possible. We walked to the gate, bought our train tickets just outside the gate, but then needed to walk quite a bit after that to the train station. We did take the free shuttle back from gate to ship since we weren't in a hurry at the end of the day.

Hmmm. We have always been among the first off the ship and the shuttle has always been waiting; we usually try for the 8:03 train. How early did you go?

Hmmm. We have always been among the first off the ship and the shuttle has always been waiting; we usually try for the 8:03 train. How early did you go?

Well, lucky you to always have a shuttle waiting. I can't remember what time we left the ship, but it was as early as we could get off in August 2011. It was our first time in Civitavecchia and we were anxious about finding the ticket counter and train station, so we followed other people who were headed toward the gate.

Well, lucky you to always have a shuttle waiting. I can't remember what time we left the ship, but it was as early as we could get off in August 2011. It was our first time in Civitavecchia and we were anxious about finding the ticket counter and train station, so we followed other people who were headed toward the gate.

We were on NCL Jade for a B2B in December and went into Rome on the middle changeover day; off ship at 0715 and had to wait for 3rd shuttle to port gate leaving about 0730. Caught the 0803 train. Most of the shuttles leave without being full of pax because they simply don't have enough space underneath for all the luggage.