What do we REALLY get dressed up for?

ekerr19

I thought the food on HAL has actually gotten better and more interesting....especially in the dining room.

I sailed on the Zuiderdam in December....having last sailed on HAL in 1999 on the Rotterdam VI transatlantic that spring. I personally thought the food's come a long way! Seemed more interesting, better presentation, etc.

In any case...not really about the dress code I know, but I'd say the food was definitely better than a national food chain of some sort. Not like the very best restaurants here in DC, but pretty decent.

I will agree the lighting in the Zuidy dining room is harsh....in fact, I found it harsh in many places throughout the ship, especially at night...what about that old concept....mood lighting!

Jeff

Because, at 50, it will be our first cruise. For that reason alone it will definitely be something special. It's a somewhat delayed 25th anniversary gift from my FIL, so it's special for that reason as well. While we will have our youngest DD (13) with us, so it may not be as romantic as it could have been. On the other handit was she who insisted that we go prepared to attend the formal nights (with a land tour before the cruise, DW and I had considered not taking anything formal).

And because it will be our first cruise, we will not be jaded by the evolution (devolution) of the industry as perceived by many of you experienced cruisers. We are thrilled to be going and looking forward to being spoiled. :D

The plane takes off next Monday morning!

...The dining room staff, by the second night, know your name, what you like to drink, how you like your steak prepared, whether you need sweetener or creamer in your coffee, and maybe even the names of your children. You won't get that in many 4-5 star restaurants!...

if that's the criterion for a 4-5 star restaurant, then i would give my recent trip aboard the zuiderdam no more than 2 stars. the dining staff had no clue as to my name nor what i liked to drink, no idea how i liked steak prepared or even if i was a vegetarian, whether i drank coffee / tea / something else, etc. i would actually rate the food a lot better than the staff, but even so think the comparison to a medium-grade chain is appropriate. esp with regard to the unimaginative salad (singular) selection and the terrible (sometimes inedible) desserts.

but to answer the question, i dress because it's requested for me to do so - if it was not, i wouldn't go more than country club casual... simply because i don't particularly enjoy formalwear (and can't wait to get out of the penguin-suit as soon as possible after mealtime).

and i wasn't aware about oceania... i may have to look into them, as the food IS everything for me (in the dining experience) and all-casual is appealing.

We get dressed up because it is a special occasion, an event. Going to a chain restaurant is fine, but neither special nor an event.

We had a fabulous meal this evening at Carraba's - we ordered one of the specials and it was far superior to anything we've had recently on HAL - and the service was beyond top notch.
You must live in a different part of Colorado. Carraba's is about the only chain we won't go to anymore. I still shudder at the memory of last meal I ate at one - several years ago. EVERY dinner I've had on HAL has been better than that one. I wouldn't say they were all even good, but certainly better than my Carraba's meal.

It seems there are two issues your writing about that are both seperate and yet related. I can't speak for the food on HAL yet, but I will after Aug. 13. since I will be shoving off on the Zuiderdam. But if I hear what your saying, I might just be disappointed but I have had some really great meals and service on Celebrity and Princess.

As to dressing up - I'm sure you wouldn't want someone (me) to sit at your table with a tank top, swimming trunks, and those sandals or some upscale version of it especially when it's formal night. It's about the inner you. To feel good, look spectacular, and having class. It's all relative and symptomatic of "who cares" in our society. Personally, I'll dress up and my wife also and do my thing. I believe that was a song.

Michael

I think Sail7seas hit the nail on the head when she said it's all about respect...respect for yourself...for your spouse/companion...for the cruiseline policies...for the staff...for the tradition, etc.

Most people of my vintage were raised to show respect for others in many ways that have virtually disappeared in today's society. To us, "respect" was our way of saying: "You are important." We were told that dressing "appropriately" was a sign of respect. We wore our best clothes to church to show respect to God. We dressed up for a wedding to show our friends that their important day was indeed a special occasion. We dressed well for funerals to honor the memory of people we cared about and to show the family that we supported them in their grief. Showing respect was considered a fundamental requirement of good manners.

I know that there will be many people who will say that respect has nothing to do with the clothing that we wear...and they may be right, but those ideas are deeply ingrained in many of us. Every time I read one of these threads about dress codes, I can usually guess which posters are close to me in age. Times have changed, and there are different norms, but I can still hear my mother's voice guiding me to this day.

And...even if respect weren't an issue...I feel good when I look good, and that alone is enough for me.

It seems there are two issues your writing about that are both seperate and yet related. I can't speak for the food on HAL yet, but I will after Aug. 13. since I will be shoving off on the Zuiderdam. But if I hear what your saying, I might just be disappointed but I have had some really great meals and service on Celebrity and Princess.

As to dressing up - I'm sure you wouldn't want someone (me) to sit at your table with a tank top, swimming trunks, and those sandals or some upscale version of it especially when it's formal night. It's about the inner you. To feel good, look spectacular, and having class. It's all relative and symptomatic of "who cares" in our society. Personally, I'll dress up and my wife also and do my thing. I believe that was a song.

Michael

Please don't let the negative comments concern you--we had wonderful food on the Zui in May! We actually enjoyed our dining room experience more than the Pinnacle--every one has their preferences. I'm a vegetarian and did not request the special menu, but I had a wonderful entree every evening from the main menu. My DH (a non-veg) had trouble deciding each evening from several appealing choices. Our table mates were fantastic and we had a wonderful experience.

Have a GREAT cruise!!:D

1) We dress up because I like to be fancy occasionally. Luckily DH agrees. But I most admit after my 10 day cruise in July to Europe I was wishing it was all "casual elegant".

2) I agree that the food has really gone down in quality - on both HAL and Princess. It is one of the experiences we expect from a cruise and one would think the executives would understand and provide the kind of service we expect. I will say that on this recent June Princess cruise the staff was 100 times more attentive than the HAL November cruise.

3) I love Carabba's. Never had a bad meal there.

I don't dress for the food or the service.

I dress for the ambience and the "Cinderella" feel. Just the sense of slipping into a beautiful dress, as simple as mine may be, gives me the sense of anticipation for an exciting evening. It brings back memories of my mother dressing for an "evening out on the town".

Spraying a wisp of my favorite fragrance "Eternity" and adding a sparkly necklace, earrings and bracelet gives me that feeling that something very special is about to happen.

And walking into the dining room on the arm of my husband looking positively debonaire and fabulous, I may hold my head just a little bit higher and the steward may look at me just a little differently as he holds my chair ... an extra twinke in his eye.

They could put a hamburger on my plate and I wouldn't feel any less special and it wouldn't take away that extra glow that I feel when I'm dressed for the evening.

And later, that feeling of walking into my cabin and kicking off my shoes and falling backwards on the bed with just the slightest hint of Eternity still in the air ... I know this evening was just a little different that all the others.

That's why.

Heather, you are such a romantic. I sincerely mean that as a compliment!!!! I dress up because I have to. I love sailing on the Volendam, so I dress up on formal nights (well, one anyway) and stay dressed for the evening. On Princess I dress and then change into "dressy casual" with a sigh of relief! I once heard the comment "On Princess that loud whoosh you hear after dinner is everyone changing out of formal attire!" It's a stretch because many on Princess do stay dressed, but not as many as on HAL.

Guest Celestia

What do we really get dressed up for?

Ekerr, I've been reading your posts for a long time now, and for the life of me I cannot figure out why you cruise on HAL! Having cruised myself on the Queen Odyssey (now a Seabourn ship) I think you'd be happier on Seabourn.

*I* get dressed up for many reasons (not in a specific order here):

1) to show respect and appreciation to the wonderful person who takes me on cruises. Cruising is *far* beyond my personal financial ability...my cruises have all been gifts from a very dear friend. I've gone to countries I only dreamed of seeing, in a style I would otherwise only read about, never experience (there's actually a very sweet story behind the first one..). I know he doesn't read here, but, Thank you, Ralph.

2) to show respect and appreciation for the efforts of the hardworking crew and officers. *You* may not find HAL's food delightful, but I personally do. The only line I've had mediocre food on was Princess, and even that wasn't awful, just ordinary.

3) because there are very few opportunities in my daily life to dress up...it is a nice change and I personally enjoy it. In my line of work, I cannot even wear jewelry (for safety reasons - jewelry and electricity don't mix!), so dressing for dinner is *fun*to me...and yes, when I eat at a quality land-based restaurant, I dress also.

Yes, I'm a bit of a romantic like Heather in FL.

4) for what it's worth, I have eaten at Carraba's and my experience was similar to Rev. Neal's. Will not eat there again. I didn't care for the Pinnacle Grill either....the formal night dining room experience is one of the traditions of cruising that I most enjoy.

I don't know if I made myself clear at all. I don't really understand the mindset of wanting to cruise but not wanting to dress for dinner and formal nights, myself.... the anti-dresscode rants just amaze me!

FW&FS,

Celestia

I love the formal nights. Yes, it can be an extra effort, but it's wonderful to walk through the ship on formal night and see the elegant gowns, the men in their tuxedos,etc. There's a special feeling on the ship on formal nights....there seems to be more smiles and greetings among the passengers.

I agree with others who speak of showing respect for others and the traditions of cruise travel. I just don't understand why some would choose a cruise line that exepcts formal dress on formal nights.

Today I was putting together formal outfits to pack next week! :D

[quote name='Comeaux']People get dressed up on formal night for only 2 reasons. One may apply to some while the second may apply and than for some both apply.

Reasons are:
1. If you want a better meal you have to get dressed up.
2. Personal inflated ego's.:D[/QUOTE]

[b][color=darkslateblue]Oh, please!!! You're kidding, right???? You have to be. I could make a list of at least a dozen reasons people like to dress for formal night and none of them would be the above two.[/color][/b]
[b][color=darkslateblue][/color][/b]
[b][color=darkslateblue]Yes, you're definitely kidding so ROTFLOL:D [/color][/b]

As one of the earlier posters wrote, we dress up because it is required.

Yes sometimes it is fun and romantic and all that to dress up, especially when you do not in your everyday life.

But personally I would be just as happy with country club casual every night.

Thats just me and DW, Everyone else is certainly entitled to enjoy whatever makes them happy.

[quote name='Comeaux']People get dressed up on formal night for only 2 reasons. One may apply to some while the second may apply and than for some both apply.

Reasons are:
1. If you want a better meal you have to get dressed up.
2. Personal inflated ego's.:D[/QUOTE]

[font=Arial Black][color=blue]I am assuming that, with the big grin, that the reasons are given tongue in cheek. That said,[/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=blue]1. So far as I know, the clothing I wear has never affected the food I have eaten.[/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=#0000ff]2. Ego would be reflected by someone whose dress does not conform to the "norm". [/color][/font]

[quote name='Landlubber54'][font=Arial Black][color=blue] Ego would be reflected by someone whose dress does not conform to the "norm". [/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Exactly!
As in "I am too important to bother with the ship's dress code. Rules don't apply to me." :D

Guest Celestia
[quote name='trubey']Maybe well said, but didn't we just tell her to cruise with another line? I'd miss her. susana.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no, I did not 'tell' anyone to cruise with another line.

I suggested that Ekerr might be happier on another line, (one I have traveled), the service was more in line with what she seems to want, it was a suggestion.

A suggestion, not a command. There is a distinct difference.

Reminded once again why I don't post here often,

FW&FS,

Celestia

[quote name='cruznon']I love the formal nights. Yes, it can be an extra effort, but it's wonderful to walk through the ship on formal night and see the elegant gowns, the men in their tuxedos,etc. There's a special feeling on the ship on formal nights....there seems to be more smiles and greetings among the passengers.
I agree with others who speak of showing respect for others and the traditions of cruise travel. I just don't understand why some would choose a cruise line that exepcts formal dress on formal nights.
Today I was putting together formal outfits to pack [i]next week! :D [/i][/QUOTE]
Absolutely true!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most cruise lines have a dress code, including formal nights and ask pax to remain in formal attire in public areas? I believe that NCL is the only big line that does not have a dress code. I know that Celebrity and Princess and MSC do ... not sure abut RCL. So, telling folks who don't care to dress up to cruise another line is rather odd, isn't it? Personally, I don't care to dress in formal clothes, but I do because that's the dress code of the day. I do find the option to dine in the Lido or, in the case of Princess, the Horizon Court and not have to be in formal attire is a very fair alternative. I would not want to see formal nights discontinued. I do enjoy watching all those dressed in tux and sparkles, but it does not appeal to me. So, I am grateful for options on the cruise lines I really enjoy - HAL and Princess. And I would like it very much if no one ever told me to cruise on another line when there seems to be only one without a dress code. I may not care too much for the formal dress code (although I abide by it for at least one night), but I do care very much about sailing on HAL and Princess. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Archived