What do we REALLY get dressed up for?

ekerr19

[font=Arial Black][color=blue]I really appreciated Celestia's first post. But it appears to me that she overreacted to trubey's post, even if trubey misread the intent of some of her comments. That's a shame, since the intent of a site like this is to have an ongoing exhcange of information and opinions.:( [/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Arial Black][color=#0000ff]BTW, trubey, good question to Oceanwench. Either that, or she REALLY plans ahead!;) [/color][/font]

DH and I comply with requested dining attire - we do go formal but no longer with the tux or gown. We comply to "fit in". It is [i]very aggravating[/i] to go to the effort of [i]going formal[/i] only to experience annoying meal service and/or unruly kinder and/or non complying dining companions. The lack of consistentcy on a wide variety of cruise-related issues is frustruating. We have 'status' with RCCL/Celebrity and quite a few NCL & Carnival cruises we could list. Too many things overall have been degraded with the cruise venue. I don't appreciate the bigger, floating cities (with all those kids/babies/strollers, etc.) Thankfully, there are still [i]civilized[/i] cruise lines with all the formality old fashioned cruisers appreciate. Sadly, they are too pricey for the average retiree (or other). We love NCL Freestyle (especially the STAR);)

[b][color=darkslateblue]Celestia, if you're still out there I really believe that Trubey had her tongue firmly planted in cheek. I think I know her humor and the truth is she knows EKerr quite well since we're all going on a group cruise together next year. So all she really was saying (with a bit of an amusing twist) was that she would miss Laura here on the HAL boards if she drifted to another line.[/color][/b]

[b][color=darkslateblue]I know these can be rocky waters sometimes and I now hesitate when posting myself, but Susana of all people would not be hurtful to you.[/color][/b]

We dress for formal evenings because we [u][b]can[/b][/u]. Both DH and I enjoy dressing for dinner because it makes the evening that much more special, knowing we've taken time and effort getting ready for a formal dinner. He looks handsome in his tuxedo, while I haven't broken too many mirrors with my sparkly dresses :D and we enjoy looking at each other and being together in formal settings. We view formal nights on board as a plus, rather than minus.

Sure, we can run around all day in shorts, tank tops and sandals, but when the sun goes down and the dining room lights go a little dim, then the romance of sailing on a cruise ship with the one we love really comes to life.

Yes, I am a die-hard romantic, and if it means changing itineraries or cruise lines to ensure we are booked on a ship that still has formal evenings, so be it!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

[quote name='Celestia']What do we really get dressed up for?

4) . I didn't care for the Pinnacle Grill either....the formal night dining room experience is one of the traditions of cruising that I most enjoy.

FW&FS,

Celestia[/QUOTE]

Celestia --

Good thoughtful post. Am curious what it was about the Pinnacle Grill that you didn't care for? Could you expand on your post for us?

Thanks --

Guest Celestia
> I really appreciated Celestia's first post.

Thank you.

> But it appears to me that she overreacted to trubey's post, even if trubey misread the intent of some of her comments.

There was no 'smiley', no indication that Trubey was 'kidding' when she commented 'didn't we just tell her to'. I did not tell anyone to do anything. If 'humor' or a 'cute comment' were intended, that's why internet punctuation evolved...the little nuances of spoken conversation are lost in text, ergo, use of smiley faces, etc.

Very little annoys me, but misrepresenting what I have said *will* do it. Sadly, that is something that I see here (mostly directed at a few other posters, but still sad to see), ergo, I rarely read or post here much any more.
Therefore, I cleared up any misunderstanding as to what *I* had said.

Hope this helps you to understand my words.

FW&FS,
Celestia

Guest Celestia
[quote name='AirGorilla']Celestia --

Good thoughtful post. Am curious what it was about the Pinnacle Grill that you didn't care for? Could you expand on your post for us?

Thanks --[/QUOTE]

Hesitant to post here now, but you ask a good question so here goes.

I am not saying the Pinnacle was *bad*, but *to me* it is just another upscale restaurant. Really not different from a nice restaurant in any large city - and not really special at that (I can think of several landbased restaurants right here in SoCal that I feel are better both from a food and service/ambiance standpoint). I personally found the Pinnacle service pretentious and the menu just ordinary (as in what you'd anticipate at a good steakhouse, not as in what I'm making for dinner here at home tonight, to be sure!).

Part of the ambiance of a cruise, as opposed to a land vacation or my usual hobby or home life, is the formal dining room atmosphere. HAL does this very well in my opinion. Yes, I have had better (and worse) on other lines...but for the price and all things considered, I am very satisfied. Our waiters have been well trained, delightful people, with just the right balance between friendly and respectful. Tablemates have been lovely people, I keep in touch with many of them over the years.

Arrgh, probably not explaining well at all.

I love cruising for the atmosphere of times past, now sadly becoming just a memory (Heather, your post in the dress code thread was spot on!). Formal dining room nights are part of that. Freestyle dining, specialty restaurants, and BBQ dinners on deck are not - not saying they shouldn't be offered, but I will be in the dining room, thanks.

As you've probably guessed, NCL Freestyle was *not* for us, and just about any cruise involves serious packing for me, as we tend to be more formal in dress than most...but then my hobby includes dressing on a regular basis in full 15th century Italian Renn costume, in a medieval recreation society...so modern-day formalwear is nothing after being in full costume for over two weeks at a time in August!

FW&FS,

Celestia

"As you've probably guessed, NCL Freestyle was *not* for us, and just about any cruise involves serious packing for me, as we tend to be more formal in dress than most...but then my hobby includes dressing on a regular basis in full 15th century Italian Renn costume, in a medieval recreation society...so modern-day formalwear is nothing after being in full costume for over two weeks at a time in August!" Celestia

We, too, like to dress in our formals when we cruise:) even on nights that are not designated as "formal."

Guest Celestia
[quote name='Time2sail']"As you've probably guessed, NCL Freestyle was *not* for us, and just about any cruise involves serious packing for me, as we tend to be more formal in dress than most...but then my hobby includes dressing on a regular basis in full 15th century Italian Renn costume, in a medieval recreation society...so modern-day formalwear is nothing after being in full costume for over two weeks at a time in August!" Celestia

We, too, like to dress in our formals when we cruise:) even on nights that are not designated as "formal."[/QUOTE]

Time2sail,

I hope we get you as tablemates next cruise :)

FW&FS,
Celestia

[quote name='Celestia']
I am not saying the Pinnacle was *bad*, but *to me* it is just another upscale restaurant. Really not different from a nice restaurant in any large city - and not really special at that (I can think of several landbased restaurants right here in SoCal that I feel are better both from a food and service/ambiance standpoint). I personally found the Pinnacle service pretentious and the menu just ordinary (as in what you'd anticipate at a good steakhouse, not as in what I'm making for dinner here at home tonight, to be sure!).[/QUOTE]

Celestia, I couldn't agree more! DH and I thought it was OK, but much prefer the DR. Pretentious is exactly how it felt. And, the menu was disappointing. We ate there the first night--the only non-meat item on the menu was mushroom ravioli which, I discovered when I ordered it, they were out of (out of it on the first night at 6pm????):confused: . The chef created a lovely pasta/vegetable alternative, but I actually had a better one a few nights later in the DR. DH said his steak was very good, but he also enjoyed the one he ordered in the DR. The chocolate volcano cake that I'd seen dreamily described on the threads was very good.....imagine my surprise when I had a better version of that dessert when I ordered the chocolate souffle at California Pizza Kitchen two weeks ago....:D

Before the slings and arrows come out from all of the Pinnacle fans, please remember that if everyone preferred dining there, reservations would be impossible to get! :)

One point which few seemed to consider is that people tend to behave up -or down - to their suroundings. In a "no-holds-barred" dress environment, the inner slob matches his/her appearance in performance. This is why schools interested in serious academic performance apply dres codes - most schools with high expectations of their students do not permit jeans or sneakers; girls are required to wear skirts of a certain length and not display their belly-buttons, boys are often required to wear ties. This is why the U S Navy requires clean uniforms in the officers' wardroom at evening meal: slovenly appearance leads to sloppy thought and, ultimately, sloppy performance.

Aside from the above very practical reason, there is an esthetic purpose: I can better enjoy a meal if I do not have to look at someone's hairy shoulders under his muscle shirt -- or at some super-annuated bimbo making a fool of herself in a micro-mini or hot pants.

[quote name='oldnavybanker']
Aside from the above very practical reason, there is an esthetic purpose: I can better enjoy a meal if I do not have to look at someone's hairy shoulders under his muscle shirt -- or at some super-annuated bimbo making a fool of herself in a micro-mini or hot pants.[/QUOTE]
Thank goodness I have never met those you speak of on any of my cruises, even when we eat in the Lido. I think your description is not probable, at least not on HAL or Princess. I've only sailed on one other cruise line just once (NCL) and didn't meet them there either. Most cruise lines at least specify no shorts, jeans or bare feet in the dining room and make pax abide by that rule. Even if a cruise line becomes a bit more casual, I don't think we will find that sort of thing in a dining room. At least I hope not.

To answer the question asked me on the previous page:

I don't plan my cruises 3 years in advance, but I do have a "plan" as far as my life goes.
And this longtime working girl is planning to celebrate her freedom in a few years!!! ;)
Which includes freedom to take last-minute cruises or longer-than-7-day cruises. Yay!
I have my family and friends counting down with me -- gets me through the rough times.
I didn't think people paid that much attention to sigs!
[The quote is from "Five O'Clock Somewhere, the song by Alan Jackson and Jimmy Buffett.]

As I was reading this thread, I had a thought.
Suppose you went on a Windjammer cruise and wore a formal to dinner ... would that be breaking the dress code? :p

[quote name='KAJOKG']Thank goodness I have never met those you speak of on any of my cruises, even when we eat in the Lido. I think your description is not probable, at least not on HAL or Princess. I've only sailed on one other cruise line just once (NCL) and didn't meet them there either. Most cruise lines at least specify no shorts, jeans or bare feet in the dining room and make pax abide by that rule. Even if a cruise line becomes a bit more casual, I don't think we will find that sort of thing in a dining room. At least I hope not.[/QUOTE]

You must have missed the thread about swimsuits in the Lido--several of us experienced this type of thing on cruises this spring. We were on the 5/21 Zui and we had the "pleasure" of people coming in, getting their trays, and sitting down near us to dine in their swimsuits, sans any type of coverup.:mad: I had a shirtless guy reaching across me in the line, armpit in my face.....:eek: I think Candy (sorry if it wasn't you, Candy) posted a picture of an older, shirtless guy eating near her in the Lido on the 5/14 Zui cruise...these weren't kids--people well old enough to know better. And, yes, there are signs posted at both entrances. I'm grateful it hasn't migrated to the dining room.

[quote name='csg99']You must have missed the thread about swimsuits in the Lido--several of us experienced this type of thing on cruises this spring. We were on the 5/21 Zui and we had the "pleasure" of people coming in, getting their trays, and sitting down near us to dine in their swimsuits, sans any type of coverup.:mad: I had a shirtless guy reaching across me in the line, armpit in my face.....:eek: I think Candy (sorry if it wasn't you, Candy) posted a picture of an older, shirtless guy eating near her in the Lido on the 5/14 Zui cruise...these weren't kids--people well old enough to know better. And, yes, there are signs posted at both entrances. I'm grateful it hasn't migrated to the dining room.[/QUOTE]

YUK!!! Didn't anyone stop them? Especially the guy without the shirt. I have seen folks in bathing suits with cover ups come into the Lido during the day and take their trays out on deck. But bare chest is too much!!!!!!

[quote name='KAJOKG']YUK!!! Didn't anyone stop them? Especially the guy without the shirt. I have seen folks in bathing suits with cover ups come into the Lido during the day and take their trays out on deck. But bare chest is too much!!!!!![/QUOTE]

As far as we could tell, no one from HAL said anything to them. As a fellow pax I wasn't comfortable starting something one-on-one....but, as one of my fellow CC'ers on our cruise stated on the thread, one man grossed her out so much that she was waiting for him to show up again, so that she could tell him that she didn't appreciate having to see his manb**bs while she was trying to eat lunch.....

Just reading this thread for the first time today. Admit that I haven't yet finished reading ALL the replies, but in response to the OP's question, I have to agree. While I enjoy dressing for formal night, and the atmosphere that prevails, I find the quality of the main dining room food just doesn't "match" the formality of the dress code. And I'm not just talking the HAL main dining room, but pretty much all mass market cruise lines. I don't think this necessarily used to be the case before ships were built w/alternative extra-fare restaurants. But, in general, I feel somewhat overdressed on formal night while being served dishes that are pre-plated banquet style. I think I know just what the OP meant! Dining in the Pinnacle Grill, though? Completely different story!

[quote name='Celestia']Hesitant to post here now, but you ask a good question so here goes.

I am not saying the Pinnacle was *bad*, but *to me* it is just another upscale restaurant. Really not different from a nice restaurant in any large city - and not really special at that (I can think of several landbased restaurants right here in SoCal that I feel are better both from a food and service/ambiance standpoint). I personally found the Pinnacle service pretentious and the menu just ordinary (as in what you'd anticipate at a good steakhouse, not as in what I'm making for dinner here at home tonight, to be sure!).

Part of the ambiance of a cruise, as opposed to a land vacation or my usual hobby or home life, is the formal dining room atmosphere. HAL does this very well in my opinion. Yes, I have had better (and worse) on other lines...but for the price and all things considered, I am very satisfied. Our waiters have been well trained, delightful people, with just the right balance between friendly and respectful. Tablemates have been lovely people, I keep in touch with many of them over the years.

Arrgh, probably not explaining well at all.

I love cruising for the atmosphere of times past, now sadly becoming just a memory (Heather, your post in the dress code thread was spot on!). Formal dining room nights are part of that. Freestyle dining, specialty restaurants, and BBQ dinners on deck are not - not saying they shouldn't be offered, but I will be in the dining room, thanks.

As you've probably guessed, NCL Freestyle was *not* for us, and just about any cruise involves serious packing for me, as we tend to be more formal in dress than most...but then my hobby includes dressing on a regular basis in full 15th century Italian Renn costume, in a medieval recreation society...so modern-day formalwear is nothing after being in full costume for over two weeks at a time in August!

FW&FS,

Celestia[/QUOTE]

A very good explanation. We would never go to the Pinnacle on formal nights -- those are the best nights to dine in the main dining room. We like to go to the Pinnacle on casual nights -- especially the first night on board (when it's half-price). Agree with your comments about it being primarily a steak house -- and a pretty good one, at that.

[quote name='Celestia']...but then my hobby includes dressing on a regular basis in full 15th century Italian Renn costume, in a medieval recreation society...so modern-day formalwear is nothing after being in full costume for over two weeks at a time in August! [/QUOTE]

Celestia....you don't happen to come to Pennsylvania, do you? Where I live in western PA we have a huge gathering of SCA members in August of each year. Love seeing the costumes at the local supermarket. It makes a mundane chore a lot more interesting!

Guest Celestia
[quote name='Tricia724']Celestia....you don't happen to come to Pennsylvania, do you? Where I live in western PA we have a huge gathering of SCA members in August of each year. Love seeing the costumes at the local supermarket. It makes a mundane chore a lot more interesting![/QUOTE]

Tricia,

Yes, I do (along with many other similar but shorter and smaller events throughout the year in other places). We call it Pennsic. I've been doing it for years. Being one of the people who makes it happen, I'm in PA for most of a month each August, as well as a smaller event at the same place in mid-May.

Mind if I ask if you're in Butler or New Castle? If it's Butler, you may well have seen me in Giant Eagle or Walmart...and if you see an over-40 redhead in costume this August, please come up and introduce yourself!

FW&FS,

Celestia

Celestia...I'm in New Castle. We also get a lot of SCA shoppers at our Giant Eagle store on Rt. 422E. Before I moved a few months ago, I lived about 10-12 miles away from Cooper's Lake. Now I'm on the other side of town (several miles farther away), so I'm not in the area as much. I hope the weather cooperates for the Pennsic Wars this year. We've been having terribly hot, humid weather in the upper 80s and 90s this past month. We're supposed to get a break next week. (low 80s) Have fun!

Guest Celestia
[quote name='Tricia724']Celestia...I'm in New Castle. We also get a lot of SCA shoppers at our Giant Eagle store on Rt. 422E. Before I moved a few months ago, I lived about 10-12 miles away from Cooper's Lake. Now I'm on the other side of town (several miles farther away), so I'm not in the area as much. I hope the weather cooperates for the Pennsic Wars this year. We've been having terribly hot, humid weather in the upper 80s and 90s this past month. We're supposed to get a break next week. (low 80s) Have fun![/QUOTE]

:) Oh yes, I send a lot of people to that GE too (I spend lots of my time at Pennsic working at the Info Desk...most all of us are from somewhere other than there, I've just been there enough times to know my way around).

Definitely hoping to bring cooler weather with me when I come out next week!

FW&FS,

Celestia

Archived