What do we REALLY get dressed up for?

ekerr19

All the recent talk about the dress code got me thinking... DH & I went out to dinner tonight and we discussed this topic at length, even more so after we received our yummy entrees...

In my mind, HAL's dining experience doesn't even come close to being a 5-star experience, maybe just about a 3-star - so what are we really getting dressed up for?

To me, it's almost seems the equivilent of a mediocre chain restaurant if you really stop and think about it... the selection leaves much to be desired and the service is not up to par - I also have found the lighting on the upper level dining room to be so harsh and the service on both levels so hurried that it reminds me of cafeteria dining.

DH & I also discussed the limited menu available on HAL lately and the fact that we haven't had much in the way of variety for several cruises... think about it - HAL's menu is now a single page - the salads are extremely lacking in my opinion - and often times the dressings available with the salad selection make no sense at all.

We had a fabulous meal this evening at Carraba's - we ordered one of the specials and it was far superior to anything we've had recently on HAL - and the service was beyond top notch.

If HAL wants to be competitive at a four or five star level - I think they need to step up the menu and the service - we can have a better experience at home - and we don't need to wear a tux and gown to enjoy it...

Just some "food" for thought... any other opinions?

Well, many folks will say the practice is anachronistic. And perhaps it is. But dressing for dinner has been an integral part of cruising for over a hundred years, and the practice conjures up visions of the glory days of transatlantic crossings. I think it contributes to the atmosphere, and I enjoy participating. It reminds me of a kinder, gentler society.

Food is such a subjective thing, I know. But to me, dining on a HAL ship is far and away above a "mediocre chain restaurant." It's part of what I look forward to on a cruise.

That's my take, FWIW.

What do I dress up for? I dress up to see the sparkle in the eye of my hubby when I am dressed up and he has his tux on. I dress for him, he dresses for me. We don't get all gussied up except on a cruise and I love that part of cruising. And that's what I really get dressed up for.

Great question .. I'm sure we're going to hear many, many opinions!!

I can certainly understand your comments about the cruise dining experience ... it follows the same pattern nightly, fast paced, with lots of back ground noise as the staff hustle to deliver and clear multiple courses. After a few days it's a bit boring .. so we alter with Pinnacle or Lido ..

We really enjoy dinner in the Pinnacle .. it's more like going out at home .. the meal is paced according to how you wish it to be .. the service is gracious and the food is very good. It seems next to impossible to slow the pace in the dining room ... It's a well orchestrated timed show .. one they have practiced many, many times and certainly can't deviate from.

We do enjoy dinner in the dining room .. I suppose some of that is any meal we do not have to prepare ourselves is good ... we are impressed with what the kitchen can deliver to such a large group of people in a short time .. twice each evening .... We believe the quality is quite a bit above standard banquet fare ...

It's the dining experience we enjoy ... we know that every night there is going to be time for the two of us (we like tables for two) ... along with getting to know the dining room staff ..

Lobster .. I will say being from the North Shore of Boston that HAL does a great job with Lobster .. it's always been tender and sweet ... it could very easily become over cooked and rubbery!

I've had a few bad meals on HAL (and other cruise lines) but the majority has been very good ..

On the 10 day last November on the Volendam we found the menus did repeat quite a few things, and really fizzled by the end of the cruise. But, by the 10th day I really wasn't looking for gourmet ... I wanted simple, no sauce, ..I ordered broiled plain chicken...

Coming back to your original question .. we dress for each other ... there something very special about hearing your other half tell you how beautiful you look... sets the mood for the entire evening......

Peggy

It's one of the main reason's we cruise. We get all dressed up in our formal clothes because we truly enjoy the experience. Chimera is so handsome in his tux. I love wearing my gowns. We feel like a million bucks and we are king and queen for the evening.

It's all about romance and magic and cruising and the sea.

As far as the food. I disagree that it is mediocre chain restaurant, but that is subjective. For me, it is never about the food anyway. Certainly, it is not top of the line, but neither was the food at the black tie wedding we attended last April. It was good banquet food. We dressed to the nines because we enjoy doing it.

For us, it's about feeling wonderful, romantic and indulging our fantasies that we are living in a more gracious time.

Linda :)

A good question...kudos

We dine out often (too often? LOL:) ) and have enjoyed superior food and service in Michelin starred restaurants (including recently one of Herr Ramsay's in London). None of them required formal wear. The food I experienced on Maasdam was much better than 'average banquet'. It was very good, and my taste buds have been calibrated.:) .

We dress for an event. For the "specialness" of the occurance. We will probably cruise much less often than we dine out, so, even better. It points up the fact that it is more than a vacation. It is an "occasion".

Cheers

MarkB

U guys said it, You feel special. Its a great feeling getting dressed, I have learned one thing during our cruises, Its my vacation, and the last thing i need to do is worry and stress myself about such things as the amount of food on the menu, I have gotten very easy going with some subjects. If I want to worry about such things, I can do it for free at home, But I go on a cruise to relax, and get away from the worrying. And in my opinion, you cannot compare a dinning room experiance on a cruise, any cruise, Carnival to Seabourn, to a Chain food place.

so what are we really getting dressed up for?

I do it because I'm requested to, as does DW.

I do think you're a tad harsh about the food, but only a tad. The food isn't what it was just a few short years ago, probably a consequences of reduced fares along with increased expenses - not a good combination for the customer.

Still, it's a very good value. And the service is still pretty good.

Great responses - all of them... keep them coming!

dave - I really don't think I am being all that harsh - we found the menu on the Volendam in March to be mediocre at best, but again that is just us - sure it compares to weddings, buffets, etc, - but I think I like the comparison to the Pinnacle best (I think it was Peggy Sue's) and that is more in keeping with our day-to-day local restaurant experience.

Also, in reference to "a typical chain" I am referring to a Maggiano's, Cattleman's, Palm, Chart House etc. not necessarily a Chili's, Applebees, or Outback.

Why do we get dressed up for religious celebrations, wedding receptions, charity events, etc, ???? ..... Tradition.

When we took our first cruise (ie: honeymoon) we looked at many different types of vacations and we decided to give cruising a try for the variety of ports of call and the service; we were unsure if we would like the formal aspect of the cruise (I wear suits every day). Dressing up for the evening has become a thrill for my DW.

Having dined in the entire spectrum of quality of restaurants, I would equate the cruiseline food experience to be that of a 4-star restaurant or better depending on the line. The rating of a restaurant is based on service, food selection, quality, atmosphere and yes how one is expected to dress. If we disregard a dress code than the star rating of the restaurant decreases. All of this is my very humble opinion and experience is eating at restauarants.

All the recent talk about the dress code got me thinking... ..........so what are we really getting dressed up for? [/b]

Great question!!!! I believe the "formal dressing up" for dinner on cruiselines such as HAL is a time-honored practice. We enjoy this element of cruising with HAL. We generally avoid "chain restaurants" and seek bistros/restaurants offering excellent cruisine and social experiences that fulfill our expectations. If we are celebrating an anniversary or other special occasion we generally dress informally, unless it is a black-tie dinner or reception.

I agree with you that the dining experience on our recent cruise was far from a four or five star experience compared to other dinners we have had the pleasure of enjoying. However, the food was generally very good.

However, other formal social interactions we have been in attendance have had their shortcomings as well. Fine dinning for large numbers of people certainly is challenging.

Traditions are enjoyed by many but obviously not by all as we have noted on other dress code threads. Probably a reflection of society as a whole though. Considering that traditions our culture honor in general often go to the wayside over time the diversity of expressions is not suprising.

Actually, we have had numerous dinning experiences in the past year at four & five star establishments and the general dress code required business casual before 6PM and informal for dinner. Several were business casual or casual all day depending on the style of the facility.

So, I guess my conclusion would be that those of us who enjoy "time-honored traditions" of the cruise experience "dress formally" for simply that reason, we enjoy traditions!

We enjoy the dining room for the reasons listed above (and very eloquently, I might add), but also for the opportunity to catch up with others at our table on their day. A time to relax, be waited on, gaze out at the ocean passing by the window, and just ahhh, what a blessing!

The dining room staff, by the second night, know your name, what you like to drink, how you like your steak prepared, whether you need sweetener or creamer in your coffee, and maybe even the names of your children. You won't get that in many 4-5 star restaurants!

You can spend a week at a resort, and all of it in blue jeans, sandals, or shorts. The things you wear every day while at home.

But the cruise life give you a break from the everyday, from the same-old, same-old. It takes you to a place that allows you to slow down, focus on somethings and, perhaps, someone that you often take for granted.

Can I have tissue?

Sam

For us it is the tradition and an integral part of cruising. It's one of the reason we cruise and it's one of the reason we select HAL or Celebrity. Growing up and now working for the military I have seen the formal nights slip away to the point they rarely have such events anymore and I miss it. A cruise is one of the few remaining places I can still "dress to the nines" and love it. :)

Formal night is a tradition I hope never disappears. I love to see everyone all dressed up and looking classy. I don't particularly enjoy dressing formal myself, but I do participate for at least one night. The other formal night will find me in the Lido...dressed well, but not "up." And, as I said, I really do enjoy seeing all the "glamour." As for dining....Carraba's is one of the better chains - we have one here and enjoy it better than most chains. Lastly, HAL has the BEST cold soups anywhere. I love cold soup and most establishments only serve one cold soup - gazapacho. HAL's concoctions are fabulous!!

Why do we get dressed up for religious celebrations, wedding receptions, charity events, etc, ???? ..... Tradition.

Whoa! This is weird....we are on the same wave length! I had trouble posting my message....kept timing out....but you message got through before mine. Your right on though......traditions.

Considering how many other time-honored traditions fade over time, it's no wonder those of us appreciating traditions feel disappointed at times.

Change is inevitable with the ever-changing culture of society. Understandably, many cruisers adapt to the changing of traditions but others do not. Saw a recent stat that 46% of cruisers are repeat cruisers.

Guess the retention of time-honored traditions aboard will depend on whether

the cruiselines make their decisions based on retaining customers or trying to become more diversified to the changing pax profile. Bottomline is that those of us who enjoy traditions will adapt or seek other ways to fulfill our desire to travel on the sea.

My DH wears a suit and tie to his office (almost) every day and enjoys being able to have a few casual nights on the ships. But, he also enjoys taking out his tuxedo and seeing whatever new shirt and tie and cummerbund I have purchased for him. I usually have a few new pieces for him for each cruise to 'keep it interesting.' Sure he likes to unwind on vacation after the professional manner he must present himself at home but he also likes to make me happy. :) It makes me happy to see him looking (to my eyes) so handsome in his starched white pleated front shirt and his spotless white dinner jacket or handsome tuxedo.

I love to dress on cruises as I do not get to wear formal clothing more than 4-5 times a year at home. (some years less than that.) We still have formal weddings and the like from time to time and a few business events we attend demand black tie.

We do it because when we book our cruises we are aware that is what is expected of us and we agree to the terms HAL has set the same as we expect them to agree to the terms they offered to us when we paid our money.

They sold us a certain product and that is what we want. They expect certain things from us and we understand and abide by that.

ALSO, and not least important, IMO.....we dress out of respect to each other; we dress out of respect to our 'hosts'; we dress out of respect to our fellow passengers and we dress out of respect to the hard working dining stewards who shine those crystal goblets, polish the silver, set a beautiful table in order to provide us with a special evening. They have done a lot of work to make our formal evening as enjoyable as possible and the Chefs have prepared a special menu for our enjoyment......It's so festive for all of us to attempt to look our bests or to at least look as though we tried.

Great Question, Laura.....Interesting responses. Hope there will be even more.

ekerr19,

Excellent question and there have been some very interesting responses. Food is such an incredibly relative thing: what some people love, other people cannot stand. Amazingly, I was at Carrabbas last night too -- Christopher wanted Italian, and so did I, and the Chicken Bryan is my very favorite. The food was great, but the service and the atmosphere ... well ... it was horrible ... nothing even remotely close to the service I've had on dam ships or the environment of the main dining room or the Pinnacle Grill. It was loud, with the clanging of dishes and shouting of chefs (we were close to the Kitchen), the waiter was slow to take our order, slow to bring us drinks and refills, slow to bring us salad, slow to bring us the meal, slow to bring us the check. And, to add insult to injury, there was a family next to us with a screaming baby. The father of this family was dressed in a tank-top and cut-off shorts; the mother was not dressed much better, while reeking of suntan lotion; the kids were wild, leaving their table to go bother people at other tables. They kept complaining about the food ... loudly ... and twice sent dishes back. It was HORRIBLE.

Imagine all of this on a dam ship ... and you're sitting there dressed according to code (let us say its formal night). How out of place would you feel next to a family like that? It's what some people would demand, you know ... that you be expected to sit there in your formal evening garb, while people in tank-tops and cut-offs and layers of suntan lotion behave like barbarians at the table next to you.

I dress up to be a part of the tradition because I enjoy it. Dressing on cruises is part of the "occasion," as some of put it, and I agree. But, if what happened last night had taken place on the Volendam on ANY night (much more on formal night), I would have been so uncomfortable, annoyed, and everything else in between, that I would have gotten up and left. Better that then blowing up.

I dress up because I enjoy it.

If I didn't want to dress formally on my cruise, I'd choose another line like Oceania that has no formal nights (and I hear, better food - Jacques Pepin is their executive chef)

Tho I definately agree w/ you Laura, I think the food leaves something to be desired. Oh, sure I could order a different dish (If I could get my waiters attention...)but that would hold up the service for others at the table. I'm hoping that we see the improvements as a result of this new executive chef really soon...

If I didn't want to dress formally on my cruise, I'd choose another line like Oceania that has no formal nights (and I hear, better food - Jacques Pepin is their executive chef)

Just because you mentioned Oceania, Brian- we were talking to friends just the other night who have sailed Oceania several times and they absolutely love it. I know you know what the style of 'casual' dress is that is required on a line such as Oceania, but for others who may think that no formal dress and all casual would make this cruiseline attractive, it is not as 'casual' as some people here might like.

'Casual' mean 'Country Club Casual' where no pax would even attempt jeans, shorts, or T-shirts in the evening. It would never be allowed, but on lines such as Oceania and Radisson it is not even an issue. Everyone on the ship knows better. :)

we look our best for ourselves and for each other--always.:)

i agree....that's why how anyone else looks and dresses doesn't matter to me...unless they reallly look hot.....oops... sorry honey....

'Casual' mean 'Country Club Casual' where no pax would even attempt jeans, shorts, or T-shirts in the evening. It would never be allowed, but on lines such as Oceania and Radisson it is not even an issue. Everyone on the ship knows better. :)

Remember when you could say that about HAL? :rolleyes:

I am about to embark on my first HAL cruise August 7 to Alaska. I have put together some lovely outfits, two for formal nights and one for the informal night...that I think will be fun for me to wear, but I also dress with a mind towards what others might think is interesting or nice!

I love costumes and, usually when I dress up, I try to incorporate something unusual, from a different time period, into my outfits. For my first formal evening, I have a lovely Jessica McClintock black and white gown and have added long opera gloves. To "harken back" to another age, I have chosen an old fashioned (fake fur) "capelet" as a wrap and a very small black and white feather "fascinator" for my hair, both things you would find in early 19th century formal dress.

So I not only enjoy getting all dressed up because it's fun for me, I like that other people may find the things I wear fun too...I'm looking forward to it all!

P.S. I did resist the urge to buy a dress that was styled after one of the dresses Kate Winslet had on in the movie "Titanic"...I thought bringing anything to mind from that ship...might not be a wise move *raised eyebrow*

Jane :)

Archived