Carnival Breeze vs. RCI's Oasis

CruzCrazy

We just returned from a very nice cruise on the Glory, and I'm already looking to book our next cruise. We were looking at a cruise on the Breeze for December 2014, and I had priced a lido deck midship balcony. With the sale that started today, the price has dropped by $110, and this would be Early Saver, so possibly more price drops...

I'm platinum on Carnival and have never cruised with any other line, BUT I just discovered that RCI gives a discount for Fire/EMS/police, which DH qualifies for. They are also giving on-board credit for most Caribbean cruises right now with their WOW sale ($150 with a balcony cabin). I browsed their website tonight and found a similar cruise to the one on the Breeze. It is on Oasis of the Seas, and it turns out to be cheaper than the Breeze by about $350 dollars once the eligible discount and the OBC are applied. Both are Eastern Caribbean itineraries (although the Oasis cruise is 7 days from FLL and the Breeze is 8 days from MIA).

This is food for thought because I thought the Oasis would be cost prohibitive. Of course, we'd be at the bottom of the totem pole on RCI since we would be 1st-time cruisers on that line, and I know they don't have anything like Carnival's Early Saver.

If anybody here has sailed on both the Breeze and Oasis (or any of RCI's bigger/newer ships), I'd be interested in a comparison.

Thanks.

While I haven't been on the Breeze I can tell you that Oasis/Allure are no comparison to any ships out there (except maybe Epic and Breakaway). It's an entirely different experience than any other cruise.

I would recommend you try it out for yourselves. It sounds like an awesome deal, which can be hard to come by on those big ships.

Oasis and Allure are in a class of their own mainly because of their sheer size. No other cruise ship can compare to them, even the Breakaway or Epic. You'll have a good time on whichever ship you end up going with but don't go expecting the same experience.

We cruise both RCI and Carnival. Done 8 cruises on RCI and only 7 on Carnival. One thing I have noticed with RCI is that alot of times they wont let you combine discounts. So , I don't know if you have spoken to anyone at RCI, but you might not get your military discount and the use the Wow sale price. Just sayin. Other than that, I would say that both lines have their good and their bad days. Just like any other business. :rolleyes:

There is absolutely NO comparison. The Allure/Oasis are the most amazing ships. You will NOT be at the bottom of the totem pole. They treat each and every guest the same. The only ship we have boarded that even comes close is NCL Breakaway.

We cruise both RCI and Carnival. Done 8 cruises on RCI and only 7 on Carnival. One thing I have noticed with RCI is that alot of times they wont let you combine discounts. So , I don't know if you have spoken to anyone at RCI, but you might not get your military discount and the use the Wow sale price. Just sayin. Other than that, I would say that both lines have their good and their bad days. Just like any other business. :rolleyes:

Thanks for pointing out about combining discounts. I double-checked the fine print, and these 2 happen to be combinable. At the end it gives the "summary of charges" and lists both the discount and the on-board credit. That's what makes this seem like a really good deal.

The ports are not that exciting on the Oasis (although both the Breeze and Oasis include St. Maarten, which we really like and wanted to go back to this year). That being said, I guess with the mega ships like the Oasis and Allure, it is the ship that is the destination, and the ports are somewhat secondary.

I'm in the process of reading a pictorial review of the Oasis by cupcrazy, and I must say I'm impressed, not just with the ship itself but also with some of the tweaks RCI has made on some of the more mundane processes, like boarding and finding your photos. Embarkation was something I was thinking would be a mess on such a big ship (especially compared to the priority/platinum boarding we'd have on Carnival), but it seems like they have the process fairly streamlined. Opinions about embarkation/debarkation would be helpful.

It's still a difficult decision for us because we haven't done any of the Dream-class ships on Carnival yet and want to try the Breeze. This next cruise of ours will be for our 10th wedding anniversary, so I want to do something special, and it was the 8-day Breeze all the way until I got that promotional e-mail from RCI. ;)

I'd appreciate any further input, fellow CCer's. I may post something similar on RCI's board, but I thought I would start here. Thanks again!

We have sailed both Carnival and RCCL and we really enjoy both...but I would agree with the PPer, if they were the same price I would choose RCCL hands down. RCCL has really just taken shipboard experience to the next level...not only are their ships gorgeous, but there are just sooo many activities and things to do, you couldn't do them all in one week.

Like I said, we love Carnival as well, but especially for still getting a balcony, I wouldn't even consider it in this case :) And we are sailing the Breeze in 10 days!

As you can see from my signature--- I have done both, and getting ready to do the breeze for a second time; that being said I would choose

Oasis--- embarkation was the easiest that we have ever done... That even includes priority boarding ( we had a suite) on carnival.

Entertainment is better on Oasis, actually RCI in general has better entertainment.

Like others have said.. The ship is the destination.

We also loved the breeze, ship is definitely nice for carnival, but doesn't even compare to Oasis/allure.

I also would like to try RCI but I just compared them for the next cruise we are planning to take for New Years and the Breeze is $3194 for a balcony on the Lido and the Allure is $7394 for a balcony on deck 11. So I will be going on the Breeze again.

Go for it!! You will not be disappointed! The Oasis class ships are simply amazing! One week is not enough on these ships. I sailed on Allure this past November and looking forward to sailing on her again November 2014.

There is a link to my review of my Allure cruise in my signature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

Edited by MrFunInTheSun

I have been on Allure and Oasis several times and sailed on Breeze in October this year. We are sailing on Breeze again in two days.

I love both the Oasis class ships and Breeze. The entertainment on Allure and Oasis is phenomenal! They also have "to die for" roast beef sandwiches in the Park Cafe.

Breeze doesn't seem as crowded to me. That's just my opinion and I LOVE the water slides.

For me, it is all about the cost.

I LOVE the Oasis class!!!! We got married on the Oasis and have been dying to go back on ever since. However, these past few years we've been taking family trips w/ my parents, my sisters, and their families (they each have 2 children, ranging from 2-8 yrs old) so we've been doing the Dream class due to costs. For just my husband and I, there's not much of a price difference between RC and Carnival, at least for the ships that we would want to sail on. However, the 3rd/4th passenger rates would kill my sisters when comparing the 2 lines. So for costs for families w/ kids, Carnival has been better deals...we just have to grin and bare it and go on another awful cruise :rolleyes::p! If price was event the same, we would absolutely be on an Oasis class! But we'll be on the Breeze in less then a month and I know we will enjoy ourselves.

In comparison (if you even want to call it that-there really is no comparison) there is just more space on the Oasis class and I feel like there are way more areas for entertainment in general, not just shows/productions. The pools are better on the Oasis class, and while the slides are fun on the Dream class, the kids area on RC ships in general (larger ships at least) look like a ton of fun. Go for it!!!

There is absolutely NO comparison. The Allure/Oasis are the most amazing ships. You will NOT be at the bottom of the totem pole. They treat each and every guest the same. The only ship we have boarded that even comes close is NCL Breakaway.

LOL I was about to post the exact same thing, including the bold and underline :p:p:p Ok, lets try it:

There is absolutely NO comparison!!!

We had the misfortune (tongue in cheek) of cruising the Breeze right after cruising on Oasis twice consecutively, and although we had a great time as we do on every cruise, we missed the amenities of Oasis the entire week. Nothing Carnival has comes even remotely close to matching up with the amenities of an Oasis Class ship, and I'd say this is particularly true for the Carnival ships with the "2.0" entertainment cutbacks, like Breeze.

So, to answer your question, Oasis, hands down.

LOL I was about to post the exact same thing, including the bold and underline :p:p:p Ok, lets try it:

There is absolutely NO comparison!!!

We had the misfortune (tongue in cheek) of cruising the Breeze right after cruising on Oasis twice consecutively, and although we had a great time as we do on every cruise, we missed the amenities of Oasis the entire week. Nothing Carnival has comes even remotely close to matching up with the amenities of an Oasis Class ship, and I'd say this is particularly true for the Carnival ships with the "2.0" entertainment cutbacks, like Breeze.

So, to answer your question, Oasis, hands down.

Totally agree....next...the QUANTUM......:o:o:o

If I remember correctly, Tapi and Gambee have both written outstanding reviews on the Allure.

Thanks for the outstanding remark! :D

To the OP, I haven't sailed on the Oasis or the Breeze, but I have sailed on their sister ships, Allure and Dream, within months of each other. While we had a wonderful time on both, the Dream was a "that was nice" kind if cruise. The Allure was a "Wow! That was absolutely amazing!! I can't stop talking about it!! That was a once in a lifetime experience" kind of cruise. If you can sail on Oasis for LESS money than the Breeze, DO IT!! When we sailed on the Allure, it ended up costing us more than twice what we paid for our Dream cruise (and our cabin on the Allure was just a Boardwalk window cabin while our Dream cabin was a midship balcony cabin). Even with that, we thought that what we spent on the Allure was completely worth it.

I have written reviews for both sailings. The Allure review was written from the perspective of a Carnival Platinum cruiser so I hope that it is helpful. I compare the good and the bad and I even point out where Carnival excelled over the Allure. Feel free to click on both links (they are in my signature below).

Happy cruising! It will be awesome!

Edited by Tapi

To be able to cruise Oasis, for less $$ than CCL is reason enough, but to step out of your comfort zone and try something new and not have it cost you more is pretty awesome....especially knowing that this ship gets excellent reviews. I haven't heard many people say they didn't like Oasis and if they did, I can't recall why.

Try all the lines when opportunity permits. It makes cruising that much better. Having platinum status is nice, but it is not worth being line monogamous....no way.

I have not sailed of the Oasis or her sister ships. I keep looking at Youtube videos and find myself wondering. Where is the water?

I have sailed over 20 times with Carnival and twice with RCCL. One of the things that is most important to me is being outside and feeling the wind and smelling the ocean. Right now the Fantasy class ship is my favorite. I love the stern of the ship with open areas to sit, eat, and watch the sea.

With the Conquest class ships I feel very closed in. I try to get a balcony. The deck 3 outside areas are great. That is where I spend most of my time.

Spirit Class ships are a nice size of ship, but I sure do miss the lounging on deck 3. The times I have been on them there where no chairs in that area. I am not a pool and sun person. You will find me on the shady side of the ship most of the time.

This brings me to the Breeze. My wife and I have booked a cove balcony on her. I get pumped when I look at Youtube video showing all the open areas. Yes I do see a lot of shady areas.

It's been four years since I last cruised. I am hoping that Carnival is close to the line that I have loved. Reading postings on Cruise Critic has me concerned about somethings.

I would totally say go for it. I can't believe you are able to get such comparable prices. I'm looking at the NYE sailing on the Breeze for our family of four. It is just totally so different on RCCL. On Carnival, 2 interior cabins (only $100 more than ONE interior cabin) is $3299, and on RCCL, the same week (granted, one more night since the Breeze sailing is only 6 nights) the Allure is $7100. More than twice as much! It's nuts. I would love to take our family on that but I'm afraid to start and then have our yearly vacation cost us twice as much as normal. And to get two cabins on RCCL is $1500 more! I have no doubt that it is a much more amazing experience, but at what cost?? If I were you, I would take it but be aware that you will likely forever be spoiled! :)

Happy sails,

angie

Thanks for the outstanding remark! :D

To the OP, I haven't sailed on the Oasis or the Breeze, but I have sailed on their sister ships, Allure and Dream, within months of each other. While we had a wonderful time on both, the Dream was a "that was nice" kind if cruise. The Allure was a "Wow! That was absolutely amazing!! I can't stop talking about it!! That was a once in a lifetime experience" kind of cruise. If you can sail on Oasis for LESS money than the Breeze, DO IT!! When we sailed on the Allure, it ended up costing us more than twice what we paid for our Dream cruise (and our cabin on the Allure was just a Boardwalk window cabin while our Dream cabin was a midship balcony cabin). Even with that, we thought that what we spent on the Allure was completely worth it.

I have written reviews for both sailings. The Allure review was written from the perspective of a Carnival Platinum cruiser so I hope that it is helpful. I compare the good and the bad and I even point out where Carnival excelled over the Allure. Feel free to click on both links (they are in my signature below).

Happy cruising! It will be awesome!

Thanks! I will definitely take time to read your review. It sounds like it's Oasis hands down based on the input here. I'm trying to "educate" myself on RCI now.

There are 2 reasons we are still somewhat considering the Breeze: The first is that we prefer the week of Dec. 6 since that will encompass our actual anniversary date. The Oasis is doing Western that week, so we would have to wait until the Dec. 13th sailing if we want the Eastern itinerary. The 2nd is that the Breeze is 8 days as opposed to 7 days on the Oasis. Love that extra day :)

I just calculated the price per day/per passenger on both cruises (Dec. 13th on the Oasis and Dec. 6 on the Breeze).

Breeze: $126.56 pp/pd on Early Saver (8 days Eastern, mid-ship lido deck balcony)

Oasis: $120 pp/pd (7 days Eastern, category D5 mid-ship ocean-view balcony or D6 aft ocean-view balcony) That price takes into account $150 in OBC currently offered with the WOW promo.

We have never had a bad cruise on Carnival. In fact, we really liked both the Liberty and Glory, and DH loves 2.0, but the Oasis just seems like it's calling our names...