RCI vs. Celebrity?

We have sailed Celebrity several times in the past and are now looking at a southern Caribbean cruise on Legend of the Seas. I realize this is an older ship, without many of the things RCI is noted for, but this is not a big issue with us. We are a group of 4 adults, 2 retired, and tour more for the itinerary than for the ship.

I have heard that RCI has Pepsi products rather than Coke, and there is no "select" or "anytime" dining option. only fixed seating. DD has heard that there are no mini-fridges in the cabins. What else can we expect?

I should add that we are not going be booking any sort of suites--an oceanview or balcony is fine with us.

Thanks,

Kathy

Royal has Coke products.

Royal also has My Time Dining, where you can eat in the Main Dining Room whenever you want.

If you are at least Select level on Celebrity, you should call Royal's Crown & Anchor Society (800-526-9723) and request reciprocity. They will give you at least Platinum level on Royal, which will get you (among other perks) a discount on balcony staterooms. Have your Captain's Club number handy if you call.

Edited by clarea

We have sailed Celebrity several times in the past and are now looking at a southern Caribbean cruise on Legend of the Seas. I realize this is an older ship, without many of the things RCI is noted for, but this is not a big issue with us. We are a group of 4 adults, 2 retired, and tour more for the itinerary than for the ship.

I have heard that RCI has Pepsi products rather than Coke, and there is no "select" or "anytime" dining option. only fixed seating. DD has heard that there are no mini-fridges in the cabins. What else can we expect?

I should add that we are not going be booking any sort of suites--an oceanview or balcony is fine with us.

Thanks,

Kathy

Every Royal ship I've been on has a mini-fridge. As a matter of fact, when you first get to your cabin, it's full of beverages and snacks so we just ask our cabin steward to remove everything so we don't get charged for anything. We just got off the Serenade last week and our cabin steward put everything in a bag and stowed it under the bed. :)

Not all cabins on the legend have the mini-fridge. We were on Legend last month and we were in a balcony cabin and had the 'chiller', friends who were in ocean view did not. Keep in mind the 'chiller' won't get products as cold as your home fridge, but it will help.

Legend does have their version of Select dining, called My Time Dining.

I believe I saw Diet Coke being served on board

Royal has Coke products.

Royal also has My Time Dining, where you can eat in the Main Dining Room whenever you want.

If you are at least Select level on Celebrity, you should call Royal's Crown & Anchor Society (800-526-9723) and request reciprocity. They will give you at least Platinum level on Royal, which will get you (among other perks) a discount on balcony staterooms. Have your Captain's Club number handy if you call.

Has MTD made it to Legend? I know Majesty had it my last trip, but the Vision class is the only class I haven't been on yet. I assume it has on all the ships now.

Has MTD made it to Legend? I know Majesty had it my last trip, but the Vision class is the only class I haven't been on yet. I assume it has on all the ships now.

I believe MTD is fleetwide now. It was on Legend during our cruise this past October.

Every Royal ship I've been on has a mini-fridge. As a matter of fact, when you first get to your cabin, it's full of beverages and snacks so we just ask our cabin steward to remove everything so we don't get charged for anything. We just got off the Serenade last week and our cabin steward put everything in a bag and stowed it under the bed. :)

I have to add that we've only been in a balcony or Junior Suite - don't know about the other cabins. :confused:

I have to add that we've only been in a balcony or Junior Suite - don't know about the other cabins. :confused:

Every RC ship in every class I've been on had the mini-fridge, but if you ask me which ones had them that actually cooled anything ;)

Hey neighbor!! We will be on Legend this month for a B2B. We have an oceanview cabin on deck 2. We chose this ship for the itinerary, and price. When we booked last year (Jan), we were also able to use a C&A certificate for each segment. The price was a great one, and now we are escaping the cold winter for 21 nights on the Legend. They also have a Park Cafe, which I love, and a Chops grille. I think you will be very happy with this little "intimate" ship. We have been on the great big ships (Allure and Oasis) and the little ones, Majesty and Empress. We have had good cruises on all of them. Each type offers a different cruise experience. Don't have a lot of expectations going into the cruise, and I think you will have a wonderful cruise. And, you are cruising with friends!

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.

I'm not sure where I heard that RCI served Pepsi products. I think it was from one of my friends at work, but she's sailed on so many different lines that I could have gotten them confused. I can live with Diet Pepsi but much prefer Diet Coke.

MTD--we prefer the flexibility so it is good to know that this is now available.

I've never yet met a mini-fridge that keeps things as cold as a regular refrigerator, but it's nice to be able to keep some sodas to enjoy on the balcony.

We were on the Celebrity Summit, which is comparable in size to the Legend, and found it a very comfortable experience, not as overwhelming as the extra-large to ginormous ships.

Debshomespun--lucky you to be getting out of this miserable weather. We're looking at a cruise in Feb. 2015 for that exact reason.

Thanks again to all of you for your reassuring responses.

Kathy

I can confirm this - 4 cruises on Vision class ships in either an inside or ocean view cabin - never had a fridge.

Not all cabins on the legend have the mini-fridge. We were on Legend last month and we were in a balcony cabin and had the 'chiller', friends who were in ocean view did not. Keep in mind the 'chiller' won't get products as cold as your home fridge, but it will help.

Thanks,

Kathy

Looks like about everything you have heard is wrong. Coke products, my time dining, fridges are in every cabin.