A different passport question

sanger727

Okay, So this isn't the "do I need a passport" question, and in fact, it really doesn't relate to a cruise but I can't find any way to get this answered. The passport website has a phone number but when you call it only gives you the option to talk to a person to check your status, not to ask questions. I called the post office and they sounded clue-less. I emailed the passport people but I don't know how quickly they will respond.

Okay, so I had my passport issued in 2005 and it expires in 2015. In 2005, I always used my middle name on official documents (although my full name is on my birth certificate and social security card of course). So my name on my passport is first name, initial, last name. I am traveling in 2014 and a relative made the arrangements and she mistakenly used my full middle name

It's a big trip and she used travelocity for the flights, the flights are through multiple airlines, and then we switch over to a land tour who is making more flight arrangments and hotel arrangments for us... so the point I'm trying to make it that I think It would be too difficult and risky to try and switch over to the middle initial through them... and I've seen on delta's website how big they are with your name and spelling must match your passport exactly. So I don't want to travel internationally with this discrepency.

So, bottom line, I've decided just to renew my passport early. I don't know how to do this to make sure that they use my full middle name and not just my middle initial in this one. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation or have training where they might know a little about how to deal with this situation?

Edited by sanger727

I could be totally wrong here, but I know they always say the name has to be exact. But, I know mine has not been many times while traveling, and we travel alot.

Do a bit more checking, but I think what people say, and then reality is another story.

I did a quick search and found this for you

I could be totally wrong here, but I know they always say the name has to be exact. But, I know mine has not been many times while traveling, and we travel alot.

Do a bit more checking, but I think what people say, and then reality is another story.

I did a quick search and found this for you

Thanks for the info. Not sure what I'll do. My travel partner has got me super worried, basically telling me that she thinks the discrepency will stop me from being able to fly. More worried myself just because it's international...so if I did run into a situation where I get there fine, and I get to the airport to come back and they say that I can't board over it... there's no way to drive back!

For what it's worth. DH's passport has first middle and last name. I make all travel arrangements, flight, cruise, etc. Never have I used his middle name when booking travel arrangements and yet his passport has it on it.

He's never had one person stop him or question him. He always carries a drivers' license and birth certificate card on him but he has never been asked to verify who he is.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your first and last name is correct.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as your first and last name is correct.
That's the problem… his tickets only have his middle name (which is what he goes by) and not his first name, and his passport only has his middle initial.

I recently renewed my US passport, and I provided my full names on the application, and they printed all of my names in full in the passport. But that's how they appeared in my previous passport already. I guess you could try attaching a note to your application asking them to print your full middle name. Or apply in person (and pay more… :().

My sister had this situation on one of her sailings the Pasport department told her what she can do is get a Passcard "a little less expensive" with the spelling one way and her passport was spelt the same way as your DH and if they ask you have both forms of ID.

Keep in mind that the Passcard does not apply when traveling any were but Mexico, Canada, and on cruises going to the Carribean and Bahamas.

I hope this helps.

OP- will your passport have at least 6 months before expiring when you travel? I've read/heard that it's not recommended/allowed (depending on where you're going) to have less than 6 months left on your passport when traveling. It does surprise me that your current passport just has your middle initial and not your full name as it reads on your birth certificate. My 1st passport was issued in 2001 and has my full name (first middle last).

Edited by hes122

Your post is a teensy bit confusing. But, if the first & last names on your ticket and passport match exactly, you should be fine. Middle names are not required on passports. All our families passports have full middle names and I don't think I even put initials in when buying tickets. If your ticket says first-initial middle-name, and your passport has first-name middle-initial, you will very likely have a problem.

If your passport has first-name middle-initial last-name and you want to change it to middle-name, you should probably follow the instructions on travel.state.gov for changing your name - take the proper form, proper ID, and apply in person, &/or for an error (ie. Typo). If you renew by mail, your new passport will have the exact same name as the current one.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk

I have used my Middle name since well my folks gave it to me at birth.

BUT the legal requirements just make a mess out of this - SO to keep everyone

happy all my travel documents are in my FULL name and since my father is no

longer living I don't have to worry about being confused with him (JUNIOR).

I still am recognized by my middle name.

Anyway in the case of the OP it would be best to use your FULL name on all

government documents; airline tickets - travel and others.

If you don't plan to renew the Passport when it expires (not a good idea) you

will have at least 10 years before you have to start at the beginning with your

birth certificate to initiate a new one. I did this once - never again - way too

much hassel - don't let it happen to you. Also consider this if traveling most

governments; airlines; cruise ships etc. require that the Passport be AT LEAST

VALID until 6 months after the travel - big hang up with VISAs !

Finally it is less expensive to renew the Passport before it expires and you

ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY DO *NOT* NEED OVERNIGHT EXPRESS ACTION on

renewals made timely before travel departure. Just another rip off service !

Bon Voyage - have a great travel time and smooth check-in thru all check points !

They say that everything should match EXACTLY, but I've never had a problem with middle name, middle initial, or no middle initial on tickets. My passport and DL both have my full middle name on them - and it's my maiden name, so it could easily be mistaken for a hyphenated last name - but I've never had an issue. I ALWAYS type in my full middle name when making reservations, but some airlines shorten it to middle initial and so does NCL. It hasn't been a problem for me, but I always worry a little until I make it through security!