Strange charges on my debit card!!

DTC

I balanced my acct today. Everything balanced. A few minutes ago i went on to see if my paycheck was deposited & there are 2 charges dated 1-3-14 informato atm cancun. One is $4. And one is over $400!!!! I was in cozumel on dec 6 but didnt use my debit card. I'll be calling my financial institution ASAP but why do i have to find these errors at nite when i cant fix them??? And we leave next Saturday for another cruise!! Anyone else have similar issues??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I balanced my acct today. Everything balanced. A few minutes ago i went on to see if my paycheck was deposited & there are 2 charges dated 1-3-14 informato atm cancun. One is $4. And one is over $400!!!! I was in cozumel on dec 6 but didnt use my debit card. I'll be calling my financial institution ASAP but why do i have to find these errors at nite when i cant fix them??? And we leave next Saturday for another cruise!! Anyone else have similar issues??

To me, this looks like someone probably cloned your card and used it to make an ATM withdrawal.. I think the $4 could be the ATM fee, and the $400 odd number is probably the highest amount they could withdraw from the ATM with exchange rates..

And THIS is the exact reason I DO NOT use my debit card attached to my checking account. I have a pre paid AMEX that I got at WalMart. It acts just like a debit/credit card but only has the money I put on it for use. Once the money is gone, nothing else can be applied. I use it exclusively for travel. I put money on at Walmart or I can buy a Green Dot card to add funds.

There should be a 24/7 number for your bank where you can report a lost or stolen card. You definitely want to do that asap, even though it sounds like you have the card in your possession. Do not wait until morning to talk to someone at the bank....someone could rack up even more charges by then.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Forums mobile app

One more reason we ONLY deal in cash when travelling. :(

I hope you can get it resolved quickly.

Explain money missing from their accounts to people who have not travelled. Just a few months ago My SS check never made it to my checking account. Someone set up an online account diverting the check to them.

Dealing with cash is indeed safer, but still no guarantee one's account will not be tampered with at home.

I actually have the name of a manager who has helped me with other issues. So i will call her tomorrow at 8am.

That would be foolish to wait. They may have been testing small purchases, and then will move on to the big things. And now you have documented that you didn't follow their procedure to notify them at once, making you liable for those large purchases because you decided to wait.

I hope you called your bank last night...you could be waking up to an empty bank account this morning. Your bank will help you get your money back, but it will take a few days to a few weeks to do so...it definitely sounds like someone cloned your card.

A few years back I used my Amex in Cozumel.

Exactly one month later, my Amex was being used in a Walmart in Cancun (they made a duplicate card, it wasn't online)...

I immediately received a call from Amex because, coincidentally, I was travelling to Germany, and just used it in Atlanta and then Munich. Also, American Express is good in the fact that they're system recognized a trial charge of $7, then tried for $700. Neither one made it my account, and all was good (they overnighted me a new card in Germany)

I thought back to Cozumel, and I only used my card twice. Once as a guarantee on a scooter, and once it was swiped at Margaritaville. I tend to think it was the scooter folks because they used the old-school machine, where it made an imprint. Whether it was the person who did it, or somehow someone manages to get the copies out of their files or such.

Good luck getting it straight before you go away!!!

I'm fairly certain they won't be held liable just for waiting a few hours to speak with someone they are comfortable speaking with. I am in law enforcement and we deal with this all the time. Banks seem to be getting easier and easier to work with about these issues. I was also hit with a couple of test charges over the holidays. I had zero issues speaking with someone a couple of days after it was detected, and my money was put back in hours. Oh, and I didn't file a police report other than what I told myself..ha.

Edited by dwayneb236

I always use my credit cards in ports, if I have to use a card at all. I would never want to take the chance of losing my "actual" money in my debit account. I did once have a strange charge on my card that didn't make sense. I called my card company and we looked at the parent company through their system. When we found the parent company, I realized it was a legit charge. Sometimes, these companies use strange names on your account and you have to look at the whole charge to see who and where it came from.

It was really weird. It was a charge I did in FL before leaving, but it was like a name with Jamaica in it...........weird, but legit.

We've had this happen several times here in the states. Charges from Jet Blue (he was on a vaca to Ft. Lauderdale, to someone ordering pizza a papa johns in texas (we live in NC). I don't know how they get these numbers but CC company is pretty good about making it right. After reading this I will not be using my debit card for anything. I can't afford to have bills bounce bc they depleted my bank account.

I use a prepaid card too. I once had an issue after renting a car. I didn't know the rule about not letting your card out of your sight.

Carnival Destiny jan 2010

Carnival Liberty 9/28/13

Carnival Victory 10/5/13

Carnival Sensation 3/9/14

Carnival Sensation 3/14/14

OP,

Just an F.Y.I.

Friends of mine had fraudlent charges on their credit card 2 weeks prior to their cruise. All was resolved prior to them cruising. They were issued a new credit card with new numbers. They also notified their credit card company 2 times prior to cruising that they would be on a cruise and out of the US. They do not use their card at any ports and only pay cash, BUT used their credit card for their SNS account.

On day 2 of the cruise they were called to Guest Services about the "marker" on their account and explained the situation. Guest Services had them contact the credit card company right there and then. They THOUGHT all was ok...however, they were called AGAIN to Guest Services on Day 3 and 4 over the exact same thing. Many hours were spent at Guest Services over this issue.

At the end of the cruise, they received a note in their mailbox that they would not be permitted to Disembark until they went to guest services....SAME ISSUE... They almost missed their flight home as it was another 2.5 hours on the phone with the credit card company.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU GET A CONFIRMATION OR REFERENCE # when addressing this issue.

It was not Carnival's fault, it was the credit card company (Carnival MasterCard) for not supplying these needed Conifrmation and/or Reference numbers in order for Carnival to be able to charge their SNS account to the Carnival MasterCard.

Edited by PittsburghGirlee

Seems this kind of things happens a lot recently and is out of control. It is not just credit/debit card. Two weeks ago I received two emails in a row from neweggs. The first one was shipping address change. The next one was a $900 camera order!:mad: The charge went to our credit card as well. Thank godness we stopped the order. Last night we found our points program was hacked and someone redeemed himself a $10 itunes card. They would do that just for $10.:(

Edited by guxu