Motion in the Forward Cabins In Alaska

H20mac3

We are heading out on the Regatta in August and have booked a category C1 forward cabin. We went for the extra space as my husband is 6'8" wanted a little extra room to maneuver in. I know there might be noise from the anchors (that's what earplugs are for!) but I am a little concerned about the motion from being in the bow. I already have sea bands and plan on getting the patch from dr as a precaution. Anything else I should know? We are so excited for this trip! We are traveling with friends (their 40th!!!) and are looking forward to making new friends as well. What a fabulous way to spend our 35th anniversary!

We are heading out on the Regatta in August and have booked a category C1 forward cabin. We went for the extra space as my husband is 6'8" wanted a little extra room to maneuver in. I know there might be noise from the anchors (that's what earplugs are for!) but I am a little concerned about the motion from being in the bow. I already have sea bands and plan on getting the patch from dr as a precaution. Anything else I should know? We are so excited for this trip! We are traveling with friends (their 40th!!!) and are looking forward to making new friends as well. What a fabulous way to spend our 35th anniversary!

Since most of Alaska cruise do the inside passage. There is a tendency to have less rocking or motion in the bow. If leaving from Seattle you'll probably get motion in the bow depending on the weather.

Since most of Alaska cruise do the inside passage. There is a tendency to have less rocking or motion in the bow. If leaving from Seattle you'll probably get motion in the bow depending on the weather.

Don't psych your self out.... your already worried about something that normally would not happen in this route. BUT, if you think it will your brain will make darn shure it does. Attitude is first and foremost in sea sickness.

Anchoring? All ports are docks no anchor.

Making yourself freak out about anchors noise and ship movemet.... its a ship in the ocean.

Without being rude, if all this worries you..why would you ever cruise on a ship?

We just returned from a Nautica (sister ship of Regatta) cruise and were on deck 10 the third cabin back from the bridge, just across from the front elevators/stairwell.

Now we were in the Med, not Alaska, but only one night did we experience any significant movement (and remember, movement is more pronounced the higher you get above the sea). We had been on Nautica mid-ship deck 7 in the Med the first time we sailed O and experienced fairly similar movement. So if you've sailed on an R ship before and were content, you will likely be ok this time too.

If you're still concerned, also be aware ginger and green apples are considered to help as well. Take the ginger with you when you board. The crew will see you get the green apples if you need them.

Bon Voyage.

Despite the rudeness of some I thank you all for taking the time to address my concern. It's been a while since I've been able to go on a cruise. I believe in being prepared when I travel and I've been reading the boards. I asked my question just in case I had missed something in my research.

So yes, I'm very aware that I will be on a ship and said ship will actually move through the pacific ocean between ports. We are traveling with friends who have never been on a cruise before and they have questions as well. I sailed on Holland America the last time so we are looking forward to the Oceania Experience. Life is short - we plan to enjoy every minute of this experience

We have been in the forward cabins on several cruises and are booked in 1 again later this year for the Amazon. If the seas are rough you will certainly feel more motion than in a midship cabin and there may be more noise. You are wise to think about taking some type of seasickness remedy. Consult your doctor because those OTC meds may interfere with any other drugs you may be taking.

Despite the rudeness of some I thank you all for taking the time to address my concern. It's been a while since I've been able to go on a cruise. I believe in being prepared when I travel and I've been reading the boards. I asked my question just in case I had missed something in my research.

So yes, I'm very aware that I will be on a ship and said ship will actually move through the pacific ocean between ports. We are traveling with friends who have never been on a cruise before and they have questions as well. I sailed on Holland America the last time so we are looking forward to the Oceania Experience. Life is short - we plan to enjoy every minute of this experience

When we were new to cruising we did book a forward (vista) cabin and we're not at all happy.

We hit several storms, one lasting all night, and were very seasick. We have since moved to the back cabins for 10 cruises and have never had a problem even in rough waters. Whatever cabin you choose bring Bonine and always have ginger ale, crackers and green apples in your cabin. Enjoy oceania.