Hawaii Cruise

kth24

We did a Hawaii cruise in 2010 out of LA on the Golden, a sister ship of the Grand.

A. The Pacific can be a little rough (I didn’t have any problems, but then I never get seasick). The first two and last two sea days of the cruise the outside temperature’s will probably be on the cool side.

B. I can't speak about the Grand, but the Golden is very nice. There is a covered pool for those less than perfect days.

C. We really enjoyed the cruise. Keep in mind that out of 14 days only 4 are spent in Hawaii so think of it as a taste of Hawaii. Also there are 4 sea days out and 4 sea days back, plus a stop in Mexico (We didn't get off the ship, just treated it as another sea day and enjoyed the Sanctuary). So if you are worried about being stir crazy with all the sea days it might not be the best cruise for you. That said there are usually lots of activities on board; Hula lessons, lei making, lectures, etc.

Looking at Hawaii cruise from LA or San Francisco Feb. to May

1 How are the waters?

2 Anyone know about Grand Princess?

3 Any opinions.

You need to be more specific about the Grand. It's getting old. Very old. Lots of stuff needs fixing and I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it in the near future. If you have another choice of ship, I would consider that one instead of the Grand.

1 How are the waters?

3 Any opinions.

We sailed out of SP on Mar. 27, 2013 for a 14 day RT to Hawaii and only had choppy waters for first 2 days.

Since the Grand is a sister ship to our last two cruises on the Golden (Hawaii) and Star (Alaska) I would say that you will really enjoy the accommodations on her. Sailing on Princess is like a 5 star hotel that takes you where you want to go.~~~~

I believe you will really enjoy the cruise. Sea Days are relaxing and calming with plenty to do if you check the "Princess Patter" daily. As for Hawaii, well you will soon see why everyone that goes can't wait to go back. Cruising to Hawaii is truly a once in a lifetime experience!

Note: Our only complaint was that it was during California's Spring Break and there were around 350 kids!

I've done that itinerary 5 times (4 times out of LA, once out of SFO), I definitely prefer the sailings out of San Pedro. The one I embarked in SFO, it was a nightmare of mass confusion and very long lines, so I would be reluctant to sail out of there again.

I have gone on HI cruises in late January once, mid March 3 times, and once in October.

There was only once out of those 5 cruises when I experienced the the seas being bumpy leaving CA. Not enough so to cause me any problems, but then I have never gotten queasy due to ocean motion. Except for that little bit of bumpiness once, all of my HI cruises were actually pretty smooth, and on a couple of them the Pacfic was as smooth as glass.

Some people don't enjoy sea days, but I find them very relaxing. The Islands are all lovely, and while you only get to spend a day visiting each one, IMO it's a great way to get a "taste" of each one.

The Grand is one of 4 Princess ships I have not cruised on yet ..... maybe eventually I will. The Golden, which I have cruised on twice is a great ship IMO.

Edited by flamomo

My DH and I took the roundtrip from LA to Hawaii last April. We had a great time, the weather was cool until we got to the islands. There was so much to do or NOT to do. The ocean wasn't too bad, matter of fact one night it was a bit bumpy but I just thought of it as a ride with more bang for my $$. We are going to do it again because it was so relaxing and we met so many people and heard so many interesting stories. Enjoy! :D

Both ships will get you to Hawaii and both cover the same waters. You cannot predict what the seas will be like from week to week, month to month. Just bring a little med if you think you are inclined to sea sickness...just in case. We cruised twice to Hawaii out of SF twice this last year on the Grand. Yes, she's a bit old but you wouldn't really see it unless you were looking for it. She just got out of a short drydock where there were some cosmetic improvements. Her furnishings are fine; she is a comfortable ship. We never felt crowded anywhere.

If I had to fly in to either port, my decision would be which port could give me the best flights and lowest costs. SF is a beautiful city and should be regarded as a destination and not just the port you are boarding your ship. There's really not much to see or do in San Pedro (LA).

KTH24 -- you didn't ask, but if seeing the fabulous humpback whales is of interest, they are in/around Maui from mid to late Nov. to late March (maybe early April). Just fantastic!

We saw many of them even late April this last year but none late November.

We leave tomorrow January 4 from SF on the Grand .. Will let you know more on our return.

We have gone from San Pedro twice before - on the Diamond on an October sailing, and on the Golden for a January sailing. October was a smoother sailing, but there was never a day that was too rough to handle.that being said, the first two days or so are choppy and cool.

We love sea days, and live in the Bay Area, so the Grand from SF was an easy choice for us.

We are on the January 19 sailing to Hawaii on the Star. Everyone mentions that the first couple of days are "cool" Are you able to sit outside? Are you talking 50 or 60 degrees or so (which would be a heat wave for us..we're from Michigan). Thanks in advance...I am starting to pack and not sure how warm of clothing I should bring.

We are on the January 19 sailing to Hawaii on the Star. Everyone mentions that the first couple of days are "cool" Are you able to sit outside? Are you talking 50 or 60 degrees or so (which would be a heat wave for us..we're from Michigan). Thanks in advance...I am starting to pack and not sure how warm of clothing I should bring.

Just like the ocean motion, weather can be unpredictable. I would suggest bringing a light jacket and few things you can layer with it. CA can be damp and chilly, as can the first and last couple of days at sea. Happily, it'll warm up as you get closer to Hawaii.

Edited by flamomo

We leave tomorrow January 4 from SF on the Grand .. Will let you know more on our return.

We have gone from San Pedro twice before - on the Diamond on an October sailing, and on the Golden for a January sailing. October was a smoother sailing, but there was never a day that was too rough to handle.that being said, the first two days or so are choppy and cool.

We love sea days, and live in the Bay Area, so the Grand from SF was an easy choice for us.

Why not post directly from the ship? I note that you are Platinum so you get your freebie minutes. :D

mla925:

We are on the Jan 19th cruise. If possible could you let us know exactly how cool the first two days are? Hoping I can sit out and watch movies under the stars during the day.

Also how the boarding process goes?

Have a great cruise

The Grand was the first of the Grand Class ships(Grand, Star, Golden).

It is slightly different. If you need storage, the closet area is half the size of the sister ships, shelves in closet, tiny too. Although the ship had the huge refurbishment (and removal of Skywalkers), the cabins remained in much poorer condition. Right now the Grand sails out of SF,

but it will be changing places with the Star and will be in San Pedro(LA) next season.

The first and last couple of days will be cool - probably highs in the 60's. Hope that helps.

You need to be more specific about the Grand. It's getting old. Very old. Lots of stuff needs fixing and I wouldn't be surprised if they got rid of it in the near future. If you have another choice of ship, I would consider that one instead of the Grand.

We were on the Grand to Hawaii out of San Francisco last October. Our experience couldn't have been better. We saw and experienced nothing that fits the description above. With the exception of the Horizon Court buffet, the food (main dining room and specialty locations), the service, encounters with the staff, and the overall experience were superior to our last several cruises on Holland America. We would go back on the Grand in a second. There were a couple of spots of rust on our verandah. Several elevators were slow. Big whoop.

We were on the Grand a year ago last November for 14 days over Thanksgiving in the Caribbean. We have previously cruised on the Grand before they removed Skywalkers and remodeled the Piazza. I felt she was in good shape. Was there some rust or wear and tear? Yes, but if you look, you will find it on all ships. I enjoyed every minute of this cruise and the ship itself. We always eat in the Main Dining room unless having dinner in Crown or Sabatinis. We had excellent service and good food. Bar staff were friendly and Cabin steward was excellent. My only complaint would be the smaller closets but definitely not a major problem. I would definitely sail on her again for the itinerary. DH and I will be taking the Star to Hawaii in February (one of our favorite ships) but the choice was made because we prefer to fly to LA instead of San Francisco. You should enjoy whichever choice you make as these are great cruises with lots of sea days to enjoy.

Edited by lljost

Although some people have negative thoughts of The Grand for not having SkyWalkers but I find that the added public open-air terraces that became available due to the design change is quite nice and the extra sunlight that now is available throughout the day on the aft pool is definitely a plus.

1 How are the waters?

3 Any opinions.

We love this cruise--we have gone 4 times out of SF on the Grand--yes its getting old but we have never had any problems on it and they got new mattresses in Oct. Our ta gives us a free bus to the terminal so we put our bags on the bus and don't see them again until we get in our cabin. We may have been lucky, but had great weather and seas (one or 2 days a little choppy). We even remarked several times how it was so smooth it looked like we were on a lake.