Coffee Makers in Room and other tidbit ?'s

alwayslisad

NCL used to have coffee pots in all the rooms but I heard a rumor that only suites have them now. I hope the rumor isn't true - we love making coffee in our room & not having to get room service. Anyone know the answer?

Suites have Lavazza machines (I think that's similar to Keurig). Balcony and Mini-suite cabins have coffee makers (4-cup models). Inside and oceanview staterooms have none.

ETA tidbits:

If the Dawn is the same as the Star (they are sister ships) there will be four fixed hooks on the back of the bathroom door, no need for over-the-door hooks. There is a clothes drying line inside the shower; I brought a dozen plastic clothespins and was glad I had. Also, there is only one US-style 110V outlet (and one Euro-220V that the coffee maker was plugged into), so a plug splitter or small power strip may be useful depending on your charging needs.

Edited by crystalspin

Hello all

I just read a review and the poster mentioned a coffee maker in her room on the Dawn... is this true? can anyone offer any other great tid-bits of information that a newbie NCL cruiser would need to know.....

We've always had a coffee maker in our rooms, balcony or mini suite. However, if you room does not have one, just ask the room steward for one. Good chance there's a spare around somewhere.

It seems to be harder to get the small coffee maker these days but I persevered aboard the GEM and finally got one. I, too, bring my own coffee and filters as the decaf which I must drink is terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

Third photo down on this page shows on Epic, similar to what we had on the N.Star: a "4-cup" Sunbeam with basket-style filter (flat). You can pack them truly flat if you open the package!

http://www.cruisemaven.com/norwegian-cruise-line-norwegian-epic-really-entertains/

This Q&A on NCL site confirms but of course doesn't give detail on filter type:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/questions#tab_detail

Edited by crystalspin

Third photo down on this page shows on Epic, similar to what we had on the N.Star: a "4-cup" Sunbeam with basket-style filter (flat). You can pack them truly flat if you open the package!

http://www.cruisemaven.com/norwegian-cruise-line-norwegian-epic-really-entertains/

This Q&A on NCL site confirms but of course doesn't give detail on filter type:

http://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/epic/questions#tab_detail

Thanks! That's perfect! I normally travel with my own coffee kit (Aeropress maker, hot water kettle, hand grinder and my home roast coffee, but I haven't been bringing it on cruises because they wouldn't allow the kettle. having a coffee maker is a good thing :D

On the Jade and the Spirit the coffee maker in the balcony cabins is the flat-bottomed type. To make a half-decent (i.e. strong) pot of coffee use two bags.

Thanks... I'll be bringing coffee since I roast my own.

NCL used to have coffee pots in all the rooms but I heard a rumor that only suites have them now. I hope the rumor isn't true - we love making coffee in our room & not having to get room service. Anyone know the answer?

We're sailing in a week on the Star and our room has a coffee maker....we'll be in a Balcony. October friends of ours sailed in a mini suite and they had a coffee maker.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Hello all

I just read a review and the poster mentioned a coffee maker in her room on the Dawn... is this true? can anyone offer any other great tid-bits of information that a newbie NCL cruiser would need to know.....

Small 4 cup coffee makers with coffee and creamer are available in balcony cabins and above. I love not having to call room service for that first cup in the morning, but a little over 1 cup each is what you will get. They say 4 cup, even though it is really closer to 3 cups.

Any tib bits, we haven't been on the Dawn yet, but will be in about 3 months: As for other NCL ships my advise and that is all it is: ask the crew members where they are from, if they have family at home, etc. they love to talk about home and will go out of their way to be friendly to those who are overly nice to them. Don't get me wrong, we have rarely come across an unfriendly crew member on NCL, but they are even nicer when you take an interest in them.

Board the ship as early as you can: it will give you more time to explore before the activities start.

Be sure and eat in, at least one specialty dining room, you will not regret it.

The solo cabins on the Epic didn't have coffeemakers... but the Solo lounge has one of the very last make-your-own-cappuchino machines in the fleet. (They used to have a slightly simpler one in the buffet on the Jewel, but they've turned off all the smarts now.)

I ended nearly every day of my cruise with a lovely cup of hot foamy milk. :D

Hi,

We were on the Jewel last February in an aft facing balcony. I read conflicting reports here about whether there was a coffeemaker or an electric hot pot to heat water in our cabin. I also read that some asked the stewart to change the hot pot to a coffeemaker and that worked. In our case it was a hot pot and I asked the stewart if we could have a 4 cup coffeemaker instead and he said no.

Hi,

We were on the Jewel last February in an aft facing balcony. I read conflicting reports here about whether there was a coffeemaker or an electric hot pot to heat water in our cabin. I also read that some asked the stewart to change the hot pot to a coffeemaker and that worked. In our case it was a hot pot and I asked the stewart if we could have a 4 cup coffeemaker instead and he said no.

What do you mean by saying it was a hot pot? I know what a hot pot is and all we have ever had, on any NCL cruise in balcony cabin has been a regular 4 cup coffee maker.

I have seen photos on line with just a plug in device that would heat/boil water, but not one that would hold a coffee filter and channel the water through it. The hot pot I saw was white, while the coffee pots (in photos and my balcony cabin last month) were black.