Birth Certificate Question

Dare2Believe

My boyfriend does not have a passport..we're on the Fascination next month. I've never traveled with anyone who DOESN'T have a passport, so I just want to be clear about what EXACTLY he needs to bring with him as far as documentation.

From what I've gathered from Carnival's website he needs his birth certificate and a photo ID (aka driver's license). Is that it?

My boyfriend does not have a passport..we're on the Fascination next month. I've never traveled with anyone who DOESN'T have a passport, so I just want to be clear about what EXACTLY he needs to bring with him as far as documentation.

From what I've gathered from Carnival's website he needs his birth certificate and a photo ID (aka driver's license). Is that it?

Yes

Make sure the birth certificate is the "certified" one with a raised seal and not the one from the hospital.

A passport is preferred but many people travel everyday with a birth certificate and drivers license.

We have sailed on the Fascination four times now......enjoy your cruise!!!!?

Make sure the birth certificate is the "certified" one with a raised seal and not the one from the hospital.

A passport is preferred but many people travel everyday with a birth certificate and drivers license.

We have sailed on the Fascination four times now......enjoy your cruise!!!!?

Oooh! Good call - I will have him check about the raised seal. Thanks so much.

Many places no longer use a raised seal but some sort of watermark or special paper for the Birth Certificate.

Also make sure it a full BC with his parents names on it. Some states in the early 90's were issuing Certificates that weren't full BCs.

To be safe he can get a new one from where he was born.

if it is not close vitacheck.com is very reliable.

As said previously a passport is not required to go on a closed loop cruise (departing and arriving from/to the same US port), only highly recommended. I went on the Victory 2 months ago and my friend had a copy of his birth certificate (from the state of NY) and his drivers license and he was good to go.

Many places no longer use a raised seal but some sort of watermark or special paper for the Birth Certificate.

Also make sure it a full BC with his parents names on it. Some states in the early 90's were issuing Certificates that weren't full BCs.

To be safe he can get a new one from where he was born.

if it is not close vitacheck.com is very reliable.

There is no requirement in the DHS regulations for the parents' names being on the birth certificate, that is a requirement of the State Department for issuing a passport. Passengers may use a copy of their birth certificate so raised seals, watermarks and special paper doesn't mean anything, the important thing is that it is the birth certificate issued by the government.

There is no requirement in the DHS regulations for the parents' names being on the birth certificate, that is a requirement of the State Department for issuing a passport. Passengers may use a copy of their birth certificate so raised seals, watermarks and special paper doesn't mean anything, the important thing is that it is the birth certificate issued by the government.

It doesn't say they have to use the long form birth certificate for a cruise, but to be safe I would make sure that is what I had. A while ago there were threads on CC about people being denied boarding in New Orleans because they only had the short form BC without all the info that the State Dept. now requires.

You can get one within a week from most states using Vitalchek dot com

It doesn't say they have to use the long form birth certificate for a cruise, but to be safe I would make sure that is what I had. A while ago there were threads on CC about people being denied boarding in New Orleans because they only had the short form BC without all the info that the State Dept. now requires.

You can get one within a week from most states using Vitalchek dot com

Short form?

My Daughters is diff than my Sons and mine. ours are a long sheet of paper and hers is half size. But is does have Mine and her fathers name, place of birth and county of birth and issuance from Indiana, Signature and a raised seal. So whats the deal with the long form? It came directly from the New Castle health department as they are the ones that issue the BC

Short form?

My Daughters is diff than my Sons and mine. ours are a long sheet of paper and hers is half size. But is does have Mine and her fathers name, place of birth and county of birth and issuance from Indiana, Signature and a raised seal. So whats the deal with the long form? It came directly from the New Castle health department as they are the ones that issue the BC

'long form' has nothing to do with the size of the paper, it means the information provided -- your daughter's has all the 'long form' info and is issued by the state -- you'll have no problem. :)

'long form' has nothing to do with the size of the paper, it means the information provided -- your daughter's has all the 'long form' info and is issued by the state -- you'll have no problem. :)

Thanks so much!

This is our 3rd cruise and we do not have passports so we always use birth certificates. Our first cruise, in 2011, we used short form Birth certificates with no problem. My daughter had a problem getting her passport with the short form so we went ahead and got everyone long forms. I don't even know why they make/sell the short ones. In Texas they are the same price. If you want the long form make sure you specifically ask for it because they automatically give you the short form.

Short form?

Our oldest DD received an 'Abstract of Birth' from the county. These were issued for a short time in the early 90's. IIRC it had her name, birthdate and possibly the hospital she was born in. It stated that there was a BC on file with the county. I do remember questioning them when we received it and they said it was what they were giving out.

We had to get her a new BC when we got her passport.

Anybody have a problem with B.C. having birth name and Drivers License having a married name on it

NCL-Sun 10/2006

NCL-Spirit 01/2010

NCL-Star 12/2012

No. No problems at all. But, DH & I bit the bullet a few years ago and got our passports. So much easier and worth it.

Edited by Rena921

Anybody have a problem with B.C. having birth name and Drivers License having a married name on it

This thread gives me de ja vu (in a bad way) lol. So I want to share this frightening story to brighten your day:

On our last cruise on the Valor out of Puerto Rico, we arrived at the port and I could not find my passport. Knew I used it at security at Charlotte-Douglas Airport, thought I gave it back to hubby, but he pulled his out and mine wasn't with it.

Now, it was a bad embarkation day anyway (pouring and there were some glitches, so check-in line was wayyyy out the door at around 1pm.

Anyway I was freaking out and when we finally got into the terminal, I asked for help and someone told me that if I could get someone to fax my birth certificate that I would be able to board.

So I called my daughter back home, asked her to go over to my house, go into our safe, get the B/C and take it to Home Depot and fax it to port. So, first, she faxed the wrong document..didn't know I had the stupid hospital record of birth in the safe too (lol).

So she had to go back to the house and find the correct document and re-fax. I am almost in tears at this point. (I know I know..carry multiple copies of all those papers - I have learned my lesson!!).

Anyway, don't ask me how I pulled this off, but my birth certificate has me as Debra (Maiden Name). My Drivers license has me as Debbie (Married Name) and my Cruise Documents were Debbie (Married Name).

They approved all my papers, and my birth certificate fax copy was awful.

Anyway, while they were finally processing our room card for sure, we sat down to relax and breathe, and guess what, hubby found my passport..it had gotten stuffed way down in a pocket of one of the carry-on bags.

This thread gives me de ja vu (in a bad way) lol. So I want to share this frightening story to brighten your day:

On our last cruise on the Valor out of Puerto Rico, we arrived at the port and I could not find my passport. Knew I used it at security at Charlotte-Douglas Airport, thought I gave it back to hubby, but he pulled his out and mine wasn't with it.

Now, it was a bad embarkation day anyway (pouring and there were some glitches, so check-in line was wayyyy out the door at around 1pm.

Anyway I was freaking out and when we finally got into the terminal, I asked for help and someone told me that if I could get someone to fax my birth certificate that I would be able to board.

So I called my daughter back home, asked her to go over to my house, go into our safe, get the B/C and take it to Home Depot and fax it to port. So, first, she faxed the wrong document..didn't know I had the stupid hospital record of birth in the safe too (lol).

So she had to go back to the house and find the correct document and re-fax. I am almost in tears at this point. (I know I know..carry multiple copies of all those papers - I have learned my lesson!!).

Anyway, don't ask me how I pulled this off, but my birth certificate has me as Debra (Maiden Name). My Drivers license has me as Debbie (Married Name) and my Cruise Documents were Debbie (Married Name).

Anyway, while they were finally processing our room card for sure, we sat down to relax and breathe, and guess what, hubby found my passport..it had gotten stuffed way down in a pocket of one of the carry-on bags.

This is the script for the nightmare dream the week of the cruise!! WoW!

WOW!! What a heart stopping situation. So glad things worked out for you!!

I would be in a bad way because we travel with our kids and their families, and our BFs. We'd have to track down extended family and give explicit instructions as to where to find all of those things!

Edited by momof4boys

DocMike---

It's going to depend on how your name is listed on your DL.

If your BC name is Jane Anne Smith and your DL name is Jane Smith Doe you should be OK.

If your BC name is Jane Anne Smith and your DL name is Jane Anne Doe you might have a problem.

Bring your Marriage License as a bridging document, just in case.

Edited by SadieN