Passport/Cruise documents

Ok, please bear with me when I try to explain our situation. Our son-in-law uses his middle name on almost everything. He just got his passport that lists his first name and then his middle name, the guy at the passport office told him to sign the passport using his middle name even though it lists his name as it really is (real first name, middle name, and last name) The cruise documents list his name as middle name...last name. Does anyone know if this will be a no-no? Does he have to change the name on the cruise documents to match the passport? I know this is hard to understand, but I hope you all can understand the problem and help me.

We are sailing 4/15/14.

Thanks in advance for any answers that anyone may have.

Passport must match his cruise documents. Call Carnival (or have your TA call) and change it.

John Wayne Smith is a lot different than Wayne Smith. Even if Wayne Smith is John Wayne Smith's his legal signature.

Whether traveling with passports or BC's it's always best to have all travel documents, not just for cruising, match. My DH goes by his middle name, but everyone on the ship calls him by his first until they find out otherwise, because we always list his full legal name on all documents so as there is no confusion.

Edited by cruise_gal21

Advice to sign middle name was wrong. In the US., your legal name is First, Middle, Last. On occasion, the documents just call for middle initial.

My sister almost was refused closing on her first house because the document signatures called for first, middle initial, last. She hates her middle name and just wanted to sign first and last.

She was told either sign as required or no close. She signed.

Advice to sign middle name was wrong. In the US., your legal name is First, Middle, Last. On occasion, the documents just call for middle initial.

My sister almost was refused closing on her first house because the document signatures called for first, middle initial, last. She hates her middle name and just wanted to sign first and last.

That's ridiculous. That closing agent was a fool. Your signature is your signature. I've bought and sold numerous houses in several different states and I have never signed my entire full name on any document. In fact, I rarely write out either my first or middle name, prefering to just use my initials. It has never impacted any legal document I have had to sign in any context. (To be clear, my full name would be typed out on the form and then I would sign in my usual way with just my initials.)

Ok, please bear with me when I try to explain our situation. Our son-in-law uses his middle name on almost everything. He just got his passport that lists his first name and then his middle name, the guy at the passport office told him to sign the passport using his middle name even though it lists his name as it really is (real first name, middle name, and last name) The cruise documents list his name as middle name...last name. Does anyone know if this will be a no-no? Does he have to change the name on the cruise documents to match the passport? I know this is hard to understand, but I hope you all can understand the problem and help me.

We are sailing 4/15/14.

Thanks in advance for any answers that anyone may have.

If it is a signature only I dont think it matters? How many signatures actually look like a persons written name? a signature is "Usual Signature"

A person who cannot write can use an X as a signature!

If he ends up with a signature on his passport that he is unfamiliar with then this can cause more problems like if he signs an overseas arrival card with his usual signature through habit and it doesnt match his passport correct name signature!

I think the passport agent is correct in letting him sign his passport with his "Usual" signature as that is how he will sign documents:)

What was stopping her from just printing her first name middle initial and last name?

He needs to change the booking to his full legal name as printed on his passport. They will deny him boarding.

His S&S card will list his first and last name. I go by my middle name but I've become accustom to being called by my first name when I'm on a ship.

And don't be surprised if he has to pay a $50 name change fee.

His signature is whatever his signature is. It's the names on the documents that matter.

If his legal name is John Joseph Smith, but he goes by Joseph, and signs his name as Joseph Smith, he still needs to have John Joseph (or J. or no middle) Smith on his passport, and the same name on his cruise documents, as well as airline documents if flying.

My signature is my first two initials and my last name, but no one can read any of it. Just the fact that that is consistently my signature is what matters.

I posted a similar question a couple of days ago.. DIL traveling with us.. I booked her with her married name.. passport is in maiden name. Passport has 8 years left on it, so didnt really want to get a new one.. travel agent changed the name with carnival to her maiden name, and said ALL TRAVEL DOC'S must match.. so she will be traveling with her madien name...

His signature is whatever his signature is. It's the names on the documents that matter.

If his legal name is John Joseph Smith, but he goes by Joseph, and signs his name as Joseph Smith, he still needs to have John Joseph (or J. or no middle) Smith on his passport, and the same name on his cruise documents, as well as airline documents if flying.

My signature is my first two initials and my last name, but no one can read any of it. Just the fact that that is consistently my signature is what matters.

I have quoted irishnyc to bump, so to be sure you read this!

The signature is not that important but the name shown on cruise documents must be the same as name on passport.

Cruise documents do not require the middle initial or middle name though, first and last is ok even though passport shows fist middle and last.

If ever booking an international flight he will need to use his full name as is on passport. Some people have been refused boarding an aircraft because they booked with fist and last name only when their passport shows first middle and last.

I posted a similar question a couple of days ago.. DIL traveling with us.. I booked her with her married name.. passport is in maiden name. Passport has 8 years left on it, so didnt really want to get a new one.. travel agent changed the name with carnival to her maiden name, and said ALL TRAVEL DOC'S must match.. so she will be traveling with her madien name...

We had exactly same experience taking our son and Daughter-in-law. Originally booked with her married name, but had to change it to her maiden name when we realized her passport was still in her maiden name. The cruise line and our TA both insisted all docs must match exactly.

[To make our situation more confusing, I'd already bought her air fare using her married name, so she carried her driver's license for boarding the plane, then used her passport for boarding the ship. (I was sure glad we were only flying to FLL and not out of country.)]

Edited by Gayle V

Couldn't she have taken her marriage license to go with her passport to prove who she was? I thought I'd read about newlyweds doing that?