Where does Liberty dock in Cozumel?

Anyone know if Cozumel used to be a tender port? My daughter and I are having a disagreement about this. We were there years ago and she says there was no pier and we had to tender. I thought sure there was a dock.

Thanks for the help!

Anyone know if Cozumel used to be a tender port? My daughter and I are having a disagreement about this. We were there years ago and she says there was no pier and we had to tender. I thought sure there was a dock.

Thanks for the help!

Don't know about docks years ago, but I do know that they tender once in a while even now, because the docks can get full.

Anyone know if Cozumel used to be a tender port? My daughter and I are having a disagreement about this. We were there years ago and she says there was no pier and we had to tender. I thought sure there was a dock
Cozumel has had three cruise ship docks for years, but even with three docks in operation there are now occasionally ships that have to tender. I have also been in Cozumel when they had piers out of operation due to hurricane damage, and a higher percentage of ships had to tender. I was first in Cozumel in the 1970s, and they had zero (or close to zero) cruise ships calling and the only piers were for the passenger ferry (downtown) and the car ferry (south of town). Not sure if cruise ships started calling before there was a suitable cruise ship dock, but that would have been in the 1980s, if at all.

Thom

Thanks for the help!

I remember tendering into Cozumel (circa 2005/2006?). I think Hurricane Wilma caused a lot of damage to the piers back then. Maybe that's what your daughter is thinking of. Otherwise, like PPs mentioned, the piers are all fully functional now, but occasionally there will be a tender if all the "parking spaces" are taken up at the piers.

I remember travelling to Cozumel in the 1980's and there was a pier close to downtown. When we arrived there on the Pacific Princess in 1996, that is where we docked.

It was early in the 2000's that the International Pier was built, and then Wilma really damaged it.

It is amazing to me to see the number of ships that dock in Cozumel today, but when we do, there is always something to see and do in town. We have our favorite hangout, within a block of the town square.

When we were last there, last month on the Liberty, the International dock was the one we used.

Happy New Year Bob!!:)

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

That's what I thought, here is the link it the original, read the description. Cozumel Pier from Air (Postcard)

Definitely Puerto L. The piers look similiar but you can tell the difference where the pier meets the land and the ferry to the mainland does not use international.

Everything on the Internet is not as it appears.:D

I remember tendering into Cozumel (circa 2005/2006?). I think Hurricane Wilma caused a lot of damage to the piers back then. Maybe that's what your daughter is thinking of. Otherwise, like PPs mentioned, the piers are all fully functional now, but occasionally there will be a tender if all the "parking spaces" are taken up at the piers.

I believe you are correct. Hurricane Wilma pretty much destroyed the pier that Carnival currently uses which is next to the International Pier royal Caribbean uses. While that pier was being rebuilt and there were a large number of ships in Cozumel tenders were used.

Definitely Puerto L. The piers look similiar but you can tell the difference where the pier meets the land and the ferry to the mainland does not use international...
I agree definitely Punto Langosta (not Puerto Langosta) as it is in the town of San Miguel de Cozumel. "Captive" ferries used in conjunction with ship tours do in fact use International Pier, but there are no general population ferries at International Pier.

I agree definitely Punto Langosta (not Puerto Langosta) as it is in the town of San Miguel de Cozumel. "Captive" ferries used in conjunction with ship tours do in fact use International Pier, but there are no general population ferries at International Pier.

On my trips to Cozumel I have only seen NCL ships tied up at the Punta Langosta pier. Also as depicted in the picture it appears Disney calls on that pier too.