New to RCL..what costs and what doesn't? I'm confused!

b8nkr

Can some one direct me to information or help with what costs and what doesn't? We are going on the Navigator in May and I'm just trying to get prepared. Thank you!

Edited by b8nkr

Can some one help and direct me or respond to what costs and what doesn't? We are going on the Navigator in May and I'm just trying to get prepared. Thank you!

Without more specific info, I'll assume you are asking about food.

The food in the Main Dining Room, Windjammer (buffet), Cafe Promenade, and Room Service (except late night) has no extra charge.

Chops, Giovanni's Table, Izumi, and Johnny Rockets have extra charges.

Drinks with no extra charge: Coffee, Hot Tea, Iced Tea, Lemonade, Milk, and Juices at breakfast.

Your cruise includes your room and passage, dining in the Main Dining Room, 'buffet' (called the Windjammer), Room Service, and snacks in a few of the snack bars around the ship. These also include tea, coffee, iced tea, lemonade, and juices in these areas. Some ships have a soft serve ice cream machine by the pool that is included.

All entertainment on board is included (shows, entertainers, etc). Facilities like pools, rock climbing wall, outdoor activities (basketball, mini golf, ping pong, etc), gym are included.

You will have to pay extra for:

- Specialty Dining, ( restaurants that carry an extra charge),

- all alcohol

-various specialty items (typically in specialty shops) like Ben and Jerry's ice cream, handmade cupcakes, Starbucks coffee, and Johnny Rockets Burgers.

-excursions: the ship delivers you to the port, what you do in port is your decision and dollar. You can purchase excursions from the ship or on your own.

Edited by cmason

Thank you. This helps a lot. Does RCL have the self serve ice cream machines like Carnival?

Yes, there is free soft-serve on the pool deck. It's usually open from about noon to 9pm.

In general, all the entertainment is free, as are all of the activities listed in the Cruise Compass each day; if there is a charge for something like a fitness class, or a scrap booking or cupcake class, it will be listed as having and extra charge. Shore Excursions cost extra, as do all soda and alcoholic drinks.

Really, nothing should sneak up and suck money out of your wallet secretly, but as a general rule, if anyone tries to hand you a drink, such as fresh squeezed OJ in the Buffet or a plastic souvenir drink at the pool, ask first, "does this cost extra?" There is regular OJ for free at the buffet for free and you can buy that drink more cheaply without the plastic souvenir cup, if you prefer.

Another tip is that some free things will turn into a sales pitch, such as " free champagne" at the art auction or "free hair analysis" in the spa. If you can't resist the pitch, it may be best to avoid the activity all together.

Lastly, I will share a funny story! The shopping isn't free;) While on Allure, DH and I noticed dozens of foreign non English speaking tourists walking away from a $10 watch sale on the Royal Promenade with 4 -8 boxes of watches in their arms. I was stunned and wondered if these brands were unavailable in their country, or possibly highly taxed. :confused:

A little later we were shopping in the logo shop and I mentioned it, and the cashier told me they had to shut down the sale and put the covers back over all the watches. As it turned out, something got a little lost in translation and the people in that tour group thought they were giving away the watches for FREE:eek:

In general, all the entertainment is free, as are all of the activities listed in the Cruise Compass each day; if there is a charge for something like a fitness class, or a scrap booking or cupcake class, it will be listed as having and extra charge. Shore Excursions cost extra, as do all soda and alcoholic drinks.

Really, nothing should sneak up and suck money out of your wallet secretly, but as a general rule, if anyone tries to hand you a drink, such as fresh squeezed OJ in the Buffet or a plastic souvenir drink at the pool, ask first, "does this cost extra?" There is regular OJ for free at the buffet for free and you can buy that drink more cheaply without the plastic souvenir cup, if you prefer.

Another tip is that some free things will turn into a sales pitch, such as " free champagne" at the art auction or "free hair analysis" in the spa. If you can't resist the pitch, it may be best to avoid the activity all together.

Lastly, I will share a funny story! The shopping isn't free;) While on Allure, DH and I noticed dozens of foreign non English speaking tourists walking away from a $10 watch sale on the Royal Promenade with 4 -8 boxes of watches in their arms. I was stunned and wondered if these brands were unavailable in their country, or possibly highly taxed. :confused:

A little later we were shopping in the logo shop and I mentioned it, and the cashier told me they had to shut down the sale and put the covers back over all the watches. As it turned out, something got a little lost in translation and the people in that tour group thought they were giving away the watches for FREE:eek:

LOL! great story! Thanks for information too!

Thanks very much, be going in for a few shakes do you know the price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you go to Johnny Rockets for just a shake, then do not sit down, but get it to go, and you will save the cover charge. They typically will not charge you the cover charge if you just get a shake to go.

Since you have been on Carnival before - the included stuff & costs extra stuff are the same...

Specialty restaurants on both cost extra, water on both is included...

Sort of:rolleyes: When the waiter asks would you like still or sparkling water, he is selling you a bottle unless you say tap water.