Help in finalizing cruise details-12 day NCL Grand Med

CheleTravelbug

Hello everyone. I am in the planning stage of a Mediterranean cruise. I have it narrowed down to the NCL 12 day cruise on the Spirit. I am looking at September-November 2015. I have been reading through reviews and posts and just had a few questions. Which month would you choose? I’m trying to weigh cost, weather and the chance of having rough seas. Is it best to go from Barcelona to Venice or Venice to Barcelona. I would like to spend a few extra days in Barcelona. Also on this type of port heavy cruise is a balcony worth the extra money? I have only been on one other cruise (Carnival Liberty out of Miami) and we had a balcony and loved it. We had coffee each morning and loved watching as we came in to each port. There is quite a difference in price from OV to balcony and the excursions are expensive as well (even if DIY). Just trying to determine the best way to spend our time and money. Thanks for your thoughts.

hi We completed this cruise on Spirit in early October 2012 sailing from Venice to Barcelona. Without doubt a spectacular itinerary on a lovely ship. It is port heavy but there are several sea days to relax. The weather was perfect from start to finish and the seas calm. We have also cruised the Mediterranean in November and December with similar conditions. Whether you start from Venice or Barcelona do allow several nights before or after your cruise in these cities.

We sailed from Venice at 1 in the morning and it is a sight you can never forget. The city was lit up and silent as we cruised down the canal to the open sea, spectacular. If you would like further information on what we did at each port let me know, and also hotel recommendations.

A balcony stateroom is a must in my opinion. The sights are amazing as you arrive and leave ports such as Istanbul, Athens, Naples and sailing through the Greek islands, the Dardanelles and the Straits of Messina. These are unforgettable sights and better appreciated from your balcony.

We really do like Spirit, what a friendly ship with all the facilities you need for this type of cruise.

John

We decided on Barcelona to Venice. We are going in June. Honestly I can't remember why we chose to leave from Barcelona but we did months of research before deciding.

We will be spending a whole month in Europe. Let me know if you have any other questions.

We did this cruise in April 2013, Barcelona to Venice, and agree, you have to do a balcony, its really worth it. I remember coming into Istanbul, and leaving, is quite a site to see.

We booked a balcony, and watched the prices over time, and called when the prices dropped, to reprice the cruise. We also did a guarantee, and ended up with a BA category cabin. I do not think there is a bad balcony cabin on the Spirit.

It is very port intensive, just 2 sea days, so do your home work early, for what you want to see.

Its a great ship also, could enjoy doing it again.:)

We decided to do the Barcelona to Venice route. The main reason we decided on the Barcelona to Venice route was because we could get a direct flight from Miami to Barcelona. Were going in late April before all the crowds arrive. We did a Med cruise in January a few years ago and had wonderful weather and calm seas.

Edited by Bocadude85

We've cruised the Med in September as well as last April. We will be on again this November - so looking forward to it! A balcony is a must as others have said. You can't beat sitting out and watching the ports come to view. Weather was perfect this past April but we did encounter rough seas on the September cruise. Not sure if that's unusual or not for September.

When you do finally book, go to your roll call and arrange port tours with the other travellers on your cruise. It's so much cheaper than the ship packages and you can usually customize them to what you all agree are the "must see" locations in each port. On our very first cruise we booked all but one tour through the ship and spent so much - our second cruise we were much smarter and booked with other passengers through the roll call and the price difference ranged between $50 and $150 dollars per person. We found that we could get an 8 - 10 passenger van for half of what the ship's tour cost and they put us in the large 60 person coach bus. We spent so much time waiting for everyone to board so we could move on to the next stop, it was such a waste. The ship tours also stop at places with the idea that you are going to see some really neat local artisans - it's just a rouse to get you to buy stuff that you aren't really interested in. You waste so much time doing silly things when you could be spending more time touring the places you want to see. JMHO :p I will never book another ship tour. You meet so many good friends when you arrange your own with the other CC'ers.

No matter which you choose, I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip - as I said, I can't wait to go back! Oh ya, you will need extra days on each end I'm sure - I've never been to Venice but Barcelona is a treasure - there is way too much to see and never enough time to see it :D

I would suggest sailing from Barcelona as you will have an overnight on the ship in Venice. Also, if sailing from Barcelona, book a starboard balcony as you will have St. Mar's square on your side as you enter Venice during the late morning,early afternoon. If sailing from Venice, book port side for same reason. Looks like a nice itinerary. Enjoy. Ken...PS, I would sail as early as possible for best chance of good weather.

Hi Guys.

Bob and Chris from AUSTRALIA.

We have booked the 14 night ( 1 off cruise ) on the SPIRIT departing Barcelona on the 6th July, 2015.

Went to the Eastern Med in 2012 and fell in love with the Med on the Jade. We have also booked a BA stateroom ( Balcony ) Deck 10. Received an upgrade from Deck 9 at time of booking.

I don't believe you can go wrong which ever cruise you book on the Spirit. However, I wouldn't travel the Med unless I had a balcony, to much to see.

Cheers Bob & Chris.:p:p:p

Although we haven't done this itinerary we have done the Med and the Spirit (at different times this year).

November weather isn't going to be great, September is often (that's often when we holiday in the Med) is nice - sunny and early twenties. The later you get the more likely to get rain and the temperatures will drop to mid teens. This November we had some nice sunny days, quite warm one day (late teens) but mostly jacket and trouser weather.

Always love a balcony, we saw dolphins leaving Barcelona in May, though think they must have moved to warmer sea by November :) Even though it might not be hot enough to sunbathe naked on your balcony, it is warm enough to read and drink coffee and relax for a bit before dinner.

Whatever you do you will love it, it's a fantastic ship! :D

Hello everyone. I am in the planning stage of a Mediterranean cruise. I have it narrowed down to the NCL 12 day cruise on the Spirit. I am looking at September-November 2015. I have been reading through reviews and posts and just had a few questions. Which month would you choose? I’m trying to weigh cost, weather and the chance of having rough seas. Is it best to go from Barcelona to Venice or Venice to Barcelona. I would like to spend a few extra days in Barcelona. Also on this type of port heavy cruise is a balcony worth the extra money? I have only been on one other cruise (Carnival Liberty out of Miami) and we had a balcony and loved it. We had coffee each morning and loved watching as we came in to each port. There is quite a difference in price from OV to balcony and the excursions are expensive as well (even if DIY). Just trying to determine the best way to spend our time and money. Thanks for your thoughts.

September is, without a doubt, the best and the 2nd half is generally a little more temperate with beautiful sunny skies. Avoid late October and November, if possible.

Either direction is perfect, but you get a full day and night in V if you sail from B.

I personally would not waste money on a balcony that will be used sparingly on such a port intensive cruise. Some say "you see ports coming into view" or "the ports blend into the distance as you sail away" etc. Think about it, that cannot be the case from both sides of the ship! The whole ship is your balcony!;) Save your cash for the port trips, and I do recommend DIY rather than ship tours. Europe is so easy to explore on your own.

We did this specific trip a couple of years ago from B to V, and enjoyed the Spirit....a very nice ship.