Steak!

LuvPirate

So I love my steak, especially picking out my own from the butcher, seasoning, and grilling it myself very few places come close.

I see most ships have a steakhouse and all I really see people say is its $30-35 usually. Not much info. I know MDR is the primary thing to do and you can get steak there I believe along with buffet and other free options do people just never go to the steak restaurants?

Just wondering what the quality level is. Chili's < Outback < Longhorn < Ruth Chris < Bobby Flay (ha I wish). For $35 not expecting the world. But not sure how that price works either. Is that for a small sirloin, a filet, a porterhouse? Sides? Do you get the same quality and piece of meat if you ask for it in the MDR?

Thanks

Edited by LuvPirate

we have eaten in the bistro on NCL a couple times, nice filet, lobster tail were our choices, both really good and the fois gras was neato!

on carnival, the liberty specifically we had a choice of a 9 oz filet, my wife got that it was the thickest filet Id ever seen

I got the real deal lamb chops, just like the ones they used to serve all the time in the MDR in the eighties!

and my son got a huge about 18 oz or so new York strip, I think his was tremendous, they did have an even larger porterhouse on the menu but were OUT on that cruise, of course there were a couple other choices of yardbird and Im pretty sure a fish or lobster tail on the menu

we just got back from a carnival crusie where we did the chefs table, it was 150 beans for two, long evening and enough food to make you sick but no large portions of anything, just course after course, like being on a cooking show!

when we were on princess and celebrity their main dining rooms were really great, never felt any need to wander off of the reservation on those lines

It can help if we know the cruise line that you're travelling.

You may assume that the steak in the main dining room will be.......safe for humans to eat.

The quality and experience in a specialty venue will be .... better.

We visit the steakhouse on all cruises we take (Carnival and RC so far) and they are way superior to MDR steak. You can also do surf and turf. Price includes starter, soup/salad, main and sides, and dessert. Also drink (water or tea, wine or soda will be extra) and bread are included. It's too much to eat and WELL worth the minimal charge!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would say it's somewhere over "Longhorn or Outback", but not quite "Ruth Chris"...(although our last trip to Ruth Chris was less than memorable!)....

The fee you pay to eat there includes the tip...so all in all, it's a decent deal. It will be better than what you get in the MDR.

I would say it's somewhere over "Longhorn or Outback", but not quite "Ruth Chris"...(although our last trip to Ruth Chris was less than memorable!)....

Agreed, though I don't eat the steak there are many other items on the menu. Remember you are paying for the entire experience.

No idea what cruise you are taking but of ones we've been on I'd say on land they'd be worth:

Carnival $45

Celebrity $65 or about $75 for QSine

RC $50

Windstar(which may have been included in the cruise price?) $50

Princess $50

The most we ever paid extra for Steakhouse or other specialty dining was maybe $50. They were all worth it.

For the most part we remember our Steakhouse meals fondly, From preparing real caesar salad table-side to actually torching Baked Alaska...Wiping crumbs before dessert and bringing a warm cloth for our hands. On one Steakhouse visit I took photos of the butter-the Butter! The attention to detail in the Steakhouse is impeccable. Really can't tell you much about eating in any of the MDRs.

Edited by Lerin

Sounds like its pretty good on most lines so I will definitely have to do at least one night to check it out. Saw Allure has a Chops, that got my mouth watering.

Chops on the Oasis was extremely disappointing. I was thankful we were dining on a certificate from our TA and not our own money. We had porterhouses, they got the temp wrong on my husbands steak (they brought out both steaks MR when he had ordered his M) and mine was sinewy, I could barely cut it with a knife. I love a good steak, we get them from the butcher and make them at home or we go to somewhere like Smith and Wolensky when dining out.

Thanks for all the great details. My friends normally do Carnival so my first cruise will likely be with them. I definitely want to do a trip on Oasis or Allure also and plan to get in both this year.

I do hate when they take med-rare to far. It use to be my favorite and only way to order and to often its hard to cut and cold. There needs to be a in between med-rare and medium lol. Guess there aren't any Brazilian churrascaria's on any lines? That could get dangerous for me... one thin mint!

HAL

Recently changed the brand of steaks that they serve in the Pinnacle Grill. They also have raised the Pinnacle Grill price to $29 per person. On HAL in the Pinnacle Grill you can only order one entrée and as many salads, soups, sides and desserts as you want. There is an extra charge if you order another entrée.

The quality of the beef served in the Pinnacle is way better than what is served in the main dining room -- or at least it was.

Since the change to a different brand I haven't had a chance to try the new menu.

ncl has added the Brazilian thing to their newest ship or two, Im not sure if they have retrofitted them to any of their others as yet!

Id check carefully if looking at them. And on NCL they offer precruise reservations so, depending on the dining venue you'd want to book weeks or months in advance the dining options. NCL's freestyle deal offers all kinds of dining options on top of the normal dining room and buffets and the prices are all over the map depending on the venue.

they have Asian\fusion, Japanese steakhouse, the bistro, maybe a kc type steakhouse, the Brazilian thing, Italian, and more!

their Japanese thing is limited to about 20-24 per sitting though! the bigger the ship the more different restaurants they have generally speaking....

I think steak in main dinning room is more or less like chili's, specialty resturants more like Ruth Chris is general, specialty resturants are worth the extra money I think, we always eat there at least a couple of nights in a week.

We have sailed on Carnival, and my DH LOVES Steak. We did the steak house, and it was possible a top 5 meal anywhere on land or on the sea. It was well worth the $35. For that price, you get all the courses. and the entrees are not small. By the time we got to dessert, we were stuffed. DH got cheesecake, and it was a huge piece. He couldn't eat it all. If you go, I hope your experience is as good as ours was.

The MDR steaks are on line with Longhorn or Outback. They are fine. In the MDR, DH usually orders his steak less done on the ships because they tend to be a little over cooked. So if you normally like a steak medium, then ask for med. rare. We did not find this necessary in the steak house.

I would say it's somewhere over "Longhorn or Outback", but not quite "Ruth Chris.

I agree.

If you want a world class steak dinner, go to a steakhouse on land. The ones on the ship do have good "sides" though, just like at the steakhouses.

Sounds like its pretty good on most lines so I will definitely have to do at least one night to check it out. Saw Allure has a Chops, that got my mouth watering.

Did not find one good steak on RCL Oasis

The Grille on Princess is Amazing! A REAL STEAKHOUSE! Check it out on the Princess website and on the Cruise Critic Princess boards. Ate at the Grill 4 out of 7 days.

Cagney's Steakhouse on NCL ships has good steak selections

We usually do try the steakhouse on a cruise and have found the fare to be better than the MDR, but if I'm willing to pay the price at the grocery not better. Guess this is why I prefer to pick and cook my own. I might add that my father was a butcher as was his uncle and grandfather.

On RCI, one of the better "free" steaks is the Fillet of Beef in the MDR, usually served the first formal night. Also, the evening buffet (Windjammer) has decent cooked-to-order "minute" steaks with a few sauce choices that were actually very good.

Edited by Jimnbigd