Which Airport, Miami or Ft Lauderdale?

Really? Take THREE flights to get there instead of one or two? I'm scratching my head trying to figure how that's going to be easier...
There was no one flight option. I thought Thoie explained why he thought 3 were better than 2 pretty well, sorry you couldn't follow it. Similarly I can use public transportation from BWI Airport to my house in VA with a non-stop bus to Washington Metro at Greenbelt, and then change once between the Green Line to the Blue line at Metro Center (with two escalator rides and LOTS of people and probably getting no seat on the Blue Line) OR change from Green to Yellow (step onto the platform, wait for next train which is beginning of line for Yellow, lots of seats) ride Yellow through downtown, change from Yellow to Blue in Alexandria (again step onto the platform, wait for the next train, lots of empty seats as it is near the end of the line). FAR EASIER to change twice than once in the case I just explained.

Only caveat I would say is that if you do decide to use Miami is to avoid the cruise line transfer from Fort Lauderdale to Miami. We chose Miami for the cheaper fare last year, but after waiting over two hours on the bus before the drive would depart the port I swore never again. I don't think the passengers who were traveling internationally could have made their flights as they had less than an hour to check in and get to their flight. Repeated pleas to the driver made no difference.

Ken

We were on the Xmas and New Year cruises on Independence of the Seas and flew from LHR - Chicago - FLL and returned FLL -Dallas- LHR. All with American Airlines. Seems a roundabout way but when we booked it was the cheapest. We had no problems and all we had to do was identify our luggage at Chicago and on the way back we never saw it until LHR. Certainly beat the queues at MIA.

Also we stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th Street, we thought the complimentary buffet breakfast adequate and also enjoyed the free wifi, Outback steak house almost next door and shopping mall a couple of mins walk away with Publix, wine store and several eating places amongst others. We took a taxi from hotel to port for $14 as opposed to $12 each with a shuttle, there was a free shuttle from the airport but we took a taxi, it was also $14.

Hope this helps.

husband and I cruising on Oasis early May. We have booked Virgin Atlantic flights from Glasgow to Orlando International. We intend hiring a car and staying overnight in Orlando then travel down early in the morning since we will be up early due to jet lag. Journey should be about 3 hours we will return car and hire again after the cruise and return to Orlando to finish our holiday. We have flown into both Miami and Fort Lauderdale in the past but cannot remember much about them. How would you feel about hiring a car ?

husband and I cruising on Oasis early May. We have booked Virgin Atlantic flights from Glasgow to Orlando International. We intend hiring a car and staying overnight in Orlando then travel down early in the morning since we will be up early due to jet lag. Journey should be about 3 hours we will return car and hire again after the cruise and return to Orlando to finish our holiday. We have flown into both Miami and Fort Lauderdale in the past but cannot remember much about them. How would you feel about hiring a car ?
Note that most (not all) car rental companies service Port Everglades with free shuttles from a location near the port, and not from the airport location, so check what location you are using in Fort Lauderdale. Usually the price is the same for rentals to Port Everglades as it would be to FLL airport. I would say that it is closer to 4 hours rather than 3 hours from Orlando to Port Everglades (but I actually drive near the speed limit:cool:; I'm sure some make it in 3 hours). Given your jet lead (is that the opposite of jet lag?) you could easily be on the road by 7am and at Port Everglades by 11am (which is about the time that boarding usually starts) and be having lunch on-board before noon.

enjoy

Thom

I've just spent the last couple of months figuring out flight options from LON to MIA or FLL for a group of 20 of us travelling on Allure in October.

There are 5 direct LHR to MIA flights a day (2 x AA, 2 x BA, 1 x VS), and there are also options to connect via either CDG/LIS/FRA/ZRH/MAD (as well as the myriad of US based connections) if you really wanted to get to Miami. From prior experience I hate MIA with a passion. Queues for immigration are horrendous - 1.5hr+ queues are the norm.

Flying into FLL there is only the single Norwegian flight 3 times a week from LGW as a direct flight. The only other option is as others have pointed out, connect via another US airport. You'd likely be looking at flights with either Delta, United or US Airways (shortly to be merged into AA) or Air Canada. If you want to fly direct I would strongly suggest ensuring that you're booking a through ticket - you are ticketed from start to end as a single booking. This ensures that the airline has much more responsibility to get you to your end destination than if you'd booked separate tickets yourself.

For my group we've chosen to do LHR - FLL via YUL (Montreal) on the outbound and via YYZ (Toronto) on the return. All flights are with Air Canada. For us this worked out as the most cost effective option, and our preferred routing option. We're able to clear US immigration at Montreal, so that when we land in FLL we're classed as domestic passengers. Nice and simple!

Do remember that if you're trying to avoid MIA for the immigration nightmare the hub airports that other carriers will route you through can be just as bad. Do check what people think of international immigration before accepting a particular routing!

Personally I found the flight costs for both MIA direct flights and FLL indirect flights to be roughly comparable. Sometimes one would work out cheaper than another mainly based on airline sales and special dates (bank holidays, special holidays etc).

The Norwegian flights are much cheaper, but they're also a low cost carrier - although I've heard good reports of their long haul service if it fits with your schedule!

From prior experience I hate MIA with a passion. Queues for immigration are horrendous - 1.5hr+ queues are the norm.

This was a large part of why I'd suggested the 3 flight option. With Manchester -Dublin being basically a bus (flights can generally be found for €30-€60), the joy of clearing US immigration/customs before you go is fantastic.

Last April British passengers on my cruise had horror stories of 4-5 hour queues in MIA after landing. I'd have gone demented at that stage after a transatlantic flight. My own experiences in other US airports hasn't been great either, don't think I've ever got through in less than a hour/an hour and a half, but I may just have been unlucky.

This was a large part of why I'd suggested the 3 flight option. With Manchester -Dublin being basically a bus (flights can generally be found for €30-€60), the joy of clearing US immigration/customs before you go is fantastic.

Last April British passengers on my cruise had horror stories of 4-5 hour queues in MIA after landing. I'd have gone demented at that stage after a transatlantic flight. My own experiences in other US airports hasn't been great either, don't think I've ever got through in less than a hour/an hour and a half, but I may just have been unlucky.

Yup the queues at MIA last year were horrific at times! One of the major reasons for me trying to ensure that we were flying into FLL, and where possible doing pre-clearance outside of the US.

Unfortunately US immigration in general is just slow. Certainly agree that if you can do US border pre-clearance somewhere like Dublin you should try and do it if the price/schedule works at all. Makes it much simpler at the other end!

Note that most (not all) car rental companies service Port Everglades with free shuttles from a location near the port, and not from the airport location, so check what location you are using in Fort Lauderdale. Usually the price is the same for rentals to Port Everglades as it would be to FLL airport. I would say that it is closer to 4 hours rather than 3 hours from Orlando to Port Everglades (but I actually drive near the speed limit:cool:; I'm sure some make it in 3 hours). Given your jet lead (is that the opposite of jet lag?) you could easily be on the road by 7am and at Port Everglades by 11am (which is about the time that boarding usually starts) and be having lunch on-board before noon.

enjoy

Thom

have done the journey before but stayed overnight in Fort Lauderdale, left the car at Hertz the night before and got a taxi to the port. I am almost sure that there is a Dollar car rental company just outside the port and they have a shuttle bus to take you there. will need to investigate soon.

have done the journey before but stayed overnight in Fort Lauderdale, left the car at Hertz the night before and got a taxi to the port. I am almost sure that there is a Dollar car rental company just outside the port and they have a shuttle bus to take you there. will need to investigate soon.
Dollar [in with Thrifty] is at 2400 Miami Road, corner of Spangler Ave, immediately by a gate into Port Everglades. Just make sure your reservation terminates at that location and not the Airport. I cruise out of Port Everglades in six days.

Thom

• 8 months later...

If you need transportation between FLL and MIA, I highly recommend Jiffy Jeff. We just used his services last month. His vans are very clean, and he values communication. We paid $15 per person each way. I can't say enough positive things about his company.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Has anyone used the Metro Rail lately? We'd be going from Miami airport to FLL. The cost looks fantastic but not sure on the safety & ease of using it??

I've had coworkers use it a lot when flying standby to get between FLL, MIA and PBI. They all like it a lot. My last Oasis cruise I flew into MIA, was planning on taking the train, but then got a rental car for like $25 so went that way.

Edited by OSUZorba

They are both close enough that I would let price rule the decision. However if you do end up flying in to Miami, unless you want to spend time in Miami or at South Beach, etc. I would get up to Ft. Lauderdale to spend the night before there. That way you can have a leisurley morning and a quick trip to the port and aren't trying to get out of Miami. Always less stress when it is the night before.

We've done the journey a few times and I can understand why you want to fly from 'up north' rather than going down to London.

US Airways fly from Manchester via either Charlotte or PHL and then on to FLL, much easier than travelling all the way south before you've even started your vacation. MIA is more of a pain than FLL. We tend to transfer in the States as we prefer flying from closer to home and also returning to an airport nearer home. Nothing worse than having to transfer in London on the way home when you've been flying for 7 hours! We avoid Gatwick at all costs as it's more of hassle to get to from the north (only our opinion ;)).

Additionally, you can fly from Birmingham with United and change in Newark. There are also other options to change in Washington, Atlanta etc. with other airlines. If you book with Air Canada, check that your flights are not on their Rouge service (low cost option that appear to have not so good reviews).

FLL airport is very close to the port and some hotels provide free shuttles from the airport. We're sailing again from FLL at Easter, but have decided to fly into MCO and spend a few days in the parks first (have done this previously, too :)). We'll hire a car, drive down to FLL (3ish hours), stay in a local hotel, cruise and then return from West Palm Beach changing at Newark (I can't begin to tell you how much cheaper this was than flying from FLL).

Check out this link (input all the options of departure airports and see which airlines and flights suit you best ;)). Hope this helps ;).

http://matrix.itasoftware.com

Edited by villauk

I've had coworkers use it a lot when flying standby to get between FLL, MIA and PBI. They all like it a lot. My last Oasis cruise I flew into MIA, was planning on taking the train, but then got a rental car for like $25 so went that way.

Thanks! I'll have to check int renting a car also.. $ 25.00 seems like a very good deal.

Virgin Atlantic MAN to MCO (Orlando), (check out Expedia ... sometimes cheaper than booking direct with Virgin), rental car to overnight hotel, early start the next day (well, you will be up early anyway with the time difference!), drive to airport to drop off the car, board free shuttle bus to the port. Drive takes around four hours with a couple of comfort stops. Simples. We did this last February but stayed a couple of nights at Disney first. All worked out just great.

Thanks! I'll have to check int renting a car also.. $ 25.00 seems like a very good deal.

FYI, going from MIA to FLL, I picked up at the airport and dropped at the location near the port and took the shuttle. From FLL to MIA, it was much more expensive to pick up by the port, so I took a taxi to the airport ($15) and picked up the rental there.

Nice thing about renting the car on the way back is we could go hang out on South Beach and have somewhere to store all of our stuff.

Not true. Noweigan fly direct from Gatwick London England to FLL.

Thank you. I was just about to tell them. How many people were just WRONG here.

Norweigan flies direct and pretty cheaply I might add from Gatwick. No frills of course. But right into FLL. FLL is quite a busy international airport, not near MIA, but pretty busy. West Palm is not very big, and I would avoid it, because it is not all that close.