Be careful with flight times; Port Everglades disembark running 2 hours behind

PescadoAmarillo

Arrived in Port Everglades in October on the Island. We were the only ship in port that day. We had walk off but in about the middle of the disembarking pax. We finally made it through ICE and on the street at 10:30! There were a lot of pax behind us to get off. We were told it was because of sequestration. Luckily they kept us on the ship and let only a few go at a time so we did not have to stand in a horibly long line. Thank you Princess.

We were on another cruise line arriving back into Galveston last month. We had been warned that due to sequestration there might be a delay. There was. We were in the last walk off group supposed to leave the ship at 8:30. We were off and through ICE at almost 10:00. They had us all line up off the ship and let us stand in line unlike what Princess had done. Bummer.

Interesting. DW got Pre-check without even asking for it. But she does fly about once a week for biz during her high travel season. Last time we flew on vacation, she booked the tix and *I* was cleared for Pre-check, probably because the tix were purchased in her name.

In order to boost public awareness of the program (and shift more people out of long "regular" lines and into underused Pre-Check lines), the TSA has begun "randomly" approving people into the Pre-Check lines without actually being part of the program. Because your wife was already approved and you were flying on the same itinerary, they probably "randomly" moved you over. On my most recent flight in mid-December, I was in the Pre-Check lane (which was all the way to the right) and the people in the "regular" lane right next to me were being ushered over to the Pre-Check lane at a rate of around 50%. Way too small a data sample to be meaningful, but if you want to see if you can get a free ride into the Pre-Check lane, then use the regular lane that is closest to it. Makes sense that they would move people over one lane and not have them cross 8 lanes to get to the Pre-Check. But beware!! If you get to use the Pre-Check lane, act like you know what you are doing and move quickly. The people in that line didn't seem to have too much patience for the "noobies" who didn't know what to do with their toiletries, their computers, their shoes, their jackets, etc. ;)

Edited by JimmyVWine

Thanks for the heads up, Jeannie.

We were only able to get a 3:30 flight in March when we disembark the Royal so that's not looking so bad right now.

We may just do the EZcheck and hide out near one of the pools until they start looking for us. ;)

In order to boost public awareness of the program (and shift more people out of long "regular" lines and into underused Pre-Check lines), the TSA has begun "randomly" approving people into the Pre-Check lines without actually being part of the program. Because your wife was already approved and you were flying on the same itinerary, they probably "randomly" moved you over. On my most recent flight in mid-December, I was in the Pre-Check lane (which was all the way to the right) and the people in the "regular" lane right next to me were being ushered over to the Pre-Check lane at a rate of around 50%. Way too small a data sample to be meaningful, but if you want to see if you can get a free ride into the Pre-Check lane, then use the regular lane that is closest to it. Makes sense that they would move people over one lane and not have them cross 8 lanes to get to the Pre-Check. But beware!! If you get to use the Pre-Check lane, act like you know what you are doing and move quickly. The people in that line didn't seem to have too much patience for the "noobies" who didn't know what to do with their toiletries, their computers, their shoes, their jackets, etc. ;)

We recently flew to California and were told to go to the pre-check line.

We never signed up for anything but thought it might be because we always use our passports for ID.

Do you (or anyone else) know if we are now permanently pre- approved or do we need to do something to get this status?

(And yes, on the way home, the idiot woman in front of me INSISTED on removing her shoes,jacket and belt, even when the TSA kept saying "You don't need to do that!" ) :(

We recently flew to California and were told to go to the pre-check line.

We never signed up for anything but thought it might be because we always use our passports for ID.

Do you (or anyone else) know if we are now permanently pre- approved or do we need to do something to get this status?

(And yes, on the way home, the idiot woman in front of me INSISTED on removing her shoes,jacket and belt, even when the TSA kept saying "You don't need to do that!" ) :(

You are not. In order for your boarding pass to print out with the Pre-Check clearance on it, you have to have a TSA number stored in your frequent flier profile or in some other way attached to your booking. If you don't have such a number, your boading pass will never say "Pre-Check" and you won't be able to access that line unless requested to do so by a TSA agent.

You are not. In order for your boarding pass to print out with the Pre-Check clearance on it, you have to have a TSA number stored in your frequent flier profile or in some other way attached to your booking. If you don't have such a number, your boading pass will never say "Pre-Check" and you won't be able to access that line unless requested to do so by a TSA agent.

I also had a Pre Check on my boarding pass just recently, not sure how it got there. Never signed up and the funny thing is my wife did not did not get it and I had it both directions.

I had asked the TSA agent how I received this status they said I had signed up for it, I also travel with my passport domestically and my wife refuses, but I agree with you that I need to sign up but did not.

The very same thing happened to us the last time we flew to LAX. I got the pre check on my boarding pass and hubby did not. Don't know why that was. Had to tease him because he had a top secret clearance when he worked!! Doesn't mean much now!!!

The TSA agent checking the boarding passes said "You have qualified for pre-check" so I don't think it was random.

(They said the same thing both going to and coming home from California)

Where do I look for it in my ff profile?

Edited by chamima

The TSA agent checking the boarding passes said "You have qualified for pre-check" so I don't think it was random.

(They said the same thing both going to and coming home from California)

Where do I look for it in my ff profile?

That's why I put "random" in quotes in my earlier post. It isn't really random, but they aren't saying who is getting the offer and who isn't.

Unless you have gone through the application process there won't be anything in your FF account to show that you are approved. In my FF Profiles, there is a place where you can add your Global Entry number which also signifies that you are Pre-Check approved. Since I got my Pre-Check status by also getting the Global Entry approval through customs, I am not sure how one signifies Pre-Check approval as a stand-alone measure. I think what is happening is that the TSA is working with the airlines to get the names of passengers who they think should be approved and a lot of that is based on your FF status. I know that if you are a Gold or Platinum flyer on American, you definitely qualify. But you are still supposed to file the paperwork with the TSA and I think that the airline can link you to whatever application is required. Best thing to do would be to call the airline that you flew when you got pre-approved and ask them how to make this status stick.

In order for your boarding pass to print out with the Pre-Check clearance on it, you have to have a TSA number stored in your frequent flier profile or in some other way attached to your booking. If you don't have such a number, your boading pass will never say "Pre-Check" and you won't be able to access that line unless requested to do so by a TSA agent.

That is supposedly the way it works.

But recently Pre-Check has been added to some boarding passes by different airlines to members of their frequent flyers programs who have never applied for the government programs that qualify for this status.

I have no knowledge how these "random" Pre-Check assignments are determined by the computers involved.

This has no relationship to what ID is shown at the airport as the Pre-Check status will appear on boarding passes printed at home.

I suspect the TSA is giving people a taste of what it is like not to be treated as a criminal when going through securitry at the airport in hopes people will now pay to sign up for the program.

That is supposedly the way it works.

But recently Pre-Check has been added to some boarding passes by different airlines to members of their frequent flyers programs who have never applied for the government programs that qualify for this status.

I have no knowledge how these "random" Pre-Check assignments are determined by the computers involved.

This has no relationship to what ID is shown at the airport as the Pre-Check status will appear on boarding passes printed at home.

I suspect the TSA is giving people a taste of what it is like not to be treated as a criminal when going through securitry at the airport in hopes people will now pay to sign up for the program.

I'm glad I was able to experiance the Pre check in is was nice to keep my jacket on, belt in place, change in my pocket and no one could see the holes in my socks(LOL)

Thanks all for the info

This is not quite true. My husband and I opted into pre-check via our Delta FF account without making an official application for pre-check. It does get printed on our boarding pass but we have no number, at least not that I am aware of. We haven't been through an interview and there is no guarantee we will get it every time. It is at TSA's discretion and they decide ahead of time. I am grateful for what I can get. It was a much easier/quicker screening in FLL the day after Thanksgiving.

This is not quite true. My husband and I opted into pre-check via our Delta FF account without making an official application for pre-check. It does get printed on our boarding pass but we have no number, at least not that I am aware of.

I indicated that if you qualify and get approved through your airline, then you get the Pre-Check privilege. Airlines make their own decisions as to who does and does not get this. It is not really random and is based on FF status and flight history. And that is what happened to you. But note that this will only work for that one airline. In order to be approved for Pre-Check across the board, you either need to have each airline approve you separately, of go through the application process, get a number and enter it on all of your accounts. As a Platinum flyer on American, I could get Pre-Check qualified, but that would not carry over to Delta or Southwest. But buy going through the Global Entry program, I can qualify for every airline and get the necessary clearance to skip customs lines, which is the real benefit, and where this all got started.

Edit to add: Thanks for reminding me. Southwest just started (or is about to start using) Pre-Check and I haven't updated my profile. I just did. Under "Contact Information" in your Account Preferences, there is a space to type in your "Known Traveler #" That is what it is called in the profile.

Edited by JimmyVWine