Avoid Solo Cruiser Premium?

Jenorama

My husband and I are thinking of booking the Sun for Alaska in 2015 and want to invite my dad, but we would all like our own rooms. My dad would in effect be a solo traveler, but there would be 3 of us on the reservation. Would Dad still have to pay the solo premium?

Thanks!

Jen

If he gets his own cabin, he will pay the same price as two people would in the cabin. So if you are getting the same type of cabin, he will pay the same price you are paying for you and spouse, minus the taxes for the second person.

We know it is like a penalty for solo travelers, but it's a business, and if they can have 2 people in the cabin paying, they feel they will charge the price for 2 people even if it's one person. Very familiar with this as we have one friend who gets their own cabin on some of our cruises and they pay almost what we did. They don't like it of course, who would, but it's the price of cruising.

Edited by mizlorinj

Thanks for your response, Lori. That's about what I figured. It'll be all good--we're planning an aft mini for me and the hubs and Dad will probably do an inside or an ocean view as he hasn't cruised before and he can hang out on our balcony. :D Looking at the prices, they aren't too horrible and he reads a lot of travel mags and is aware of the single premium, so he's not too fussed about it. We've only been on two cruises so far and I didn't know if I was missing a trick. :D

Jen

If you can go off peak, and want to risk it, booking say 2-3 weeks before departure, the solo supplement reduces considerably.....ie they would rather one person in a cabin than none. If was 10% when I went on the Spirit last month.

My husband and I are thinking of booking the Sun for Alaska in 2015 and want to invite my dad, but we would all like our own rooms. My dad would in effect be a solo traveler, but there would be 3 of us on the reservation. Would Dad still have to pay the solo premium?

Others have already answered to your question but to clarify further, with NCL there is exactly one cabin in each reservation. So if you all were on the same reservation, you'd be sleeping in the same cabin. If two cabins, then two reservations and hence single supplement for the dad travelling "solo".

Ah, thanks very much, Demonyte. :D Valleyvillage, I've been reading about the minis on the Sun and I'm pretty excited about them. Question regarding AK itinerary--will going up to Glacier Bay enable us to see the Northern Lights?

Jen

If he gets his own cabin, he will pay the same price as two people would in the cabin. So if you are getting the same type of cabin, he will pay the same price you are paying for you and spouse, minus the taxes for the second person.

We know it is like a penalty for solo travelers, but it's a business, and if they can have 2 people in the cabin paying, they feel they will charge the price for 2 people even if it's one person. Very familiar with this as we have one friend who gets their own cabin on some of our cruises and they pay almost what we did. They don't like it of course, who would, but it's the price of cruising.

This question has come up with us as well.A solo travelers will pay the same price as two minus the taxes for the second person, but what about the DSC will that be for two or one.

Edited by DDMau

Or if you wanted to compare prices between the cost of the solo supplement maybe you could do one of the suites for all 3 of you SE, SF, SG?

We have one booked on the Sun for 2015.

I know he would have to sleep on the pull out couch but cost wise it might be about the same and you would have a little more privacy than the curtain in the mini suite...

Just a thought...

Look at the price of a mini plus a second cabin with the solo premium. Then price an aft penthouse. Bedroom is separated with a door. Sofa bed in living room and queen in bedroom. Two entrances to bathroom. Killer balcony. Suite perks. If you can swing the difference you would LOVE it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I have gone solo a few times - please check in with Ncl. -- there is a new policy for solo cruisers - this is due to the newer ships offering a solo cabins -- and has now been offered to there older ships -

I would like to pass along more info to you - I forgot how we can contact each other from this site

I have gone solo a few times - please check in with Ncl. -- there is a new policy for solo cruisers - this is due to the newer ships offering a solo cabins -- and has now been offered to there older ships -

I would like to pass along more info to you - I forgot how we can contact each other from this site

If you share it here (vs private), then others can gain information as well.

On a related note, I would price out the 2BR suite as well. Dad then gets total privacy but you all share an awesome cabin.