Sailing to New Englan/Canada Rough Waters?

We sailed on the Jewel last year in September on the Canada/NE itinerary. It was in the low 80's every day! I had been looking forward to cool, crisp fall weather but it was pretty warm. Probably due to all the hurricanes going on down in Florida, pushing the warm air currents north.

We never encountered any rough waters though.

At least you can have better chance of calm waters than in Caribbeans at this time of the year. I don't think it will be cold in August either.

Good luck! :) Hope you'll like NE.

Often a little bumpy outside the St. Lawrence rounding Nova Scotia, where different currents collide, but usually not "rough" enough to cause undue concern, unless of course there is a storm out of Florida dying out in the region.

We've sailed the Carribean and to Alaska, our next cruise is to NewEngland and Canada and we are worried that the seas will be much rougher than what we've experienced on previous cruises. Any comments/suggestions?

I'll be back on 8/7. Will let you know.

We have sailed to Canada out of Boston, NY and NJ and each time we have been fortunate to have extremely calm seas. However, you are in the North Atlantic and depending on weather conditions, the seas can be rough. Last October we sailed to the Caribbean out of Boston and encountered no rough seas until we were in the Caribbean. On trips to Bermuda from Boston and NY we have encountered rough seas either coming or going, but usually the ships have handled them well.

We went on our first cruise last August on a 4-day to Halifax with Carnival. I get very seasick and this trip was to try out cruising knowing that I would only suffer a short time if it were to be. Well, the seas were just fine. I brought three boxes of Dramamine with me. Other than the initial dose that I took before leaving, I never touched the stuff again! I was hooked and we leave for a 7 day to the Caribbean in a few weeks. I only hope the hurricanes stay away from us now!

The weather on that cruise was sunny and the air was warm, but although I put my bathing suit on, I never went swimming. The pools were cool and the air was not extremely hot. It was a nice first trip, but the dock in Halifax and the downtown dock area did not impress me or my family. I guess our next Nova Scotia trip will have to be by land/air!

Enjoy the trip, though, I'm sure you'll have a great time!

We've sailed the Carribean and to Alaska, our next cruise is to NewEngland and Canada and we are worried that the seas will be much rougher than what we've experienced on previous cruises. Any comments/suggestions?

sleuthslayer, which week are you sailing on Enchantment?

Carol

We did this itinerary in Oct 2003 on the Granduer and experienced a hurricane. This was the first hurricane to hit Nova Scotia in 80 years. The captain and staff kept us well informed about what was happening. Would I do this itinerary again. You bet I would in a minute. Canada is beautiful as well as New England. Before the hurricane the seas were very calm. So I would say, please enjoy this trip and don't worry about the seas.

We did Canada/NE out of NY in October 2004 on Serenade. Unfortunately, we were only able to stop at one port...Halifax....and it was pouring rain. The capt told us that was a bad time of year to travel north into Canada. The seas were a little rough, but not unbearable. We enjoyed our cruise, irregardless, as we do every cruise. You just take what mother nature dishes out on each cruise and make the best of it. I look at it this way...I'm still getting waited on hand and foot and enjoying the ships and I am not at work.

We too, will be trying Canada/NE for a 2nd time on 8/21/05. Looking forward to checking out the new and improved Enchantment and seeing what changes have been made since the last time we sailed her.

cruised last yr. to Canada in July. Seas calm. Very little motion. Very Windy and cool. Little pool activity, except for the hot tubs. Never can plan on what Mother Nature has in store, no matter where you journey!!

Hi we are also sailing on the New England/Canada Cruise on August 21. Our last Cruise was five years ago on Princess Cruiselines we went to Alaska on the Inside passage. Would love to go back again and stay longer. Hope this cruise is as great as the last.

Archived