Need wise counsel/advice

TNguy12

Wife and I are taking a cruise for our anniversary this year. We are late 30's and have been married for 15 years! We're thinking Alaska and have narrowed it down to Celebrity Solstice out of Seattle or HAL Volendam or Zuiderdam out of Vancouver. We like the idea of the roundtrip (have really looked at all different options) and like the itinerary of all three. The plus for HAL is Glacier Bay....the plus for the Solstice...is..well...its the Solstice. Ideally, if the Solstice did the HAL itinerary...we'd be 100% sold.

I've researched EXTENSIVELY...and everyone seems to say Alaska is about itinerary, not the ship....that said....I tend to be a bit of a hotel and food snob....and am worried that the HAL ships won't be up to par...and we'd find ourselves wishing we'd have gone with Celebrity...higher level of service, pampering...at bit more 'plush'.

Any thoughts?

P.S. We'll be booking a suite of some type...

Thanks!

I've researched EXTENSIVELY...and everyone seems to say Alaska is about itinerary, not the ship....that said....I tend to be a bit of a hotel and food snob....and am worried that the HAL ships won't be up to par...and we'd find ourselves wishing we'd have gone with Celebrity...higher level of service, pampering...at bit more 'plush'.

If you are already thinking that HAL is "less" than Celebrity, I think you've decided. Go with your gut on this, IMHO. If you are somehow swayed to HAL, and have any kind of problem, you will regret choosing HAL. Whereas, if you have a problem on Celebrity, you will be more likely to just roll with it. JMHO.

If you are already thinking that HAL is "less" than Celebrity, I think you've decided. Go with your gut on this, IMHO. If you are somehow swayed to HAL, and have any kind of problem, you will regret choosing HAL. Whereas, if you have a problem on Celebrity, you will be more likely to just roll with it. JMHO.

Well put.

Frankly, I don't find much "food" difference between the cruise lines. ALL have cut back and if you are a snob, you are sailing the wrong ships. Look at the upscale, small ones that sail Alaska, not the mega ship lines.

I don't sail for the ship or food, I'm getting on cruise number 84 for me today, so certainly coming from a different perspective.

I do agree with everyone else- you already seem to think Celebrity is the line for you. You'll have a great time, there are no "bad" Alaska cruises.

IMO - the Solstice has one of the weakest itineraries out there. My favorite port (Juneau) has the worst times and the ship only goes to Tracy Arm.

Regardless of how cool the ship is, I would avoid it.

I agree with BQ that the food on all lines has been cut back. While I also enjoy food, I wasn't impressed with the food on Celebrity - it didn't seem better than HAL or Princess IMO. I wondered what all the hype was about. I personally would go with itinerary. Most people only go to Alaska once.

Edited by Coral