Why do people complain after they get home?

#1TravelMom

There is a massively long thread on a second-hand account of crew rudeness on the Breakaway. This is my question - why do people complain AFTER they get home. This story regarding crew rudeness makes no mention of addressing this issue while onboard.

I own 2 businesses. If someone has a negative experience ,I want to be notified immediately with specifics - name, time, words exchanged, etc. To post a review days or weeks after a rude encounter with a crewmember is not the way to handle the situation. If I encountered someone rude enough to upset me or make me cry(as in the thread I mentioned) - I would get a name and immediately advise a supervisor of the situation. Then, they can address that crewmember immediately and correct the behavior.

We have been on 40+/- cruises. We have encountered rude crewmembers on every ship on every line. Just last month on the Allure, we encountered a rude cleaning person. We asked her to move her bucket off a step briefly for us to take a photo and she said, "no, I have to get this finished - that is my instructions". We were frustrated and shocked, but went on to have a fine cruise. I just chalked it up to her having a bad day. I'd never give a crewmember the power to be rude enough to ruin a cruise experience and memories for my family.

That being said - as a side note - I have seen way to many instances of passengers being extremely rude - so sad.

There is a massively long thread on a second-hand account of crew rudeness on the Breakaway. This is my question - why do people complain AFTER they get home. This story regarding crew rudeness makes no mention of addressing this issue while onboard.

I own 2 businesses. If someone has a negative experience ,I want to be notified immediately with specifics - name, time, words exchanged, etc. To post a review days or weeks after a rude encounter with a crewmember is not the way to handle the situation. If I encountered someone rude enough to upset me or make me cry(as in the thread I mentioned) - I would get a name and immediately advise a supervisor of the situation. Then, they can address that crewmember immediately and correct the behavior.

We have been on 40+/- cruises. We have encountered rude crewmembers on every ship on every line. Just last month on the Allure, we encountered a rude cleaning person. We asked her to move her bucket off a step briefly for us to take a photo and she said, "no, I have to get this finished - that is my instructions". We were frustrated and shocked, but went on to have a fine cruise. I just chalked it up to her having a bad day. I'd never give a crewmember the power to be rude enough to ruin a cruise experience and memories for my family.

That being said - as a side note - I have seen way to many instances of passengers being extremely rude - so sad.

People like to vent, and this is a public forum. Who knows if these people complain while onboard. You have to take some of the things posted here with a grain of salt. On all of the cruises I have been on, I can't think of an instance where I can say a crew member was rude. Fellow passengers - yes, of course. That is going to happen ... but I can't recall anything specific about a rude crewmember. Also, English is not always the first language of the crew member. Most of the time it isn't, and things can most definitely get lost in translation. What you considered "normal" to ask a crew member to stop her job so you could take a picture ... well, I wouldn't say it's rude, but it's not something I ever would have done. For all you know they have a certain timelimit to complete their tasks. I'd never ask a working person to stop a job for me ... I would have waited until she was done and then taken my photo. But ... that's just me.

People like to vent, and this is a public forum. Who knows if these people complain while onboard. You have to take some of the things posted here with a grain of salt. On all of the cruises I have been on, I can't think of an instance where I can say a crew member was rude. Fellow passengers - yes, of course. That is going to happen ... but I can't recall anything specific about a rude crewmember. Also, English is not always the first language of the crew member. Most of the time it isn't, and things can most definitely get lost in translation. What you considered "normal" to ask a crew member to stop her job so you could take a picture ... well, I wouldn't say it's rude, but it's not something I ever would have done. For all you know they have a certain timelimit to complete their tasks. I'd never ask a working person to stop a job for me ... I would have waited until she was done and then taken my photo. But ... that's just me.

I agree - we were on our way to dinner and thought we'd stop for a quick photo on the stairs - didn't work out - we moved on, no big deal. I could see someone blowing that totally out of proportion and making it a big issue - just not our style. Sometimes I think passengers forget the hours these people work. Sometimes(even with me) - it is easy to mistake: tiredness, having your mind on something else, or just focusing on the task at hand with rudeness. I've definitely have had times I've been busy, had a headache, etc. and answered a question and later thought - I was so busy - I hope they didn't think I was rude.

We have spoken to so many crewmembers over the years. Comments about them are highly valued as this can help them advance.

Unrealistic expectations causes a lot of the problems. There is NOT a perfect cruise. There has been something we didn't like about every cruise we've ever taken...some very minor some not....but the good always out weighs the bad. I've taken 2 NCL cruises and booked a third. Our first was on the Old Norwegian Crown...our suite was the pits but the food was wonderful.....in fact the best we've had in 30 cruises since. The last NCL cruise was on the Epic. I was in a studio and loved the cabin. Our group decided to skip the MDR so we ate in the specialty restaurants...enjoyed the quiet and the food. HATED the pool area on the Epic so found a nice quiet place in the spa on the aft...it was wonderful. Our next NCL cruise is an aft suite, with specialty dining. We've only been very unhappy with one cruise(not NCL)...attendant barged into clean at 10:30 PM and we were placed at a table with a family of small children. We complained about the attendant and changed tables in the dining room...we fixed the problems immediately.

Two words: They can!!

Some people are never happy. Then some want a champagne experience on a beer budget, etc. etc. etc.

We often hear people complaining about the food on the elevators, and guess what we usually do.

We start talking about how great the food is. That we are stuffed. Shuts them up in a hurry.

I feel bad for people that are never happy or think life is all about getting something for nothing.

All well said Sheri.

And very much agree with the language barrier. When English is not someone's first language, they do not add flourishes to the language or expanded explanations like those brought up speaking it.

To the OP, I also would not have considered that rude, but an explanation as to why they could not just stop what they were doing for your photo Op. But it does show what is considered rude to one person isn't always rude to someone else.

My guess on your original question. There will always be stories, complaints or venting where there is an audience. We have a great commercial on TV right now showing a child bully saying all kinds of nasty things and taunting. The camera pans out to show that child all by themselves. It states how silly that kid looks when there is no audience.

Ive been on 4 cruises and have only had one "complaint".

On my last cruise (not NCL), the "kids club" closed early every night. Normal hours were something like 7 - 10, but when I went to drop off my daughter I was told, nightly, they would be closing at 8 or 9. They even had a pay service that extended beyond 10 that was never opened. All kids theme parties at night were cancelled due to "lack of interest" apparently.

Did I complain onboard? No. What would they do? Stay open for my 1 child? Did I come home and write about it? Yes! Just a warning for parents sailing from SJ on a non school vacation week. There were hardly any kids aboard and the club adjusted their hours, to the point that I did not see one show the entire week. By the time we finished dinner, the club was closing within 30 - 45 minutes.

So...this April, I am back on NCL with the best kids program at sea!

Well, since we`re talking about complaints, I do have a couple:

1 the Epic, Breakaway and now the Getaway are too big

2 the Butlers bring too much food when you`re in a suite....the old saying, on as a passenger..........off as cargo...comes to mind. :p

I can`t think of anything else to complain about.

I have put complaining on my list of other deadly sins!

Beth Allen's website talks about it:

The truth is, complaining is really an outward expression of an inner frustration. We think that by complaining about it we’ll find a solution, but all that really happens is that we end up dwelling on the situation when you could have long since moved on! When you can’t change a situation, you can always change your attitude about it!

On top of that, when we complain, we give up our power to do something about it. Not to mention that complaining completely negates happiness! It’s just not possible to be happy and complaining at the same time. And that’s a sad fact! ;-)

Successful people understand that negativity zaps energy, motivation and focus, so avoid complainers at all costs. Therefore, if you’re a complainer, well, you’ll likely find yourself hanging out with other complainers! Yikes! That’s reason enough, right?!

We are friends with Hugo who is the Hotel director on the Breakaway. I learned from him that he is the guy to go to in order to correct problems with crew members. That is one of his jobs and he does it well. However, yyou have to tell him.....

The truth is, complaining is really an outward expression of an inner frustration. We think that by complaining about it we’ll find a solution, but all that really happens is that we end up dwelling on the situation when you could have long since moved on! When you can’t change a situation, you can always change your attitude about it!

On top of that, when we complain, we give up our power to do something about it. Not to mention that complaining completely negates happiness! It’s just not possible to be happy and complaining at the same time. And that’s a sad fact! ;-)

Successful people understand that negativity zaps energy, motivation and focus, so avoid complainers at all costs. Therefore, if you’re a complainer, well, you’ll likely find yourself hanging out with other complainers! Yikes! That’s reason enough, right?!

Wisdom as usual VV.

Love the bolded quote.

I don't complain on board because I am on vacation and it is not my job to supervise the employees. If the supervisors don't notice it themselves they are doing a poor job. The only times I mention something or even complain is it when it affects the rest of the cruise like maintenance issues. Giving good service after someone complains is easy. Really good service is to avoid it before it happens.

But not saying anything on board does not mean that when service on a specific ship is discussed for example on this board you can't write about your experiences.

I think it's easy. People don't want to waste (?) any of their time standing in line at customer service or on the telephone while they are vacationing. Unless the problem bears immediate action they go about their business of being on vacation.

When they return home, life is back to oh so "normal" and taking the time to complain on cruise critic is fine because they are not using up vacation time.

I think it's easy. People don't want to waste (?) any of their time standing in line at customer service or on the telephone while they are vacationing. Unless the problem bears immediate action they go about their business of being on vacation.

I can understand what you are saying here (sort of). But if it still on your mind when you return, it has probably left a small sour taste in your mouth, at least, for the rest of your vacation time.

So here's my advice to those who are reading this and feeling the same way as you do. Once a vent is out, whether onboard or on CC, sometimes it just makes you feel better.

Unless things have changed since the last NCL ship I was on, there is a box at guest services for the HD. It takes less than 2 minutes to express your complaint on a piece of paper, therefore not wasting your valuable time. It allows you to vent in the direction that will be of benefit since it is going to the correct person to fix the problem. You are possibly helping others in the future by having this problem rectified. So you can relax now that you have vented (in the right direction) and feel good that you may have helped someone else. You have the option of leaving your name and cabin number on it, but if you do not wish to waste your vacation time further dealing with this, leave them off.

I can understand what you are saying here (sort of). But if it still on your mind when you return, it has probably left a small sour taste in your mouth, at least, for the rest of your vacation time.

So here's my advice to those who are reading this and feeling the same way as you do. Once a vent is out, whether onboard or on CC, sometimes it just makes you feel better.

Unless things have changed since the last NCL ship I was on, there is a box at guest services for the HD. It takes less than 2 minutes to express your complaint on a piece of paper, therefore not wasting your valuable time. It allows you to vent in the direction that will be of benefit since it is going to the correct person to fix the problem. You are possibly helping others in the future by having this problem rectified. So you can relax now that you have vented (in the right direction) and feel good that you may have helped someone else. You have the option of leaving your name and cabin number on it, but if you do not wish to waste your vacation time further dealing with this, leave them off.

I do just this :)

On BA I had a concern about Bingo, of all things. I left a note and was surprised when Dan the Man called me personally to discuss it. He even offered to meet me to discuss it in person. Well, it was off my chest and he acknowledged my concern, which was more than enough for me! Didn't want to waste my time, or his, so I declined, but I was very impressed with the response to a slip of paper in Hugo's box!

I do just this :)

On BA I had a concern about Bingo, of all things. I left a note and was surprised when Dan the Man called me personally to discuss it. He even offered to meet me to discuss it in person. Well, it was off my chest and he acknowledged my concern, which was more than enough for me! Didn't want to waste my time, or his, so I declined, but I was very impressed with the response to a slip of paper in Hugo's box!

Just curious, what was the issue with Bingo?

Neither have I. Some crew members are more friendly than others but I've never encountered a rude one, either. Language may be an issue with those who don't talk much and I imagine those are in the jobs with less personal contact. I'm not saying there are not rude crew members....I just haven't ever experienced any on any of the lines I've sailed. They seem to value their jobs too much. I have seen long suffering crew dealing with rude passengers.

I get what you are saying. I was raised in a family of complainers. As an adult I try very hard to put that behind me. If I don't have a reasonable solution to offer I don't complain, but if I do have one I put it forth. If it is not taken I move on, as I feel there are probably reasons for whatever is going on that I am not privy to.

I also take the time to write a note to the HD pointing out what was GOOD about my trip!

Meanwhile, I kind of dread spending time with my parents any more because of the constant negativity. My DH has pointed out that I probably would have been a bubbling cheerleader if I had been raised in a more positive environment!

C'est la vie :)