Sea sickness?

cocacola86

My DW was just wondering, when we were on the Breeze which was her first cruise, my second we saw people with patches behind their ears, and she wanted to know where you get them from? If you have to get them from your doctor?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Rx in the U.S. I would add that, if you do get a prescription, see if you can get a few more than you think you need. They're supposed to last three days, but they can be sweated/showered/swum off your skin, and if you only have exactly enough for the number of days of your cruise, you might end up short a patch or two.

My DW was just wondering, when we were on the Breeze which was her first cruise, my second we saw people with patches behind their ears, and she wanted to know where you get them from? If you have to get them from your doctor?

Did your DW get seasick on Breeze?

Way more folks don't get seasick than those who do.

Often people worry way too much about something that is unlikely to happen to them.

LuLu

~~~~

They come in boxes of 4 and 24. I had my dr call in a 4ct box for my cruise in 3 weeks and the cost was $100 and my co-pay was $50....... Thinking I will just use some dramamine or meclizine if needed........

That's a smart decision. Meclazine works well and has many fewer potential adverse effects and side effects.

There are lots of interesting tales about the side effects of the Transderm Scop patches. We have a friend who is an ER physician in FL..who works several months a year on HAL ships. He can really entertain a dinner table with his stories of those that use the patch...which is seldom to ever prescribed by physicians who actually work on ships. His favorite story involves an older lady on a HAL cruise who was found wondering the corridors late one night....without a stitch of clothes. And not only is sleepwalking a potential side effect, but so are hallucinations....and he has lots of stories about that effect such as the man who called Guest Relations and insisted that there was a shark swimming in his cabin bath. Most folks do not have those kind of effects from the patch, but a very common one is the inability to focus one's eyes. DW has tried the patch and after 2 days was unable to read her book. This is why Meclizine (Bonine is the over the counter name in the USA) is the common drug of choice on most ships...is sold in most cruise ship shops...and is even given out free on some vessels.

Hank

Hank -has your ship doctor friend shared with you what he has seen to be the best working sea sickness medicine....over-the-counter or prescription? My wife gets very sea sick on relatively calm boats, and am looking for advice on a what the best working mmedication would be.

Honestly have no clue. The only thing he loved to talk about were the patch tales. Might be a good idea to talk to your own physician for advice. I could tell you that Bonine has always worked for DW, but everyone is different.

But our own favorite sea sick story happened on the Rotterdam (HAL) during a commemorative TA crossing from Rotterdam (the city) to NYC. We were tied up at the pier in Rotterdam (which is in a calm river many hours from the sea) and had dinner with a young couple from Germany. The German lady quickly turned green and got seasick and had to leave the table. But the ship had not even left the pier (there was a big ceremony going on outside on the pier) and there was absolutely no movement on the ship. Her husband was quite annoyed and told us that just the thought of getting on a ship made his wife queasy. So you just never know :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner