Cell phone and text messages

rjack22

I am confused. I have been reading a lot of threads on here about smart phones on cruise ships.

I will be on the Royal Princess and I have a Verizon smart phone.

All I want to be able to do is text. No voice calls. I do plan on purchasing a Internet package so WiFi will be an option although I plan to use that mostly on my netbook. I understand to send a text is $.50 and to receive is $.05.

My question is this... if I put my phone in airplane mode and then turn WiFi on my phone back on will I be able to send and receive texts? I have read conflicting things. Has someone done this and can tell me for sure?

I am confused. I have been reading a lot of threads on here about smart phones on cruise ships.

I will be on the Royal Princess and I have a Verizon smart phone.

All I want to be able to do is text. No voice calls. I do plan on purchasing a Internet package so WiFi will be an option although I plan to use that mostly on my netbook. I understand to send a text is $.50 and to receive is $.05.

My question is this... if I put my phone in airplane mode and then turn WiFi on my phone back on will I be able to send and receive texts? I have read conflicting things. Has someone done this and can tell me for sure?

Texts on cellphones require that your phone be on a cell signal. In other words if you want to get texts your cellphone needs to be turned.

Check out Google Voice. You can send/receive text messages on wifi only. You will need to use a Google voice phone number different from your cell phone number. Texting using your regular phone number requires you're connected to your carrier's voice network, which is not likely while out at sea.

There are also several messenger apps that work w/wifi only for texting, like WhatsApp, BBM, Viber, Kik, etc. The catch is anyone you text also needs to have that same app installed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by pseudoware

I have AT&T and I turn off cellular data (IPHONE) if I am not within the AT&T area.

If I am on the ships cell signal then its .50 per text to send.

It does not cost me anything to receive a text.

I don't use the wifi on my phone, I use my laptop only.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

When I have traveled out of country (Mexico) I only use my IPAD on wifi at our resort- I can send and receive text messages on my IPAD- I also put my iPhone on airplane mode- then hook up to the wifi- I can send and receive text messages- on wifi there is no charge- have AT&T- don't know if that makes a difference.

I have not tried to use it on a cruise- the internet seems very slow on them so am not sure if it will work as well- but will be trying in a week.

When I have traveled out of country (Mexico) I only use my IPAD on wifi at our resort- I can send and receive text messages on my IPAD- I also put my iPhone on airplane mode- then hook up to the wifi- I can send and receive text messages- on wifi there is no charge- have AT&T- don't know if that makes a difference.

I have not tried to use it on a cruise- the internet seems very slow on them so am not sure if it will work as well- but will be trying in a week.

You would have to buy an internet package onboard to connect to wifi.

There is no free wifi.

Off topic somewhat, but I find that the push notifications on my iphone and ipad come through even when I am logged off of the wifi and have the devices in airplane mode/cellular turned off. At least some of them do. That seems really odd and I have more than one time double checked to make sure I am logged off of the wifi.

You can send and receive text messages over WiFi if you have the proper software. If you have your smart phone in airplane mode but on, it can receive texts which for AT&T is free.

The ship's cell tower supports all four of the major US cell phone providers for all services including voice, text messaging and data transfer for a price. When the ship leaves international waters and senses a shore based cell signal, the ship's cell tower will shut down according to International Law. Check the readout on your cell to see who you are connected to.

Leave on the phone but turn off the data roaming. That way you won`t get any internet charges. You will still get texts. Charges vary according to the country you are in. Check with your provider that your phone will be on International roaming. That way you connect to a local provider. I usually get a text when I move from country to country telling me what the call and text rates are. Sometimes it is cheaper to send a picture message with text attached than just text. It varies. If you latch on to a maritime network it is more expensive.

You can always find free wifi locally. You will have to have the wifi turned on on your phone.

Edited by caber

I have an iPone 4s and on a recent cruise I did not realise that the phone was connecting to the ships system even though I was in on a New Zealand plan and we were cruising around NZ.

So even though we were in a NZ port the phone connected to the ship and I came home to an unexpected additional account for $60.

I wont be turning the thing on when I am on the ship in future!!!!

You do not have to buy a WIFI package. You can just pay by the minute without a package.

I thought even if you paid by the minute you had to do the sign up for ~$3.95 and then pick the by the minute plan. Otherwise how do they bill you?

You do not have to buy a WIFI package. You can just pay by the minute without a package.

You don't miss anything do you? :eek:

Talking about internet in general, guess the wrong wording. :rolleyes:

You would need to pruchase minutes regardless.

Again there is no free wifi onboard. :cool:

I have an iPone 4s and on a recent cruise I did not realise that the phone was connecting to the ships system even though I was in on a New Zealand plan and we were cruising around NZ.

So even though we were in a NZ port the phone connected to the ship and I came home to an unexpected additional account for $60.

The ships "Cell" service is turned off in port, or when there is a local signal available. Are you reffering to the internet? Because its always accessible.

I've found that sometimes, texts come through on my iPhone when I'm using WiFi, not cell, in Airplane mode. Not always and I don't really understand how that works.

iPhones and other Apple products have a unique feature called iMessage. On the iPhone it is integrated with your texting application. If your iPhone is on the Internet (either by cell or WiFi signals) and you text someone else who is also on the Internet and using an iPhone or other equivalent Apple device, your texts go via Internet. You can tell the difference because the background for your texts is blue. Normal cell-based texts have a green background. iMessage texts will give you the receipt status of delivered and read. They'll also tell you if the receiver is currently composing a reply.

In short, that's why with your iPhone in Airplane mode but with WiFi enabled, you can get text messages. You can also send them to your iMessage savvy friends.

I have AT&T and before each cruise I call them and tell them exactly what I want to be able to do and what I want to avoid(high charges). They tell me and also send an email with the instructions to accomplish this. Once when I did incurr excessive charges I was able to get it credited because I had documentation.

The ships "Cell" service is turned off in port, or when there is a local signal available. Are you reffering to the internet? Because its always accessible.

Let me elaborate a bit on Colo Cruiser's good response. Supposedly the ship's cell service automatically switches off when it detects a shore-based cell phone tower. As such, you should NEVER connect to the ship's service when in port, unless of course, there is no service in the port (unlikely) or, the ship's system is broken.

Even if the ship's system is mistakenly turned on, most cell phones have an internal list of carriers which is ordered in a preferential manner. This means even if your phone detects the ship's cell service and a local service simultaneously, priority is supposed to be given to the local service (especially if you have a NZ phone in NZ).

I believe it is more likely your phone connected to the ship's system while you were cruising around NZ and were far enough from shore that no land-based towers were available.

You can always tell the service to which your phone is connected by looking at the top left part of your display, right next to the signal bars (I too have and iPhone 4S). If it says something like MCP, you're on the ship's service. MCP is Maritime Communication Partners with provides the satellite-based cell phone service for Princess and most other cruise lines as well.

BTW, IMHO you were very fortunate to only have a $60 extra charge on your bill! There are some real horror stories out there.

We always turn Data Roaming off when we travel (unless we have purchased a bundle of minutes for travel in the U.S.). On our recent Royal Princess cruise we found that as soon as we connected to the ship's free WiFi app (which allows you to see daily events, hours of opening, etc.) we would get text messages and other app alerts.

We did have also have a WiFi/Internet package on board, and we were able to video call home on my iPhone for free every day using FaceTime - so while chatting my husband was able to see me and my son, and also got to watch people dancing in the Piazza, the sea outside our balcony, etc. Sometimes we lost the FaceTime connection momentarily, but I was surprised how well it worked most of the time.

I have often read on Cruise Critic that ships block the use of Skype on board, but we have also been able to Skype home on every cruise we've ever taken. We didn't use Skype this time, just FaceTime.

Let me elaborate a bit on Colo Cruiser's good response. Supposedly the ship's cell service automatically switches off when it detects a shore-based cell phone tower. As such, you should NEVER connect to the ship's service when in port, unless of course, there is no service in the port (unlikely) or, the ship's system is broken.

Even if the ship's system is mistakenly turned on, most cell phones have an internal list of carriers which is ordered in a preferential manner. This means even if your phone detects the ship's cell service and a local service simultaneously, priority is supposed to be given to the local service (especially if you have a NZ phone in NZ).

I believe it is more likely your phone connected to the ship's system while you were cruising around NZ and were far enough from shore that no land-based towers were available.

You can always tell the service to which your phone is connected by looking at the top left part of your display, right next to the signal bars (I too have and iPhone 4S). If it says something like MCP, you're on the ship's service. MCP is Maritime Communication Partners with provides the satellite-based cell phone service for Princess and most other cruise lines as well.

BTW, IMHO you were very fortunate to only have a $60 extra charge on your bill! There are some real horror stories out there.

Thanks! Thats what I was thinking as well. :D

We did have also have a WiFi/Internet package on board, and we were able to video call home on my iPhone for free every day using FaceTime - so while chatting my husband was able to see me and my son, and also got to watch people dancing in the Piazza, the sea outside our balcony, etc. Sometimes we lost the FaceTime connection momentarily, but I was surprised how well it worked most of the time.

I have often read on Cruise Critic that ships block the use of Skype on board, but we have also been able to Skype home on every cruise we've ever taken. We didn't use Skype this time, just FaceTime.

While it's nice you were able to FaceTime, keep in mind that Skype and FaceTime are huge bandwidth hogs so while you were able to get a connection, I'm guessing that others weren't or lost signal because of the large bandwidth you were using. Probably costing them Internet minutes and money. :( This is why Skype and FaceTime are often blocked: to give more users the ability to use the Internet.