Would you do your time dining party of 10 on Breeze?

sturderick

Somebody posted a review a few weeks (or longer?) ago. They did ATD with a party of ten and were all cranked up because it took a while to get seated. The general consensus was that ATD should only be used for smaller groups.

It would take a heck of a lot longer to seat that many people!

We have a group of nine going but won't all eat together so ATD got our vote. We all just plan to wander down when hungry and may end up in groups of 4-6 but not all 9.

For a group that large I would stick with traditional dining. You have an assigned table at either early or late seating. The waiters will know your likes and dislikes after the first night. I definitely think you will have a more enjoyable time with the traditional dining format.

There were 9 of us on the Breeze in April. I was very apprehensive to try YTD, as we always traveled with friends, and have only done assigned seating. Surprisingly, our group of 9 never waited for more than a couple of minutes, and we sat smack in the middle of the dining room with the same wait staff for 4 of the 8 nights. It was pretty sweet.

There were 9 of us on the Breeze in April. I was very apprehensive to try YTD, as we always traveled with friends, and have only done assigned seating. Surprisingly, our group of 9 never waited for more than a couple of minutes, and we sat smack in the middle of the dining room with the same wait staff for 4 of the 8 nights. It was pretty sweet.

We did 13 on the Dream and never waited more than 5 minutes. It took longer to get to the "Check-In" counter than actually getting seating.

It was a non-issue for them as well as us. Some nights we had our choice of 2 round tables next to each other or 1 long table.

We've sailed twice with a large party and choose main dining both times. The important consideration for us was that we usually each did our own thing during the day, so dinner was our central meeting point. Just wanted to mention that trying to get everyone to agree on a time is one less thing to worry about / plan.

Edited by GottaLuvCruising

Thanks for everyone's input! I really want to hear from people that have actually done it so I can get a feel for what they went through. All 10 of us may not want to eat at the same time or in the dining room every night for that matter, so I think it would be a better choice to decide day by day. We had a group of 8 and had assigned seating last time and it was very stressful trying to make sure we were all ready and there at a certain time. It wasn't as relaxed as it should be when you're on vacation. We don't mind waiting at all. We figured we would just go to a bar and have a glass of wine if we needed to. Some want late dining and some want early so this way we can split the difference. I really don't understand why it would be a burden on the staff to have us do this :confused:? It's no different than going to a restaurant. Oh well...thank you again for the input.

For that large of a group, I would stick with either early or late dining.

I have to agree. We had a group of 10 girls on the Triumph and wanted early dining, but it was booked. The only thing available was anytime dining. Our TA contacted her Carnival rep and within a few days everyone was confirmed for early dining. It was great as the group had a large round table and a wonderful team of waiters.

Thanks for everyone's input! I really want to hear from people that have actually done it so I can get a feel for what they went through. All 10 of us may not want to eat at the same time or in the dining room every night for that matter, so I think it would be a better choice to decide day by day. We had a group of 8 and had assigned seating last time and it was very stressful trying to make sure we were all ready and there at a certain time. It wasn't as relaxed as it should be when you're on vacation. We don't mind waiting at all. We figured we would just go to a bar and have a glass of wine if we needed to. Some want late dining and some want early so this way we can split the difference. I really don't understand why it would be a burden on the staff to have us do this :confused:? It's no different than going to a restaurant. Oh well...thank you again for the input.

I don't get the "burden" thing either...then again...I don't get 98% of the dining discussions on here...not all that special to us....That said, we did ATD with a group of 10 on Breeze last near...no problems at all....had same table and staff most nights....waits were minimal...I think we waited maybe 15mins on one of elegant nights...rest of the time...no problems with the wait.....

I don't get the "burden" thing either...then again...I don't get 98% of the dining discussions on here...not all that special to us....That said, we did ATD with a group of 10 on Breeze last near...no problems at all....had same table and staff most nights....waits were minimal...I think we waited maybe 15mins on one of elegant nights...rest of the time...no problems with the wait.....

Great! That's what I was trying to get. An answer from someone that had actually done it. We've been on several cruises and have used both types of dining but never with a group this large. Everyone in the group decided they want ATD so that's what we're doing. I'm not the type to get all bent out of shape if everything isn't just perfect so I don't care if we have to wait a little. We're on vacation and I'm not cooking so what's there to complain about :D:D:D. Thank you for your input!

Great! That's what I was trying to get. An answer from someone that had actually done it. We've been on several cruises and have used both types of dining but never with a group this large. Everyone in the group decided they want ATD so that's what we're doing. I'm not the type to get all bent out of shape if everything isn't just perfect so I don't care if we have to wait a little. We're on vacation and I'm not cooking so what's there to complain about :D:D:D. Thank you for your input!

You shouldn't have any problems with that attitude. As long as you know if you go at peak times you could have a wait for a large table, just like any land restaurant. Have a great cruise.

We did 7 on Magic with little to no wait. We had great wait person each night. Only one night we had a small wait but we went at prime time.

If you have a problem, just adjust your time by a couple of minutes when it's not high volume and you can give the dining room a call to let them know what time you will be there (but be on time). Tipping the maître may help :p.

We have 9 on the next cruise and we will be doing ATD.

Somebody posted a review a few weeks (or longer?) ago. They did ATD with a party of ten and were all cranked up because it took a while to get seated. The general consensus was that ATD should only be used for smaller groups.

It would take a heck of a lot longer to seat that many people!

We have a group of nine going but won't all eat together so ATD got our vote. We all just plan to wander down when hungry and may end up in groups of 4-6 but not all 9.

Good idea...cause I do NOT feel anytime dining works well for groups (unless they are non groups, as yours seems to be LOL)

I agree - the group of 10 is just setting themselves up for frustration and anxiety.

It is hard to get in touch with others on board at best - having a fixed dinner time is the best way to catch up....calling cabins, looking for others, waiting around?? Thanks but no thanks

I have not really done anytime but I can see the advantages of it: however, with a group...or with someone with specific food needs or (God forbid) severe food allergies I think you are only setting up yourself and the wait staff for problems

(and yes some people will tell you what you want to hear..or how it works for them and their "dear spouse">>>BUT ultimately it is your vacation fun on the line, and anytime dining is not a good option

btw....10 is the largest table and you can ask for it and get it in fixed dining....trying to get a table for 10 at anytime?? Ouch...I really doubt it

We had a group of 10 that did ATD on the Liberty...Never a wait, same table, same staff, when the Maitre D saw us coming she made sure our table was ready to go. We were some of the first people in the dining room, so I'm sure that always helped. As for gathering up that many people, we just planned on meeting in the lobby bar by 5:30 and then would head to dinner from there. Some in our party got there at 5, others by 5:30. Never had a problem...of course, YMMV. And FWIW, our dining staff for that cruise were THE BEST any of us had ever experienced and I cruise with a mixed bag of folks who cruise frequently/not so much on CCL/RCL/X/HAL and everyone had the same opinion. I think it may be harder on the staff, but you get what you give when it comes to attitude....

This year we are doing an 8-day on the Freedom in August with a group of 12 and have ATD scheduled again. Will we be at 2 tables...most likely, does it matter to us...no. We'll have the same plan for meeting at XYZ Location by XYZ time and go from there.

We had a group of 10 that did ATD on the Liberty...Never a wait, same table, same staff, when the Maitre D saw us coming she made sure our table was ready to go. We were some of the first people in the dining room, so I'm sure that always helped. As for gathering up that many people, we just planned on meeting in the lobby bar by 5:30 and then would head to dinner from there. Some in our party got there at 5, others by 5:30. Never had a problem...of course, YMMV. And FWIW, our dining staff for that cruise were THE BEST any of us had ever experienced and I cruise with a mixed bag of folks who cruise frequently/not so much on CCL/RCL/X/HAL and everyone had the same opinion. I think it may be harder on the staff, but you get what you give when it comes to attitude....

This year we are doing an 8-day on the Freedom in August with a group of 12 and have ATD scheduled again. Will we be at 2 tables...most likely, does it matter to us...no. We'll have the same plan for meeting at XYZ Location by XYZ time and go from there.

These were my feelings exactly. I don't stress over everything being perfect and don't think ATD is set up for small groups only. We've done it and seen plenty of large groups. We plan on meeting at the bar and going from there. Like I said before, it's vacation, you're supposed to relax. I do not like eating at 8:00 at night and don't want to rush off of an island to get to early dining in time so this is a perfect solution for us. We all agreed so that's 1/2 the battle. Like I said before, there may be some nights some of us won't want to eat in the dining room and our group will be smaller. I just wanted advice from people that had experienced it. Obviously everyone has different opinions but I have seen nothing so far to make me think this won't work for us. Thanks :)

Well..you got the answer YOU wanted to hear - so all is well, except your ship and experience and group may be different

Just getting everyone aware of the day's plans, time to eat, time to meet is stressful IMHO - having done group cruises I am also very aware that suggested meeting spots and times are not that easy - for example, plan to meet on promenade only to find tons of photo op backgrounds set up, few seats, all taken....plan to meet at alchemy bar only to find seats taken for a martini tasting - it all sounds easy till you are on board

Hopefully the new technology will soon come where we can text each other on board with cell phones but til then I would opt for fixed seating. It will be interesting to read your review after the cruise