Decision between Royal and Carnival: opinions

maudde

i know this is just a question of opinion, but would appreciate yours. I have only sailed RC (4 times). I have a balcony hold on Navigator in May. I have never sailed on a refurbished ship and thought it would be a different experience with new and fresh things. I also have a balcony aft wrap around hold on Carnival Valor out of Puerto Rico because the room sounded great for a comparable price, but I've never sailed Carnival. I have been on both itineraries, so nothing new with those. If this was your call, what would you do for those who have cruised both lines. Thanks for your opinions.

Thanks for your opinion. I love having a balcony and thought having a wrap aft sounded great. However, I was thinking a refurbished ship sounded nice as well, but maybe it's not a big issue as I've never sailed on a ship I thought looked old or in need of repair. I have never sailed Navigator or Carnival so either one will be a new experience. Again, thanks for your thoughts

As you can see, I've sailed on both lines and this next cruise is on Royal. It never hurts to try something new. At least you can form your own oppinion on what works for you. I don't sail on Royal often because they tend to be more expensive for me. I think its because of all the extra bells and whistles (ice rink, rock wall, flow rider, etc). I don't use them so why pay more. But thats just me. I cruise for the itinerery. :)

We had an aft wrap on the Freedom this past September. The cabin and the balcony were amazing! The cabin is probably about the same square footage as other balcony cabins, but it was sort of a triangle instead of a rectangle. It also had two large windows which made the room seem very bright.

The balcony itself was out of this world. We had more than enough room to throw a party out there. The only downside we had was the lack of a covering so it got very warm when we were in port. What was nice was that we had about 6 feet that wrapped around the side of the ship that did have an overhang so even in bad weather we could sit there.

I've never sailed Royal so I can't give my opinion there, but you will not be disappointed in this cabin or this balcony!

Happy Cruising!

Ive cruised on both lines and IMHO selecting one or the other is a matter of quality vs quantity. Hands down there is a very slim chance (if any) on beating CCL's pricing. RCI tends to have better entertainment venues.As far as comparing food selection , this a very touchy matter since every palate is different. If you are not a picky eater CCL will suffice your cravings . Being a San Juan resident my advice for the Valor is to watch out for school break dates. Try to avoid those. Local semester dates are in sync with stateside schools. Enjoy your aft cabin cruise.

Thank you. I can't imagine feeling hungry on a cruise, so that is not an issue for us. This is early May, so I'm assuming school will still be in session. I am hoping that is the case as most schools here don't get out until late May/first of June. Thanks again for your response.

Thank you for your opinion. I see you have sailed Valor : ) I hope it was a good cruise for you. It seems people would opt for the balcony more so than a refurbished ship.

I have to say it was an excellent cruise. And as other people always say, a cruise is what you make of it. Just remember if you get a dish that you don't like, order another. :D

Like others, I have sailed both lines. Carnival has cut back too much. They are no longer the fun line, IMO, they are the budget line. In fact, when you compare prices closely and then look at all other expenses associated with a cruise they are not cheap enough (often times actually more expensive) than RCI to justify gambling my vacation time and dollars on a substandard experience.

When Carnival gets serious about onboard entertainment again I'd go back again. Until then I don't need to save $100 per person to be bored or have a DJ on the pool deck try to blow out my ear drums.

Like others, I have sailed both lines. Carnival has cut back too much. They are no longer the fun line, IMO, they are the budget line. In fact, when you compare prices closely and then look at all other expenses associated with a cruise they are not cheap enough (often times actually more expensive) than RCI to justify gambling my vacation time and dollars on a substandard experience.

When Carnival gets serious about onboard entertainment again I'd go back again. Until then I don't need to save $100 per person to be bored or have a DJ on the pool deck try to blow out my ear drums.

I agree with this. Royal Caribbean has the better overall cruise experience, which includes entertainment. if you are interested in just drinking & gambling then Carnival is fine. I also think RCCL ships look better in my opinion, on the seas and on the decks.

Tom, I agree, RCCL ships are the most beautiful ships. I have been on Allure twice which has everything! Being on such a port heavy itinerary, maybe I would be too tired when I got back for any entertainment. I have no faults with any of my RCCL cruises, but with that being said, I have nothing to compare it to. It would definitely be something different. Thanks for your thoughts.

I cannot comment on Carnival because I have never been but I was on the Navigator before the dry dock and it was awesome then. Now you will have a flowrider if that interest you. It was a really fun ship with a Mardi gras type theme through out but very well done. Not tacky at all. Beautiful ship.

Debbie