Eastern Australia Port Activities

IrishCraig,

Some ports seem more suited to self-touring but with others it's probably best to bite the bullet and do an excursion organised by the cruise company, especially if you want to go somewhere that is a distance from where the ship docks.

RCI seem to have a few excursions that should suit you from Brisbane, to either the Australia Zoo or the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. They do look quite expensive but at least you are guaranteed to get back on board the ship. I haven't been to either of those places recently so can't advise which would be best but I can't see RCI managing to stuff up those excursions too badly.

In Sydney, I'd highly recommend a trip to the Blue Mountains as the scenery is quite stunning. If you can find one that includes a trip on the Scenic Railway, take it. Or you could just hire a car and drive up there - it takes about 90 minutes from the Sydney CBD to get to Katoomba where most of the main sights are. Also take a ferry to Manly - you'll get gorgeous views of the harbour and once you arrive in Manly you can walk from the harbourside to the surf beach in just a few minutes, so different scenery again. When you get to teh surf side go left along the esplanade and there is a lovely walk around to another small beach. Look out for the artworks embedded in the rocks along the walk. :) If you don't want to do an expensive BridgeClimb you can just walk across the harbour bridge. The pedestrian walkway is on the Eastern side, from The Rocks to Kirrabilli. There isn't much at Kirrabilli other than some good cafes.

Incidentally if you like seafood I'd recommend Garfish which is down a side street opposite the bridge stairs at Kirrabilli, and also over the road and one block south from the ferry wharf in Manly.

I hope you have a wonderful time visiting and cruising Australia. It's certainly quite different to Ireland - we were in Ireland for 8 days last year and loved it.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

There is so much to see and do as spoken about in Brisbane that I would forget about the Gold Coast. It is a destination to itself that a few hours just does not do it justice. Lone Pine, Australia Zoo , South Bank will more then fill in the Day.

The GBR is a long way out from the Whitsundays. I would suggest seeing the islands and Whitehaven Beach. There is plenty of snorkelling to be done off the islands which is of course part of the reef.

See the GBR at Cairns. Its a lot closer to shore. I believe Green Island is actually considered being on the GBR.

I was going to suggest southbank for Brissy. There is abseiling, kayaking, segwaying available. Walking or bike hire and riding along the river. Also Qld museum (as previously mentioned) is a great look about.

Aus Zoo (Steve Irwin's) is a great day, but traffic can be dodgy on that highway:(. I have spent 4 hours in traffic from nth Bris trying to get to sunny coast (where zoo is) lone pine kola sanctuary is safer traffic wise, I cannot comment on its quality :)

Where does RCI berth in Bris? At the port or where princess does at Hamilton?

Airlie I would suggest an island hop cruise. Airlie is a gateway to the islands, not much to rave about IMO. Daydream island has a lovely little reef on it's Lovers Beach. Great for a walk out snorkel. It's private guests only but that has never been an issue for us!

If you are not confident swimmers, take a proper reef cruise. You will be given a noodle (floatation spongey foam stick) & snorkeling gear. Seriously & honestly. You just kick and breath. Nothing to it. PLEASE do not let your lack of confidence deprive you of seeing coral & fish etc.:) It really is another world, joyful, colourful & silent. I will beg & plead you to have a go at it if convinces you to try!

Cheers & enjoy your time in Australia!

If you are not confident swimmers, take a proper reef cruise. You will be given a noodle (floatation spongey foam stick) & snorkeling gear. Seriously & honestly. You just kick and breath. Nothing to it. PLEASE do not let your lack of confidence deprive you of seeing coral & fish etc.:) It really is another world, joyful, colourful & silent. I will beg & plead you to have a go at it if convinces you to try!

We'd both love to try snorkeling the reef but we'd probably look like complete idiots if we had to use a floatation device, people will be like "if you cant swim why the hell are you here, theres plenty to do on dry ground" :D

Yeah im nearly sure the ship berths in Hamilton for Brisbane

Edited by irishcraig
Adding information

To the OP -- why don't you give us some quick descriptions of the things that are being offered as shore tours (including prices) and perhaps we can make comments on them. It is always difficult as locals to recommend places to people from overseas -- what we find boring (familiarity breeds contempt) you may find fascinating.

Barry

Heres a few samples and descriptions of the tours that RC are offering.

Ive just included the tours we're thinking about and what are most of interest at the momemt, love to hear your opinions on them.

Prices are in AUS Dollars and per person

Brisbane

Brisbane Sights & Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- $79

During your panoramic coach tour of Brisbane you’ll see how the city has been transformed into a beautiful and vibrant metropolis. The historic Parliament House, City Hall and other stately buildings are a wonderful contrast to the splendid riverside setting of the modern South Bank Parklands, State's Art Gallery and Performing Arts Complex.

You’ll make a delightful visit to the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary and get close to the animals in a beautiful, natural setting. In addition to all the other Australian birds and animals; with over 100 free roaming koalas, kangaroos and wallabies this sanctuary was the first and remains the largest of its kind in the world.

Day at the Gold Coast- $79

Queensland is the “Sunshine State”. When you combine that with the stunningly beautiful Gold Coast you have a tour perfectly tailored for guests who want to spend their day relaxing on the most famous stretch of beach in the state.

You’ll get a brief introduction to the highlights of Brisbane as your coach passes through the city. At the beach you’ll have plenty of time on your own to enjoy lunch, shop, swim or just work hard … on your tan.

At the designated time and place you’ll meet back up with your coach for the pleasant ride back to the ship.

Australia Zoo Express- $145

Travel north from Brisbane to visit the Australia Zoo, home to the late Steve Irwin, TV's "Crocodile Hunter". Then u will proceed to see the Croc Show. The giant crocs are menacing and awesome. The show is a lot of fun and it will educate you to the ways of the crocodile. Although the Croc Show is the main event, there is some limited free time to explore the zoo and its inhabitants. The Koala enclosure is a favorite and allows you to observe up close some of Australia's most famous animals.

Airlie Beach

Tropical Rainforest & Countryside- $150

Participate in a fully guided tour with the most experienced rainforest tour guides in the Whitsundays. Ride in comfort in a deluxe air conditioned vehicle as you tour the best highland tropical rainforest in the heart of the Conway Range. Conway National Park – This 22,500 ha park includes the rainforest-clad Conway Range and protects the largest area of highland Tropical Rainforest in Queensland outside Tropical North Queensland. Rugged, steep, rocky cliffs provide a spectacular 35 km long backdrop to the Whitsunday Passage. The park’s vegetation is totally different to that on the Whitsunday Islands because thousands of years ago the sea level rose, drowning coastal valleys and creating the islands. For thousands of years, the Ngaro and Gia people roamed these rainforests, harvesting the riches of the forests and the adjoining sea country. Today the adjacent waters are protected in marine parks. Cedar Creek Falls – Located just 19 km from Proserpine and 28 km from Airlie Beach are the picturesque Cedar Creek Falls. These falls are spectacular in the wet season and offer an almost year round natural swimming pool at the base of the falls. Set in a natural amphitheater, the flora and fauna will amaze you. Tropical Rainforest Walk – Rainforests are the richest of all the Earth’s environments in plant and animal life. Enjoy a walk beneath the canopy of the rainforest and experience the numerous plants as they compete for space, light and nutrients. Many plants, which include Bird Nest and Basket Ferns, with giant Elkhorn’s and woody climbing vines, decorate the colorful tree trunks.

Whitehaven Beach & Aussie BBQ Lunch - $230

Board your catamaran directly from the ship and cruise through the Whitsunday Islands. Your destination is world famous Whitehaven, "Australia's Most Beautiful Beach". As soon as you arrive you’ll experience a wonderful sense of escape and relaxation.

Whitehaven is located on the largest of the 74 islands which make up the Whitsunday Island group. Stretching over 7 km, it is well known for the natural beauty of its crystal clear water and pristine, white silica sand. You’ll have up to 3 hours of free time to join the walk to Solway Lookout and swim. The shallow water is full of marine life and it’s not unusual to spot turtles, manta rays, dolphins and giant fish.

A typical Aussie BBQ lunch will be served. A light, afternoon tea will be offered during the return sailing.

Crocodile Safari - $190

There's more to the Whitsundays than the reef and islands. Hiding in the Proserpine River you will find dangerous saltwater crocodiles living and breeding in the estuaries. You will see an amazing array of birdlife in the coastal wetlands. Nowhere else on the Queensland coast can you experience so much in one location. In complete safety and comfort you’ll cruise the pristine crocodile country and tour the Melaleuca forest and mangrove ecosystem of the freshwater wetland habitat. With the sound of nature as your background music you may feel like you are lost in the middle of the Australian bush.

Enjoy a traditional “Bush Tucker” BBQ lunch followed by a ride on an open-air, tractor drawn wagon train. Traveling through the Goorgana wetlands you will see the area as Captain Cook first saw it over two centuries ago. As you experience this unique Australian habitat, like the Captain and his men, you’ll marvel at the many species of flora and fauna.

Great Barrier Reef - $300

Board your exclusive catamaran for the 2 hour sail to the Great Barrier Reef, a wonder of the natural world. Your destination is a large, floating platform located on the outer reef. This snorkeler’s paradise is home to an abundance of tropical marine life and the colorful coral is breathtakingly beautiful.

Enjoy approximately three hours of free time to indulge in a wide range of activities. Snorkel the famous reef and take a semi sub ride. View the reef from a glass bottom boat, look through the underwater viewing chamber or just relax on the open deck.

Your catamaran is fully equipped with restrooms and will remain moored alongside the pontoon at all times. Both the pontoon and the catamaran have open sundecks and covered areas offering cool shade.

A buffet lunch will be served on the pontoon. Tea and coffee will be available. Other beverages are offered at an additional cost.

Cairns

Cairns & Rainforest Village - $50

Experience the charm of a real rainforest village and also see the sights of Cairns, Tropical North Queensland’s most well-known tourist city. You’ll travel in air-conditioned comfort as you take a panoramic drive through Cairns past many famous sights such as the Central Mall, The Navy Patrol Base, the shipyards and the Sugar Terminal. Your driver will relate the history of the area, providing a wonderful orientation to this historic city and its suburbs. There will be a brief stop in the suburb of Palm Cove.

The highlight of your adventure is a visit to the charming village of Kuranda. Established in the mid-1800s it became a well-known outpost, where miners and loggers stocked up on goods and travellers found diversion at the local hotels. Today you’ll find a variety of wonderful attractions for the entire family. You’ll have time to independently explore the village, enjoying the shops and cafes. Be sure to visit the world famous Butterfly Sanctuary or see the wide array of local birdlife at Birdworld. Don’t forget to select a special memento at the craft markets or perhaps pick up an aboriginal didgeridoo!

Cairns, Kuranda, Aboriginals & Army Ducks - $100

Embrace the nature, wildlife and indigenous people of Australia’s north land on this exploration that takes you through rainforest villages, up jungle waterways and into the world of Aboriginal culture.

You’ll begin with a brief tour and free time in charming Kuranda Village before heading to Rainforestation. Prepare for a unique experience as you board the World War II Army Duck, an amphibious vehicle that travels over land and in water. What a fun and unusual way to see the beauty of the World Heritage Rainforest! Your Army Duck will take to the water with propellers engaged, and cruise up the jungle shoreline. Keep your camera handy and be on the lookout for all manner of reptiles, fish and other wildlife.

Then get ready for a cultural treat as you settle in for a performance by the Aboriginal Pamigirri Dancers. The group is proud to share their heritage as they explain the movements and meanings of the dances. You’ll even have a chance to get in on the action when you head down the Dreamtime walk where you will witness demonstrations of boomerang and spear throwing, and even have a try at boomerang throwing yourself.

Jungle Train & Amphibious Army Duck - $165

Embrace the nature, wildlife and indigenous people of Australia’s north land on this exploration that takes you through rainforest villages, up jungle waterways and into the world of Aboriginal culture.

You’ll begin with a brief tour and free time in charming Kuranda Village before heading to Rainforestation. Prepare for a unique experience as you board the World War II Army Duck, an amphibious vehicle that travels over land and in water. What a fun and unusual way to see the beauty of the World Heritage Rainforest! Your Army Duck will take to the water with propellers engaged, and cruise up the jungle shoreline. Keep your camera handy and be on the lookout for all manner of reptiles, fish and other wildlife.

Then get ready for a cultural treat as you settle in for a performance by the Aboriginal Pamigirri Dancers. The group is proud to share their heritage as they explain the movements and meanings of the dances. You’ll even have a chance to get in on the action when you head down the Dreamtime walk where you will witness demonstrations of boomerang and spear throwing, and even have a try at boomerang throwing yourself.

Jungle Train, Kuranda and Skyrail - $200

Prepare yourself for amazing views of lush tropical scenery. Australia’s World Heritage-listed rainforest is yours to enjoy by train and cableway during this scenic adventure.

You’ll drive to the Freshwater Railway Station for the first leg of your journey, a ride aboard the Kuranda Scenic Railway. Settle in and enjoy the leisurely 75 minute ascent to 1,076 feet above sea level. This breathtaking route features waterfalls, 40 bridges and 15 tunnels as you travel to Kuranda Railway Station. Once in the village of Kuranda, you’re free to browse the craft markets for that special souvenir, shop for Aboriginal art, or grab a snack.

Then comes your chance to experience a bird’s eye view of the lush forest canopy as you ride the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway. You’ll glide along the five mile route in cars that offer 360 degree views. Be on the lookout for birds and exotic plants in this veritable paradise.

Exploring the Great Barrier Reef - $340

This Great Barrier Reef experience is offered to cater to the more advanced snorkeler that would prefer to snorkel from the back of a purpose built reef vessel rather than a pontoon. Guests will visit two reef moorings on this full day exclusive charter allowing them the opportunity to experience the best the area and the daily conditions have to offer.

The day will include up to 4 hours of time in the water, a full Buffet Lunch, morning and afternoon tea as well as a lycra suit for each participant making it a perfect day for the more advanced reef enthusiast. This reef experience could not be any better utilizing the purpose built vessel accommodating a maximum of 100 guests adding to the exclusivity of the reef sights visited. Scuba diving is an optional extra for the divers in the group however it is best to pre book this onboard your cruise ship prior to the day of travel to ensure your tanks are in place and dive masters are ready to show you the wonders of the Great Barrier Reef.

I know its a long post but i didnt edit anything it was taken straight from the RC website.

We'd both love to try snorkeling the reef but we'd probably look like complete idiots if we had to use a floatation device, people will be like "if you cant swim why the hell are you here, theres plenty to do on dry ground" :D

Yeah im nearly sure the ship berths in Hamilton for Brisbane

I am a very poor swimmer -- but I have snorkelled a few times -- AND IT IS AN AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, it is almost better than sex!! :) To avail myself of this experience, I will do all that is necessary - and to hell what anybody thinks about me :) I snorkeled once off a small boat in Hawaii - with sharks swimming below me (probably about 20 meters down, but the water was so clear)

One day on Daydream Island we simply sat on the bottom of a shallow sandy beach with the water over our heads (breathing through the snorkel) -- it was not the sort of place that you would usually snorkel but this time a family of seahorses swam by us about 2 feet from our faces!!!

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!! A flotation device will allow you to experience this without any safety worries.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Heres a few samples and descriptions of the tours that RC are offering.

Ive just included the tours we're thinking about and what are most of interest at the momemt, love to hear your opinions on them.

Prices are in AUS Dollars and per person

I know its a long post but i didnt edit anything it was taken straight from the RC website.

The "value" of these tours is for me largely dependent on what they do/where they go to -- but also HOW LONG they are .

Can you please tell us the lengths of these tours.

Barry

Goodness me! Don't let the stupid opinions of other people stop you from having a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Even good swimmers float around on noodles sometimes. Snorkeling is quite different from swimming and often you don't have to go far from the boat or pontoon to see wonderful underwater sights. Just make sure the staff know that you aren't strong swimmers and ask them to keep an eye on you.

According to the Port of Brisbane website http://www.portbris.com.au/PortBris/media/General-Files/Shipping%20Operations/Cruise-Liner-Schedule-2014_1.pdf

The Rhapsody will be visiting Brisbane on 30th March 2014 and will be docking at the F1 Grain pier.

Rhapsody of

the Seas

30 March 2014

0800hrs

30 March 2014

1700hrs

279 ICS FI Grain

We have docked there twice...once on Sun Princess (when the Dawn P had hogged the Hamilton wharf) and once on Solstice (which like Rhapsody is too tall to fit under the Gateway Bridge.)

Main point about this is that the F1 Wharf is an industrial site and there is no public transport - although privately arranged transport like cabs and tour buses are reasonably well catered for.

Unless you have some way of pre organising anything (or have a mug on board like me who will do it for you) you pretty much have to either:

1. Take one of the shuttle buses into the CBD and look after yourself (including return to ship)...or

2. Take one of the ship tours.

After looking at the posted tours for Brisbane the tour to Lone Pine is probably what I would recommend. It will take you via the city, southbank and up to the park and should be rewarding. Lone Pine is not that big, but has a lot of free roaming animals(kangaroos,emus,wallabies etc) that can be hand fed, ... and of course there is a specific place where you can cuddle and have your photo taken with a Koala (not many places in Australia allow this). There are also quite a few other exhibits and a nice place to have lunch. A two hour visit is generally ok.

Notes:

1. Entrance fee will be included in tour cost, but it will be extra for photos,feed for animals and any refreshments - but costs are quite reasonable. The place is now owned by the Japanese and they have it pretty well organised.

2. You can have photos taken by friends/relatives when cuddling koalas, but you do have to buy one of the officially taken photos. I recommend that people do the koala photo shoot first, wander around the other areas, then return to the central cafe/shop area, collect their photos and take some refreshments - although this may well be determined by the tour operator.

3. I am no way connected with Lone Pine - I offer the above info from what I picked up when researching for the tour arranged for my visit on Solstice in Feb 2013.

I also noted that the tour to the Gold Coast is a "drive you there- leave you there-then drive you back " affair. Quite daunting to a visitor I would have thought. They also say that you would get to see some of the city on the way...not exactly true. From the Grain wharf the bus will link up directly with the highway going south and the best you might see is a few glimpses of suburbia.

cheers

Edited by Flipper133

Regarding the tours:

Brisbane either

Brisbane Sights & Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- $79

Australia Zoo Express- $145

which ever you think will give you the best experience.

Airlie Beach

Great Barrier Reef - $300

I think this would be the best opportunity for you to experience the reef, given your swimming ability. If you really don't feel comfortable snorkeling (but do try it if you can) there are other options for viewing the reef from the pontoon.

Cairns

Jungle Train, Kuranda and Skyrail - $200

This is great, we did it about three years ago. Gorgeous scenery both from the train and the skyrail, and Kuranda has Birdworld and a Butterfly Sanctuary (which we went to, gorgeous butterflies fluttering all around you).

Definitely do the snorkle of the reef, you will always regret that you didn't do it when you had the chance. Unless you have a fear of getting wet in ocean water, the noodles will keep you afloat and there are people watching all the time, if you can float (you will have floatation devices), you can snorkle.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Last time we were at the GBR I would say at least 30% of snorkelers used the floatation devices and also in the water there is a number of rest stations floating rings sort off just hold on to them and have a rest

Go on give it a try:D

IrishCraig,

The Aussie sun is fierce! Whatever you do make sure you have plenty of high SPF sunscreen and use it liberally. Also bring a hat with a big shady brim, a cap doesn't provide enough protection. Good sunglasses are a must as well. You also might like to pack a lightweight long-sleeve shirt to protect your arms. Outdoor stores often have shirts and hiking pants (that convert to shorts) that are made from fabric that protects you from the sun, and that dries quickly. They are very useful garments for any form of travel. We hate to see fried tourists :D

IrishCraig,

The Aussie sun is fierce! Whatever you do make sure you have plenty of high SPF sunscreen and use it liberally. Also bring a hat with a big shady brim, a cap doesn't provide enough protection. Good sunglasses are a must as well. You also might like to pack a lightweight long-sleeve shirt to protect your arms. Outdoor stores often have shirts and hiking pants (that convert to shorts) that are made from fabric that protects you from the sun, and that dries quickly. They are very useful garments for any form of travel. We hate to see fried tourists :D

Thanks for the advice, I know alot of tourists dont use an high enough sunscreen and dont even notice that they are being burned until its too late.

But will it be that hot at the end of March, is it not the end of the Aus summer and more the autumn/fall?

Im a SPF 100 man myself, my wife got a bad burning in Thailand a couple of years ago so we're more that careful this these days :cool:

The "value" of these tours is for me largely dependent on what they do/where they go to -- but also HOW LONG they are .

Can you please tell us the lengths of these tours.

Barry

I wasnt able to edit the other post so heres the length of each tour.

Brisbane

Brisbane Sights & Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- $79, 5 hours

Day at the Gold Coast- $79, 8 hours

Australia Zoo Express- $145, 6 hours

Airlie Beach

Tropical Rainforest & Countryside- $150, 5 hours 30 mins

Whitehaven Beach & Aussie BBQ Lunch - $230, 6 hours

Crocodile Safari - $190, 7 hours

Great Barrier Reef - $300, 7 hours

Cairns

Cairns & Rainforest Village - $50, 4 hours

Jungle Train & Amphibious Army Duck - $165, 4 hours

Jungle Train, Kuranda and Skyrail - $200, 6 hours

Exploring the Great Barrier Reef - $340, 8 hours

According to the Port of Brisbane website http://www.portbris.com.au/PortBris/media/General-Files/Shipping%20Operations/Cruise-Liner-Schedule-2014_1.pdf

The Rhapsody will be visiting Brisbane on 30th March 2014 and will be docking at the F1 Grain pier.

Rhapsody of

the Seas

30 March 2014

0800hrs

30 March 2014

1700hrs

279 ICS FI Grain

After looking at the posted tours for Brisbane the tour to Lone Pine is probably what I would recommend. It will take you via the city, southbank and up to the park and should be rewarding. Lone Pine is not that big, but has a lot of free roaming animals(kangaroos,emus,wallabies etc) that can be hand fed, ... and of course there is a specific place where you can cuddle and have your photo taken with a Koala (not many places in Australia allow this). There are also quite a few other exhibits and a nice place to have lunch. A two hour visit is generally ok.

cheers

Thanks for the port info, seeing that the ship doesnt dock at the main pier it would probably be easier just to do one of the ships tours from here.

I think the Brisbane and Lone Pine tour would probably suit us best, we'd get to see abit of the city and also the wildlife park on the same tour, which is probably better than just going to the Australia Zoo.

There is also a good case for a visit to the Gold Coast aswell:(

My only fear is that we'd get bored as ive mentioned before, we're not into lying on a beach all day (we could do that in Spain for 2 weeks and only cost us a quarter or less of what we paid).

I know theres theme parks on the Gold Coast but we've done the Orlando/Disney thing a few times already.

Thanks for the advice, I know alot of tourists dont use an high enough sunscreen and dont even notice that they are being burned until its too late.

But will it be that hot at the end of March, is it not the end of the Aus summer and more the autumn/fall?

Im a SPF 100 man myself, my wife got a bad burning in Thailand a couple of years ago so we're more that careful this these days :cool:

Yes, it will still be hot, especially as you head up the coast to Cairns. Anyway it's not the heat that burns you, it's the UV rays.

In all fairness, a lot of tourists from your part of the world just don't understand how fierce the sun is in Australia and NZ as it just isn't like that at home. I spent seven weeks touring Ireland and the UK last year, including in the July heat wave. I never used any sunscreen and I never got burnt, just lightly tanned. Try doing that in Australia and you'd fry in less than half an hour.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

In Qld, we don't really have 4 seasons -- we have two, Summer and Winter. When Summer comes, it generally comes with a "BANG!" . It is commonly hotter in Qld in the so-called Spring months than in the true Summer months. Likewise, Summer temperatures can hold on well after when you would normally think that Summer "should" be over. I can recall some VERY HOT late April's.

"Average" temperature charts are fairly well meaningless really. Sit with one foot in a bucket of boiling water and one foot in a bucket of ice water, and -on average- you should be quite comfortable :)

Sydney will (for you from Dublin) still be quite warm in March -- and the Queensland ports will be (for you) hot!! If you were to go to Cairns a couple of months earlier, it would be (for you) VERY hot. :)

Barry