No deviation vs deviation

pthjudy

This may sound ridiculous so please forgive me. If I accept the air I get from Oceania as is, I know they will somewhat take responsibility and do what they can to get me to the ship or to the next port. If I deviate and pay the $350 deviation fee (and the extra cost if warranted by my chosen flights) is their responsibility and efforts exactly the same? Or do they wipe their hands of it and say, "You thought you could pick better flights than Oceania? Well, guess what, you didn't, so you're on your own!"

This may sound ridiculous so please forgive me. If I accept the air I get from Oceania as is, I know they will somewhat take responsibility and do what they can to get me to the ship or to the next port. If I deviate and pay the $350 deviation fee (and the extra cost if warranted by my chosen flights) is their responsibility and efforts exactly the same? Or do they wipe their hands of it and say, "You thought you could pick better flights than Oceania? Well, guess what, you didn't, so you're on your own!"

Their responsibilities are the same in both cases. They have no responsibility as specified in the Terms and Conditions to get you to the ship or to the next port. That being said, oftentimes they will help you and in some cases provide hotels and pay the extra costs but, they have absolutely no obligation in either case. Generally when one deviates, they are getting to the embarkation port at least one day or more prior to the cruise so not getting to the ship becomes a non-issue. Don't believe I would pay the deviation fee and not be using it to arrive early.

Don't believe they would use the language in your last 2 sentences but, never know and since CC only accounts for about 5% of the people cruising, we have a very small cross-section of what any cruise line would do and does. Would not worry about this issue as very very few people actually miss the boat!!!

I haven't read the rules religiously, but think the above is correct.

We usually do our own air and plan on going in at least one day early (but usually more like 2-3 days). We have on occasion used the deviation, which has always worked out well.

Clearly, the real problem is that if you miss the ship you have to catch it. That hasn't happened to us, but I've spoken to some people where it HAS happened ... and at least one of those parties was very unhappy with the service they received. This happened about 8 years ago and so I don't remember the details, but as I recall there were flight cancellations in Southern California and the people involved did not catch the ship until Oslo ... which was about day 3 of the cruise. (Had they paid for a deviation? I don't recall that either. Since they were calling Oceania for help, and weren't happy with the response, perhaps not.)

On our first O cruise, we were leaving from Costa Rica going through the Canal. It was winter time and some people could not get there in time and the ship HAD to leave or miss its slot going through the Canal. I never did learn just when those people managed to catch the ship.

So these things can happen ... But normally, they don't.

When we have done a deviation, it's been for at least 2-3 days,maybe even 4. We also do our own hotel reservations.

Now, if you book the hotel package for one day in advance, which includes the deviation fare and transfer to the ship/hotel ... that can be worth it.

Looking at your last sentence, I'm not quite sure how to answer ...

Mura

I haven't read the rules religiously, but think the above is correct.

We usually do our own air and plan on going in at least one day early (but usually more like 2-3 days). We have on occasion used the deviation, which has always worked out well.

Clearly, the real problem is that if you miss the ship you have to catch it. That hasn't happened to us, but I've spoken to some people where it HAS happened ... and at least one of those parties was very unhappy with the service they received. This happened about 8 years ago and so I don't remember the details, but as I recall there were flight cancellations in Southern California and the people involved did not catch the ship until Oslo ... which was about day 3 of the cruise. (Had they paid for a deviation? I don't recall that either. Since they were calling Oceania for help, and weren't happy with the response, perhaps not.)

On our first O cruise, we were leaving from Costa Rica going through the Canal. It was winter time and some people could not get there in time and the ship HAD to leave or miss its slot going through the Canal. I never did learn just when those people managed to catch the ship.

So these things can happen ... But normally, they don't.

When we have done a deviation, it's been for at least 2-3 days,maybe even 4. We also do our own hotel reservations.

Now, if you book the hotel package for one day in advance, which includes the deviation fare and transfer to the ship/hotel ... that can be worth it.

Looking at your last sentence, I'm not quite sure how to answer ...

Mura

My last sentence was merely tongue in cheek. It was an easy way to ask my question, at least I thought it was. The deviation I would do would be only if I could get direct flights because the the ports where the cruise begins and ends could be problematic. I just don't want to go a day early although we always do just that. (We are actually doing another Oceania cruise from Miami in a few weeks and we got our own air and are going in a day early.) I want to trust that all will go smoothly and if not we have some recourse. Our cruise is for 16 days and if I miss a port, I will still have a cruise. My only question was whether a deviated flight and a non deviated flight are looked at and treated identically by Oceania. I guess that they are.

Hope when you say you want a Direct flight you really mean a non-stop flight. There really is a difference between non-stop and direct when discussing a flight and if it is truly a direct flight, it makes at least one stop and there is the possibility of a change of planes as well.

Non-stop means exactly what it says, no stops between you leaving and getting to your destination. Direct only means that you won't have a connection and you have a single flight number. Normally a direct flight will make a minimum of one or more stops, and you remain on the same aircraft. Occasionally a direct flight with one flight number will actually change planes at one of the stops but, it is difficult to tell if that will occur without checking each of the flights segments and can't always find out that way either.

Please be careful choosing your flights as you might just choose one that stops and you could then be delayed so always look for non-stops. The schedule will normally show if the plane stops but, not always. Best way is to compare flight times for your flight and others between the same two cities and make sure the length of the flights are within 10 minutes or so of each other.

Hope when you say you want a Direct flight you really mean a non-stop flight. There really is a difference between non-stop and direct when discussing a flight and if it is truly a direct flight, it makes at least one stop and there is the possibility of a change of planes as well.

Non-stop means exactly what it says, no stops between you leaving and getting to your destination. Direct only means that you won't have a connection and you have a single flight number. Normally a direct flight will make a minimum of one or more stops, and you remain on the same aircraft. Occasionally a direct flight with one flight number will actually change planes at one of the stops but, it is difficult to tell if that will occur without checking each of the flights segments and can't always find out that way either.

Please be careful choosing your flights as you might just choose one that stops and you could then be delayed so always look for non-stops. The schedule will normally show if the plane stops but, not always. Best way is to compare flight times for your flight and others between the same two cities and make sure the length of the flights are within 10 minutes or so of each other.

Yes, I of course meant non-stop. My plan is to deviate only if I can get non-stop. That's why I wanted to know if a deviated flight is treated the same as one given by Oceania 75 days out.

Also, please remember, if you have problems during the course of your flights, call the airline first, not O. Call your TA, if you have one, before O.

You are ultimately responsible for getting to your destination. O can act as an intermediary if you booked your air through them (deviated, or not), but when time is of the essence it is the slowest way of handling the problem.