Point of the PS kitchen?

andnosyd

If you wish to invite guests for dinner, a steward will serve you each course from the kitchen. There is a microwave so he could warm something that needed it. Think of it as a 'butler's pantry'.

Pantry PS VOLENDAM.

Only problem is you cannot HAL china in microwave as the 'gold' on the edge.

Just remember to ask steward to keep a supply of milk in the fridge.

The steward has key to access to the pantry to bring food etc to set up in the dining room.

Stephen

670565121_VODMPSPantry1.jpg.5ba29ae612d531af1e54b9ed902bbb97.jpg

1606866966_VODMPSPantry2.jpg.3f7670f7d94af0202c1da4297f8807c3.jpg

1270565528_VODMPSPantry3.jpg.2cfe1929caaf027ff354e45bf1e7bb49.jpg

1710562480_VODMPSPantry4.jpg.e4a8b92cfa8dda16748a9b8359ed3c1b.jpg

There is a coffee pot and coffee grounds. Just remember that the microwave is a commercial type microwave. It only takes a few seconds to reheat a cup of coffee. If you heat it for 30 seconds---it will be gone!!!

You got that right! I learned the hard way how powerful it is.

I think it sort of interesting that the PH kitchen has all the heating appliances that are considered fire hazards in other cabins: toaster, coffee pot, microwave.

I think the difference is they are safety approved quality and installation by ship's electricians.

If guests bring their own, who knows in what condition cords etc would be. And also very pertinent is the cabin is wired to be able to handle the load. All of our cabins could not safely support use by all of us of our own coffee pots etc

Just in case someone does some searches and uses this thread to read about the kitchens - the Prinsendam does not have the big commercial fridge nor a big pantry/kitchen.

It does have a nice bar area and microwave & coffee maker along with the dishes, etc, but the fridge is the standard one you will find in the other rooms on the ship. It's well laid out and actually a useful area because of the bar counter but it certainly is not like the PS in the fleet as far as the kitchen goes.

I think it sort of interesting that the PH kitchen has all the heating appliances that are considered fire hazards in other cabins: toaster, coffee pot, microwave.

Nieuw Amsterdam pantry

The ice box had a small problem -- block of ice that forced the door to remain open until maintenance came to fix it (same thing happened on the Westerdam years ago).

2013_Nieuw_Amsterdam_Ship_Pictures_030.JPG

2013_Nieuw_Amsterdam_Ship_Pictures_028.JPG

It was loaded with tons of soda, beers, etc.

2013_Nieuw_Amsterdam_Ship_Pictures_026.JPG

I think the difference is they are safety approved quality and installation by ship's electricians.

If guests bring their own, who knows in what condition cords etc would be. And also very pertinent is the cabin is wired to be able to handle the load. All of our cabins could not safely support use by all of us of our own coffee pots etc

Very true!!

KK: Love the glacier in the freezer!

It can be quite easy to overload electrical heat-producing appliances. I am sure the cabin stewards have some responsibility to ensure that all appliances are off. No doubt HAL has commercial breakers and a lot of heat detectors in these kitchens.

Fire just isn't something I want to deal with on a cruiseship!

Hello !

You must have a lot of «friends» and/or a big family to «entertain» these large spaces. :eek:

Did someone in CC could tell me if they had heard about a one person (solo cruiser) PS guest ? Curious about that..! :confused:

Holacanada from Quebec City

:)

Hello !

You must have a lot of «friends» and/or a big family to «entertain» these large spaces. :eek:

Did someone in CC could tell me if they had heard about a one person (solo cruiser) PS guest ? Curious about that..! :confused:

Just an FYI my DH and I just did 18 days in the PS and never entertained once. We certainly enjoyed all the space:) Would we do it again? Good question? We more than enjoy the space in our Neptune Suites which are certainly large enough for two and also to entertain JMO.

Hello !

I did it. It's truly way too much room for one. I got a good upsell and i will likely never have the opportunity to do it again.