Azamazing Evening Panama

BillC

The Azamazing evening in Panama on the Quest's 1/5/14 cruise was (to put it kindly) was a logistical challenge. The ship arrived late due to a delay in the crossing. Over 600 guests had to be tendered and then board small buses since we had to be taken into the small streets by the opera house. The only route to get there was on a road that was totally jammed by many thousands of people trying to get into a rock concert. Just about everyone arrived late so the planned reception in the park had to be cut short before we were moved into the opera house. Unfortunately the show did not start for about 45 minutes after we were seated. I think that more than a few people were disappointed, and gave their feedback to the officers who were throughout the ship getting feedback.

Yesterday we received a letter from Capt. Jose(who is wonderful) apologizing and advising that each room will receive a $100 refundable credit PLUS a 10% future cruise credit based on the amount that you paid for this cruise. Once again, Azamara listened and made things right. Thank you Azamara for once again solving a problem in a beyond what is required manner.

Thanks for your post Bill. I cannot imagine anyone having issues with how that was handled- but I am sure time will tell.

Again though, homework around some what ifs by Azamara Land team might have helped, particularly as transits can often be delayed

Agreed that it was extremely generous of Azamara but have to wonder what makes the logistical challenges any different from some of the other poorly executed Azamazing Evenings !!! Our evening on the November 26th West Indies cruise in St Kitts had challenges in transportation also and the site was not suitable for the demographics of the passengers either . not enough buses...late arrivals of guests ...no offers of drinks or food tid bits ..due to the late arrivals. There was no apologies made for any of this evenings fiascal !!! This is not the only Azamazing evening that has gone badly so why the special treatment for this particular evening ??? Just wondering !!! Seems to me that the saying " what's good for the goose is good for the gander " should be applied to other "dud" evenings !!!

Sorry rant over !!

Thanks Bill C for your excellent post! As we too experienced the Azamazing Evening in Panama City, we want to add our appreciation to the good folks at Azamara Club Cruises for quickly acknowledging there was a problem for some of the passengers who were transported to the middle of the city for the Azamazing evening and then quickly followed up with a "more than generous" compensation. Once again, we are wowed by the classy way Azamara Club Cruises treats ALL of their passengers. Impressive! We will be back!

Edited by GrandmaJ

Thanks Bill C for your excellent post! As we too experienced the Azamazing Evening in Panama City, we want to add our appreciation to the good folks at Azamara Club Cruises for quickly acknowledging there was a problem for some of the passengers who were transported to the middle of the city for the Azamazing evening and then quickly followed up with a "more than generous" compensation. Once again, we are wowed by the classy way Azamara Club Cruises treats ALL of their passengers. Impressive! We will be back!

Yes it certainly was a generous compensation but it is still too bad that ALL passengers on previous bad Azamazing experiences weren't treated to the same classy treatment. Yes it was impressive BUT should not the same treatment be applied across the board ?? We too will continue to sail with Azamara and enjoy them as always.

Agreed that it was extremely generous of Azamara but have to wonder what makes the logistical challenges any different from some of the other poorly executed Azamazing Evenings !!! Our evening on the November 26th West Indies cruise in St Kitts had challenges in transportation also and the site was not suitable for the demographics of the passengers either . not enough buses...late arrivals of guests ...no offers of drinks or food tid bits ..due to the late arrivals. There was no apologies made for any of this evenings fiascal !!! This is not the only Azamazing evening that has gone badly so why the special treatment for this particular evening ??? Just wondering !!! Seems to me that the saying " what's good for the goose is good for the gander " should be applied to other "dud" evenings !!!

Sorry rant over !!

Was my first thought also. It's time for Azamara to try something else. We were on a river cruise years ago that offered an "amazing evening in Vienna". We read the reviews...no ac, venue not spectacular etc. We stayed on the ship and had an amazing evening on a very quiet ship. Friends who went told us they should have listened to us!

This was our first experience with an Azamazing evening and we agree with Bill C. We felt the compensation was generous. How much could have been prevented by research by the Azamara staff is hard to say. It was the local people who were not helpful ensuring that all the lower seats were filled and were slow going to the upper floor and not bringing the buses back efficiently plus there were empty boxes for the President and the theatre brass. We thought they deserved kudos for trying.

This was our first experience with an Azamazing evening and we agree with Bill C. We felt the compensation was generous. How much could have been prevented by research by the Azamara staff is hard to say. It was the local people who were not helpful ensuring that all the lower seats were filled and were slow going to the upper floor and not bringing the buses back efficiently plus there were empty boxes for the President and the theatre brass. We thought they deserved kudos for trying.

Not disagreeing with the compensation being given just wondering why a precedent is being set for one event and nothing done for others ?? This was not the first Azamazing event that went sour. Also not blaming Azamara.

The Azamazing evening in Panama on the Quest's 1/5/14 cruise was (to put it kindly) was a logistical challenge. The ship arrived late due to a delay in the crossing. Over 600 guests had to be tendered and then board small buses since we had to be taken into the small streets by the opera house. The only route to get there was on a road that was totally jammed by many thousands of people trying to get into a rock concert. Just about everyone arrived late so the planned reception in the park had to be cut short before we were moved into the opera house. Unfortunately the show did not start for about 45 minutes after we were seated. I think that more than a few people were disappointed, and gave their feedback to the officers who were throughout the ship getting feedback.

Yesterday we received a letter from Capt. Jose(who is wonderful) apologizing and advising that each room will receive a $100 refundable credit PLUS a 10% future cruise credit based on the amount that you paid for this cruise. Once again, Azamara listened and made things right. Thank you Azamara for once again solving a problem in a beyond what is required manner.

Thanks for sharing Bill. Nice to hear that Azamara did the right thing. Have a wonderful time on Quest.

We were on the Panama Canal cruise and did the Azamazing evening. Some observations:

Yes, we tendered. And, as directed, we hung out (and read) in our room until our section was called for the tender. We got down there to find half the ship clustered around the doors waiting for their sections to be called. So that was one opportunity for many passengers to have avoided unnecessary waiting.

I knew there was a bus ride in both directions (that was explained). So I had my ebook reader with me. Of course, I almost always have something to read to occupy my time. I also enjoyed the sights on the way through the city to the plaza, especially of the old administration building from the French attempt at the canal. It was a white, ghostly facade in the night. I also found it interesting to watch the crowd lined up to get into the concert, especially to see the fashions.

We also enjoyed the plaza itself, and took pictures of the beautiful buildings around. I have some dietary restrictions, so I neither ate nor drank (except the water I brought) at the plaza, but had a great time speaking with the other couple at our table.

The theater itself was beautiful, as were the costumes (telling the history of Panama) the dancers wore. The dancing itself was pretty basic - mainly movement.

It should be pointed out that not everyone waited 45 minutes in the theater for the show to start. It took a while to get everyone inside, especially considering the later arrivals to the plaza.

Leaving went a lot faster, though, again, we left in waves, so some people had a longer wait. Frankly, given the logistics of what they faced, I think Azamara did a really good job in the organization. Now, one could argue that the logistics in a tender port should be an automatic reason not to do the evening event there, but (as an officer said), they're learning these things. Additionally, it had been a long day, as we were all up early (5:45am was the original time we were supposed to reach the first set of locks through the canal) and engaged all day.

I overheard from someone that the hors d'oeuvres ran out for the last arrivals to the plaza, which certainly would have been annoying.

In general, though, we had a nice enough time. It was a chance to get into Panama City, which we weren't going to have otherwise (our excursion the next day went back into Gatun Lake to see monkeys and other wildlife). In comparison to another night hanging out and doing whatever on the ship, I much preferred going off the boat. Of course, for us, the destination is why we cruise (the times that we do) rather than cruising itself.

In any event, the credit was certainly appreciated, but we personally felt it unnecessary. We still took it, though! :p

Edited by azevedan

I was there too. The. Dancing was good but it was only a 30 minute show and the ride was longer than the show, they were trying to seat people by bus number as I had wine and could not bring it in I went out and cane in later.

As you we'll know Jose had to deal with Mis to get us money. I have asked Philip about going back thru Panama and the show might be moved onto ship.

Skipping the one in Mexico ..

It seems it works better in Europe. U