Labadee, Falmouth

beshears

IndyCapt -

We loved the Hillside cabana! We had the second to last one up. Very short walk. Straddled Nellie's and Barefoot beaches. Great service - drinks delivered to cabana and the attendant set up our mats (comes with cabana ) by our chairs on the beach. Plenty of space in the cabana to relax or even take a nap. We had a beautiful view of the ship too. I think the price ($225 for Hillside or $250 for over water) is worth it and very favorable compared to Disney (Castaway Cay cabanas just went up to $599) or many high end resorts with pools that charge $400 or $500 a day for a cabana.

Jenn-Thanks for the feedback! We had a hillside cabana at Barefoot beach about 3 years ago and LOVED it! Did you get to pick out which hillside cabana you wanted or are they pre-assigned before you get there? Thanks again:)

When DW and I visited Falmouth last year we just stayed in the compound, because we were concerned about our safety. I would suggest taking a ships tour to see the sights, Jamaica is very beautiful.

DONT WRITE OFF JAMAICA ! ! !

We are in our 60's. Hired a tour company --Courtney Taylor--

Went to Irie Blue Hole and River Tubing on the White River.

This is the day we all talk about. Possibly risky in someones opinion. But we returned safe and sound. Tour guides had respect and showed us the best time. It was fun ! ! Exciting ! !

Edited by PJADS

Has anyone done the Zip Lining and River Tubing excursion through Royal Caribbean in Falmouth?

joekatie:

River tubing in jamaica was fantastic. Try it. Hire Courtney Taylor

go to Calypso river tubing. We are in our 60's and we enjoyed it . All ages. If you are really athletic, try Irie Blue Hole. My husband and his brother jumped off a 30 ft. cliff into beautiful blue river water. Would never be insured by ship excursions, but was a great experience.

I enjoyed Labadee. Best Zipline I have ever been on to date! :)

Falmouth was not too impressive due to the distance to many of the excursions from the port. The port area is nice though now that everything is completed. If I ever go back to Falmouth that will definitely be a ship day for me. :D

We are in our late 60s/70s. We are not beach people nor do we parasail, tube, zipline, etc. However, we really liked Labadee. There are plenty of trees with chaises under them for a great place to people watch and to read a book. We found it a really relaxing day. While Falmouth does not have much sightseeing close by, it has become my favorite place to shop. The stores are wonderful and the salespeople the least pushy of many of the islands. I have also gotten the best prices here. Even the native market is fun to walk thru without being accosted at every step.

Even though I've already given my opinion of Labadee and Falmouth I just want to add that Labadee is the reason we are sailing the Western Caribbean versus the Eastern.

We love Labadee! I'm so excited to go back!

DITTO!

WE LOVE Labadee.

Sea Ya

For those of you who have rented cabanas at Labadee' date=' did you notice if any of the beach cabanas were wheelchair accessible? Calling RC is on my to-do list, but sometimes you folks have more accurate information.[/quote']

If I recall they have beach wheelchairs (the type with very fat tires). I don't think the cabanas, at least the ones we have rented, are accessible. There is a small lip of a a few inches that you must navigate to step up to get inside the cabana. I don't recall seeing a ramp either.

There are attendants that staff the area that I'm sure would be able to assist but I do not know if it is possible on your own.

One good thing - the bathroom is nearby on Barefoot Beach.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for the info. When we travel we travel with my son's manual chair, simply because it weighs less and we can pick it up to get it over a step or two. Do you think that is possible with the beach wheelchair. I'm wondering if we can get a wheelchair in the cabana so we can transfer him into a lounge chair?

Thanks for the info. When we travel we travel with my son's manual chair' date=' simply because it weighs less and we can pick it up to get it over a step or two. Do you think that is possible with the beach wheelchair. I'm wondering if we can get a wheelchair in the cabana so we can transfer him into a lounge chair?[/quote']

I do think that is possible. As I mentioned also there are personnel on site that would be available to assist.

One thing I failed to mention is that there is a golf cart type tram that will pick you up at the pier and transport you to barefoot beach. Also, the lunch is prepared on site in the gated Barefoot Beach area rather than you having to walk to one of two remote picnic lunch areas.

Just my opinion but it might be a good option for you based on what you have shared.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

For those of you who have rented cabanas at Labadee' date=' did you notice if any of the beach cabanas were wheelchair accessible? Calling RC is on my to-do list, but sometimes you folks have more accurate information.[/quote']

Thanks for the info. When we travel we travel with my son's manual chair' date=' simply because it weighs less and we can pick it up to get it over a step or two. Do you think that is possible with the beach wheelchair. I'm wondering if we can get a wheelchair in the cabana so we can transfer him into a lounge chair?[/quote']

According to this post, there are at least 2 HC accessible cabanas.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40339507&postcount=5

Here's another posting with some more detailed information.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=38661366&postcount=2

Edited by SNJCruisers

Hello everyone, thank you for giving me your input, one way or another. It was appreciated. I'm sorry I did not get back sooner, but I didn't know for sure if my friend and I were going to be able to make the cruise, as surgery was coming up for her, but we are going to go. :)

In Labadee, someone mentioned a "tram?" Are you talking about one that goes over, or on the ground? Are the beaches at Labadee man made (if you know)? I am a shell collector, and was just curious.

We are planning on doing Freedom of the Seas, so if you want to give me any input on this ship, please feel free to do so.

I am making notes from your replies, thank you.:)

Hello everyone, thank you for giving me your input, one way or another. It was appreciated. I'm sorry I did not get back sooner, but I didn't know for sure if my friend and I were going to be able to make the cruise, as surgery was coming up for her, but we are going to go. :)

In Labadee, someone mentioned a "tram?" Are you talking about one that goes over, or on the ground? Are the beaches at Labadee man made (if you know)? I am a shell collector, and was just curious.

We are planning on doing Freedom of the Seas, so if you want to give me any input on this ship, please feel free to do so.

The tram is on the ground. It travels a specific route around Labadee. Hop on/off at any of the several stations. No charge.

The beaches at Labadee are natural, but there is a man made breakwall on Adreneline Beach to break up the waves. However, the shell collecting is not very good at all. You will find some, but not many. The beaches are not huge like on the Florida or Myrtle Beach coasts.

Labadee, and Falmouth are on the itinerary we are thinking of taking this spring. The other ports that are on this itinerary, we have been to.

If you have been to Labadee, or Falmouth, would you tell me (yes, I know this is your opinion) what there is to see/do there?

Labadee is a relaxing day. No rushing, blue/green water, and activities to do, such as jet ski, the coaster, the zipline and other things. Haiti is a poor, country, and Labadee is an isolated part of the island. It might not be the best beach in the world, but I have never found anything wrong with it. You have easy access to the ship, some shopping to support the local economy, a regular, not fancy, picnic lunch to enjoy, or the option to eat on the ship. Some areas are rocky, but It never bothered me.

Falmouth is exciting. Like all independant caribbean countries, it is poor, looks run down etc. However, one must remember that almost all resources must be imported. Islands are not easy to live on, and costly. Part of going to places like Jamaica is to explore a new country, and embrace what they have to offer. Growing up in cities, I have to say, I really don't have any issues with run down cities. It does not make the people. Once you exit the duty free area, you will find pushy people, and they use "special herb smokes" , so just say no to any offer to purchase. Shopping is better once outside the duty free port area. Additionally, Jamaica has many tours to pick from, that will let you see the real Jamaica, and remember, you are no longer back home, this is their home, and just like everyone else, they are proud to be independant.

The tram is like a large golf cart that will take you two and from the cabanas. I believe the first two over the water cabanas are accessible but you may want to contact the concierge and see if you can get one of those pre-assigned since you have a need for one that's accessible. There didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they assigned the cabanas. We loved the cabanas and lived Labadee. My family and friends that we travel with have all said that we would do The same cruise all over again primarily for Labadee. And, yes, we would definitely so a cabana again!!! :)

You will love Freedom of the Seas! In 2011, several family members and friends did the Eastern Caribbean and we loves FOS so much, most of us came back again two years later to do the Western!! Enjoy!!

When we cruise, we pick the cruise that goes to Labadee... it is our favorite island. So much to do and so beautiful. The water is tourqouise but you do need water shoes as it is not a soft and sandy beach. We zipline, parasail, snorkle, ride the water cycles and hate to leave when its time to board the ship.

Last time in Falmouth, we did the ship excursion... Iberostar Hotel for a day. All inclusive hotel, drinks, food, good service, right on the beach and has a pool. It was a great day.

Cozumel we went to Mr Sanchos, pool, beach, food, drinks and plenty to do.

Jenn-Thanks for the feedback! We had a hillside cabana at Barefoot beach about 3 years ago and LOVED it! Did you get to pick out which hillside cabana you wanted or are they pre-assigned before you get there? Thanks again:)

Hi - ours was not preassigned. My impression was that they filled them first com first served with the earliest arrival getting the first cabana as you walk up the hill from Barefoot beach. We got the second to last one but it was a great location with a beautiful view of the ship. If you are closer to Barefoot then you may have a slightly longer walk to Nellie's.

Just did these as a first time cruiser. Spent the day laying on Nellies beach in Labadee. Beautiful day and beautiful clear water.

In Falmouth we booked Doctors Cave Beach with Reggae Tours. What an amazing company. They really teach you a lot and make sure you are safe and sound. We had a lot of blast in the rain, body surfing waves in a normally calm beach. :)