Has the Cruise Critic I.T. dept flipped?

wallie5446

As you surf the web, cookies set in your machine and sometimes you see ads of places you have been to, or sometimes you might see something you have an interest in. As we are cruisers here and might sail one line or another, it will show you *another* cruise line that you might think about. (Carnival can HOPE you will cross over, right?!:p) You can clear your cache from time to time, but the cookies will always reset because you will begin surfing the net again. LOL, it's a vicious cycle!:eek:

I personally don't block the ads.....I've had three computer weenies under my roof, the biggest one being my hubby and he never has either. The ads pay for the space you are looking at. They aren't that big of a deal to me.

My ad came up for Best Buy....LOL, I was looking at Apple iPad's a few days ago!:p

Keep in mind, these free websites are made possible by selling advertising.

The biggest example is Google and other search engins, which make a fortune from advertising, just like TV does.

Nobody is worse than some of the cable TV channels which can stuff a half a dozen ads between show segments.

Then there is Wikipedia, which sells no advertising, and asks for contributions to fund the site, not unlike public TV.

Keep in mind, these free websites are made possible by selling advertising.

The biggest example is Google and other search engins, which make a fortune from advertising, just like TV does.

Nobody is worse than some of the cable TV channels which can stuff a half a dozen ads between show segments.

Nobody is worse than Facebook. Not only do they sell ad space, they also sell your information to advertisers. It is amazing how much money the Facebook developers made - several billionaires - from a "free" service.

I can understand selling ad space as revenue to keep the site running. But when upper management become billionaires in the process, that is too much advertising.

When they become filthy rich from ad revenue, they can afford my ignoring their ads.

Edited by fortinweb