To sue or not????

Aboat1

I think I may sue for gaining weight on the cruise. After all cruise lines force you to overeat. Otherwise you'd hurt the wait staffs feelings!

I am retired Coast Guard. Years ago a sport fisher ran up on some rocks and sank (Captains fault). The first mate (not the brightest star in the sky) was rescued by helicopter. Due to circumstances the helo crew chose to use the "horse collar" for the hoist (usually it's a basket for civilians). This "licensed" first mate wasn't smart enough to wrap the collar around herself. Instead she hung one arm in the collar. The hoist was successful, but she had some minor muscle injury to her arm. In her lawsuit against the Coast Guard she included the injuries suffered in the hoist that saved her life. The alternative was letting her drown.

Maybe I'll just sue the cruiseline for the depression I suffer when I'm not cruising. If I didn't enjoy it so much I wouldn't pine away from having to be home and working wishing I was cruising. IT'S ALL ROYAL CARIBBEAN'S FAULT! :)

Bars and restaurants are sued all the time for over-serving alcohol...she will prob win with an out of court settlement. Esp if she has the Florida attorney who sues A LOT of cruise lines.

This could mean your beverage package will some day have a limit of the number of drinks per day......... :eek::mad:

Has she added to her claim the good ole...can't have sex due to the trauma? Ya gotta love that claim... next to impossible to prove.

Edited by 20pluscruises

I wish companies would fight back and not settle this type of ridiculous lawsuit.

Until that starts to happen, people will continue to file this type of lawsuit and continue to make $$$. Other people see that happen, and when something happens to them, they see a path to riches.

I wish companies would fight back and not settle this type of ridiculous lawsuit.

Until that starts to happen, people will continue to file this type of lawsuit and continue to make $$$. Other people see that happen, and when something happens to them, they see a path to riches.

Exactly!!!

I read that cruise critic article about her and I couldn't stop laughing. It said she's suing the ship's docs because she suffered a lung contusion. Contusion from what?? She fell in the water! Wow! That water must have been so tough that it can penetrate a person's lungs.

Edited by Erik101

I truly am glad she is ok and was rescued. Having said that, I hope she doesn't get a single penny out of this. She needs to take some personal responsibility for her actions.

But, there are lots of lawyers that would love to get a hold of this one for the notoriety. My advise to the "victim" of her own stupidity?........decrease the volume of your alcohol consumption or wear a life jacket.

I would love to be on that jury.

I would just sit there and laugh. And laugh. And laugh.

If I was on that jury, I would be very quite.

When it came time to cast my vote, I would see that she gets what she is entitled to get. Her attorney would not be a happy camper!

the cruise company (their insurance) will settle they won't take the chance of going to court. right or wrong that is what will happen.

unlimited drink package, free drinks to keep gambling, evidently bartenders kept serving her after she was hammered. they will settle and she will never be allowed to tell how much she got.

She may file a suit but it will never go to trial. And neither will the cruise line's lawyers offer to settle out of court.

One reason is that the woman won't have money to chase Carnival through all the jurisdictional gymnastics. Another is that while cruise lines are required to try to search and rescue, they are not required to find anyone who cannot be found.

So our mamsel in distress should be happy that she was found. Unless she wanted to die.

Guess she has the money to waste on a law suit that she will lose.

She may file a suit but it will never go to trial. And neither will the cruise line's lawyers offer to settle out of court.

One reason is that the woman won't have money to chase Carnival through all the jurisdictional gymnastics. Another is that while cruise lines are required to try to search and rescue, they are not required to find anyone who cannot be found.

So our mamsel in distress should be happy that she was found. Unless she wanted to die.

these type of lawyers don't charge up front they get a percentage of the settlement. it won't cost her a dime of up front money. if these lawyers didn't think they had a chance of winning and getting their percentage they would have never taken the case.

I worked in a large hospital system for over 20 years and very, very few of the almost daily lawsuits ever saw the inside of a count room. The people and lawyers simply signed the non-disclosure agreement and took the cash to the bank.

What do you mean by "jurisdictional gymnastics?" :confused: Jurisdiction is clear. Venue is the Southern District of Florida, Miami.

This ridiculous person should be thankful she is alive and not like the poor 18 year old Marine who died treading water in a swimming pool during an exercise. Her lawyer should be disbarred for taking on such a stupid case.

Here's the link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/17/marine-dies-treading-swim-test_n_4620761.html

The story made Australian news today. It was the tail end story after the real 'news' (you know where they show cute Pandas and other funny things).

The reported was very 'tongue in cheek' during the report -showing the clip any times and talking about a drunk cruiser. He then chuckled and said that she was suing. He gave the lady the respect she deserved!

Raina

This story was on ABC's 20/20 last night. Instead of suing, she should be thankful she is alive. She is 100% liable for her own actions.

Sadly in this litigious society we live in, lawsuits are the norm. Carnival will give her some un-disclosed amount to shut up and go away. She should be banned from ever going on any cruise line ever again!

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/video/controversy-man-overboard-systems-21581889

The cruise line should file a counterclaim against her for the cost incurred in having to rescue her. Sadly, they'll probably settle with her to have the suit go away, which raises the cost of doing business for the cruise lines and is passed on to the rest of us in the form of higher prices for bookings.