Difference with AC booking or Last Minute Travel?

mexico8

I am comparing air fares to fly from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale in late April. There is a slight reduction if I book the exact same flight with Last Minute Travel than if I book directly with Air Canada. I don't know if I have the same safeguards if I book with Last Minute Travel - i.e., if flight is delayed or postponed etc. I am flying in the night before the cruise so I feel comfortable with that. Any information is appreciated.

Wendy

I am comparing air fares to fly from Ottawa to Fort Lauderdale in late April. There is a slight reduction if I book the exact same flight with Last Minute Travel than if I book directly with Air Canada. I don't know if I have the same safeguards if I book with Last Minute Travel - i.e., if flight is delayed or postponed etc. I am flying in the night before the cruise so I feel comfortable with that. Any information is appreciated.

Wendy

Hard to tell without looking at booking class. That said the differences on Air Canada tend to be the fees charged for voluntary changes and seat selection etc. For in-volentry rerouting because of delays etc. there tends not to be much difference.

The tickets bought directly from AC will be published fare tickets. Do you know the fare basis of the tickets from LMT? Do you know if it is a published or unpublished fare (and if you can't tell, or don't know the difference, then you can't know)?

Though it may be the "same flight", if the price is different, then it is NOT the same ticket.

You may want to read THIS THREAD and especially this post.

My own advice and practice is that it is not worth trying to squeeze out those last few dollars of savings. Somehow I recall something about penny wise and so forth.....

Hard to tell without looking at booking class. That said the differences on Air Canada tend to be the fees charged for voluntary changes and seat selection etc. For in-volentry rerouting because of delays etc. there tends not to be much difference.
It is likely more than just booking class that is at play. The OP may also be in the situation of published vs unpublished fare, even in the same booking class bucket. If they are bulk tickets, then you have much more in flux than just seat selection and change fees. Your comment is more about one published fare vs a different published fare.

So....we really need more info from the OP. Otherwise, we are still speculating.

It is likely more than just booking class that is at play. The OP may also be in the situation of published vs unpublished fare, even in the same booking class bucket. If they are bulk tickets, then you have much more in flux than just seat selection and change fees. Your comment is more about one published fare vs a different published fare.

So....we really need more info from the OP. Otherwise, we are still speculating.

My experience with Air Canada (either on published, unpublished or reward fares) is what matters after you have checked in for rerouting on flight delays etc is status more than the original fare base. For things like standby list is your frequent flyer status 35K, 50K, etc. Star Gold etc. that is more important. I would agree the published vrs unpublished is an issue with making changes before checkin. It may be different on different airlines.

I doubt there is any difference but if the price is only slightly better, I would probably just stick with buying from AC directly.

I googled last minute travel and saw a few potential negative posts but like any forum (this one included) it is difficult to know what's fact and when someone just has a beef. That being said if you google AC right now you'll see more than a few negative posts :p

My experience with Air Canada (either on published, unpublished or reward fares) is what matters after you have checked in for rerouting on flight delays etc is status more than the original fare base.
But, if you have a non-reroutable bulk ticket, you CAN'T "check in" for rerouting. Ditto with non-endorsable tickets.

But, if you have a non-reroutable bulk ticket, you CAN'T "check in" for rerouting. Ditto with non-endorsable tickets.

The Air Canada guidelines for IROP apply to all flights books in all classes from all sources.

I agree the non-reroutable/non-endorsable restrictions apply before your ticket is under the control of the airport staff. In an IROP situation my experience is they just apply their IROP policy. It may be different on other carriers.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/drs/documents/irop.pdf

Also if interest is the IROP policy at Air Canada states they will route to the next port of call for the cruise ship when the delay is do to something other that weather....

"Your customers booked with a Cruise Line Company and affected by a flight delay or cancellation under Air Canada’s control (i.e. mechanical) which causes them to miss their cruise, are entitled to transportation to the next port-of-call without additional cost to the customer or cruise line. Call Air Canada Call to process."

Edited by em-sk

We have decided to book with Air Canada. I don't understand some of the airline jargon and I don't know all the fine print but I think it's probably in our best interest to book with Air Canada. Thank you for all your input - much appreciated.

Wendy

We have decided to book with Air Canada. I don't understand some of the airline jargon and I don't know all the fine print but I think it's probably in our best interest to book with Air Canada. Thank you for all your input - much appreciated.

Wendy

Wise choice

The Air Canada guidelines for IROP apply to all flights books in all classes from all sources.

I agree the non-reroutable/non-endorsable restrictions apply before your ticket is under the control of the airport staff. In an IROP situation my experience is they just apply their IROP policy. It may be different on other carriers.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/drs/documents/irop.pdf

Also if interest is the IROP policy at Air Canada states they will route to the next port of call for the cruise ship when the delay is do to something other that weather....

"Your customers booked with a Cruise Line Company and affected by a flight delay or cancellation under Air Canada’s control (i.e. mechanical) which causes them to miss their cruise, are entitled to transportation to the next port-of-call without additional cost to the customer or cruise line. Call Air Canada Call to process."

So is this saying , if you miss a cruise because your AC flight went mechanical they should fly you yo the first port of call? Would it be the same if you book directly through AC and not a travel agency? I think I read a thread about this happening to someone in Miami and they were flown to Nassau, and people were posting that AC should not have done this.

If so might sway me to book an AC over Westjet as my trip cancellation plan on my credit card does not cover mechanical delays. ::eek: Usually fly down 2 days early but that is not always possible.

So is this saying , if you miss a cruise because your AC flight went mechanical they should fly you yo the first port of call? Would it be the same if you book directly through AC and not a travel agency? I think I read a thread about this happening to someone in Miami and they were flown to Nassau, and people were posting that AC should not have done this.

If so might sway me to book an AC over Westjet as my trip cancellation plan on my credit card does not cover mechanical delays. ::eek: Usually fly down 2 days early but that is not always possible.

Personally, I like going down the day before. That is their published policy, (regardless of how the ticket was booked). Their policy is to reroute you to the next port applies to cases that are their fault (i.e. Mechanical) but not when it is not their fault (i.e. security, snow storms etc.).

Edited by em-sk

My experience with Air Canada (either on published, unpublished or reward fares) is what matters after you have checked in for rerouting on flight delays etc is status more than the original fare base. For things like standby list is your frequent flyer status 35K, 50K, etc. Star Gold etc. that is more important. I would agree the published vrs unpublished is an issue with making changes before checkin. It may be different on different airlines.

Noticed that you have been on the Epic and we are taking a 25 day cruise on the Epic in October. Do you know if they had bridge games on the ship? (My husband is hoping they have ACBL sanctioned bridge games). Thanks.

Wendy

Noticed that you have been on the Epic and we are taking a 25 day cruise on the Epic in October. Do you know if they had bridge games on the ship? (My husband is hoping they have ACBL sanctioned bridge games). Thanks.

Wendy

As I don't play Bridge, I actually don't know. On the other NCL ships there is usually a reasonable size library and a board games room next door. I remember the Epic had a library area, with I believe some board games. For the biggest ship in the fleet it feels like it has the smallest library and board games area in the fleet.

As I don't play Bridge, I actually don't know. On the other NCL ships there is usually a reasonable size library and a board games room next door. I remember the Epic had a library area, with I believe some board games. For the biggest ship in the fleet it feels like it has the smallest library and board games area in the fleet.

Thanks for the info. Found out there are no ACBL games on the Epic.

Wendy