Alaska Land Tour

orgutierrez

I will probably be on the Crown Princess sailing out of Whittier on the 23rd August 2014. My flight from Seattle is arriving at 11:00 PM in Anchorage, AK on the 20th August. I have researched a little bit and we don't have enough time to do Denali and McKinley and we also prefer something more calm than having to do so many miles in a couple days. I was thinking of renting a car in Anchorage on the 21st and dropping it off in Whittier on the 23rd, the price I have found is fine. How would you see doing this route for this couple of days:

- Anchorage to Kenai. Kenai sightseeing. Night in Kenai.

- Kenai to Seward. Seward Sightseeing (Kenai Fjords and Exit Glacier). Night in Seward.

- Seward to Whittier. Whittier sightseeing. Embark the cruise.

Would you add or modify this itinerary? What can we do in Kenai? Is there any place that we shouldn't miss in this area of Alaska? Any recommendation for sightseeing?

Thanks a lot.

The only rental car vendor in Whittier is AVIS so that will be your only option if you go with a one-way rental. The drop off fee will be high but having a car will buy you a lot of time which you don't have much of.

The town of Kenai doesn't offer much unless you're an avid fisherman. Unless you have specific plans there, I'd skip it.

8/21 leisurely drive to Seward, many stops along the way .... the Wildlife Conservation Center, pan for gold, hike, salmon viewing platforms at Williwaw, hikes, Alyeska Resort,etc

(read the drives in this link called ' turnagain arm', ' portage valley & Whittier", and 'Anc to seward' for suggested stopping points.

http://www.alaska.org/things-to-do/scenic-drives

8/22 Kenai Fjords cruise ( at least 6 hrs).

8/23 Exit Glacier. Drive towards Whittier and do any activities or sights you missed on the drive down. You need to go thru a tunnel to access Whittier. It's only open once an hour .... on the half hour going INTO whittier. You will probably need to catch the 4:30pm tunnel opening in order to return the car by 5pm closing. (google, anton anderson tunnel)

Look at the town web site for other options. http://www.seward.com

Given the amount of time available, I would suggest overnighting in Anchorage and then picking up a rental car on August 21st. As Mapleleaves as indicated, the drive from Anchorage to Seward is lovely, with numerous interesting places to stop. And for a visitor there are many more interesting sights and activities in Seward than in Kenai.

You are referring to Kenai? Why there? It is a small city on the Cook Inlet? It makes a lot more sense and has plenty of activities to fill the time. if you just went to Seward. A one way car rental, is an excellent use of your short time.

We are also visiting in August and sailing out of Seward on the 29th. We also will be hiring a car and planned to spend 3 days from Anchorage to Seward. The other days will be between Anchorage and Denali.

We had thought of also visiting Kenai but dismissed that idea unless we were prepared to travel all the way to Homer and stay in that area before travelling back to Seward.

Our biggest planning disappointment is that we won't be able to do the longer 7-9 hour National Park cruise with either MM or Kenai Fiords Cruises as they both stop running them after Aug 24 (confirmed by email) and only offer the 6 hour or shorter for our time span:mad:

Hopefully we can get a Kayaking trip out to the Glaciers instead.

Hugh