Dress Code questions

nadeki

We will be traveling to Italy this summer and visiting the churches etc. I respect the requirements of covering knees and shoulders. Does this apply to children ages 8 and 10. And, for a woman does covering your knees mean not wearing a dress or skirt but long pants? Funny I think dresses look so much nicer than pants.

Thanks

We will be traveling to Italy this summer and visiting the churches etc. I respect the requirements of covering knees and shoulders. Does this apply to children ages 8 and 10. And, for a woman does covering your knees mean not wearing a dress or skirt but long pants? Funny I think dresses look so much nicer than pants.

Thanks

The dress codes apply to ALL ages.Dress and skirts of lenght are fine.

One recommendation that could be useful is to wear pants with zip off legs if it's extra hot--

We were in Rome early last May and it was very warm--I wore mid-calf capris and a sleeveless top but took a light short-sleeved sweater for churches--and needed it!

BTW, they are VERY strict about this rule.

On our visit last summer I saw young women in St Peters basilica wearing shorts and sleeveless tops. I noticed that the security stopped a guy who was wearing some other religion clothes but not people who were wearing shorts. It was +35C and very crowded, so that may be a reason that they did not enforce those rules. Before going to Italy I read the forum and was preparing to wear appropriate clothes, even my kids who are 9 and 11 years old were wearing a long (light, cotton) pants but it was not really necessary. This is how it was on our visit but it can be the opposite. I would not take any chances. So be prepared.