Ship attire for a newbie

kanadakid

I am planning to do a beach vacation in Fla after my cruise so trying to pack for two different trips. SO, I am wondering If wearing a nice pair of dark running shoes could accompany a shirt and slacks on the fancy dress night at dinner, as I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of dress shoes for 2 weeks for the sake of a single lobster :) Second, I understand that as a solo traveller I should be careful not to leave my things on the beach while I swim as they could vanish. I have a pair of shorts that have a zippered pocket that I can carry my S&S card, Driver's license (leaving passport aboard) and some $US that won't fall out. Just want to make sure that I can also wear these in the pool, or do they have a rule that it is swimwear only, and no shorts?

Lastly, I read that I can disembark solo by carrying my bags and that this is done by deck, and by 'zone'. Just wondering If anyone knows if I have to register the day before port to be added to a zone. If done by deck does anyone know if the deck order for disembarking is top to bottom or vice versa?

Thanks much!

@ kk

I wear Merrell Barrado's for 'dress' all the time -- everything but formals and I might try that next.

http://www.shoesopia.com/shop/img/1/1517.jpg

I ran a black sharpie (permanent marker) down the "MERRELL" logo. Tell the shoe police that you have a foot condition (such as Morton's Neuroma, which is what I do have) that prevents wearing dress shoes! (Really, there is no footwear police. Wear all black and rock it sister!)

The alternative is to eat at the buffet OR an upcharge restaurant on formal night(s). Smart casual is a GO there anytime.

I think it's very likely that the pools onboard the ship will have swimwear-only rules. But a swimsuit-bottom takes up very little room in your bag. You can ask here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

... but that is a pretty specific question for fellow cruisers to have encountered!

Ask on the Carnival board about the disembarkation question, too, as that will be line-specific. On NCL, EZ-walkoff was NOT by deck/zone, only if you had left your larger bags out for the porters did you get a color-zone.

Thanks Crystal - Actually - I have that! (Metatarstalgia) so have orthotic inserts. Thanks for that! I will mention it. As a first time cruiser I am determined to check out the formal night - Just want to do so without looking out of place and packing as lightly as possible. Cheers!

Within the first couple of days of your cruise you will get a form to complete indicating what your plans are for disembarking the ship at the end of the cruise.

If you wish to disembark on your own -- mark that off. Remember that you have to be able to carry all your own luggage with no help from crew on the ship or in the terminal.

The last full day of the cruise you will get a letter indicating what time and what deck you will be leaving the ship. Self disembarking people are the first ones off the ship -- usually happens around 7:30 AM.

I am planning to do a beach vacation in Fla after my cruise so trying to pack for two different trips. SO, I am wondering If wearing a nice pair of dark running shoes could accompany a shirt and slacks on the fancy dress night at dinner, as I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of dress shoes for 2 weeks for the sake of a single lobster :) Second, I understand that as a solo traveller I should be careful not to leave my things on the beach while I swim as they could vanish. I have a pair of shorts that have a zippered pocket that I can carry my S&S card, Driver's license (leaving passport aboard) and some $US that won't fall out. Just want to make sure that I can also wear these in the pool, or do they have a rule that it is swimwear only, and no shorts?

Lastly, I read that I can disembark solo by carrying my bags and that this is done by deck, and by 'zone'. Just wondering If anyone knows if I have to register the day before port to be added to a zone. If done by deck does anyone know if the deck order for disembarking is top to bottom or vice versa?

Thanks much!

1. Formal dress rules vary by cruise line.

2. So do pool rules.

3. And disembarkation rules.

4. Which line are you on?

I am planning to do a beach vacation in Fla after my cruise so trying to pack for two different trips. SO, I am wondering If wearing a nice pair of dark running shoes could accompany a shirt and slacks on the fancy dress night at dinner, as I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of dress shoes for 2 weeks for the sake of a single lobster :) Second,

I wear beige Merrel trail shoes to formal nights and have never been questioned. Many folks have foot ailments and are unable to wear dress shoes. My feet are underneath my table and other diners will see only my perfect shirt/tie and sports jacket.

My cruise footwear is sandals for the beach, if applicable, or hiking boots for hiking excursions. My second pair of shoes is my Merrel's.

Enjoy your cruise.

1. Formal dress rules vary by cruise line.

2. So do pool rules.

3. And disembarkation rules.

4. Which line are you on?

O K. I am on Carnival Freedom leaving Sat. I found out that a jacket is not mandatory but found something thin that will serve the purpose so a good compromise. Also found swim trunx with a zippered pocket so will serve double duty on/off board as I want to keep my S&S card, Dr Lic, AMEX and some cash in my pocket while I swim at the beach - just in case the worse case scenario were to happen. I chatted w Guest svc today and they stated that self-debark starts at 0930 for those carrying their bags so will try that as I have a car rental booked for 10 am-ish.

I wear beige Merrel trail shoes to formal nights and have never been questioned.

My cruise footwear is sandals for the beach, if applicable, or hiking boots for hiking excursions. My second pair of shoes is my Merrel's.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks I checked out the pic that Crystal had attached and they look really comfy - May have to check those out when I get stateside on Wed!

O K. I am on Carnival Freedom leaving Sat. I found out that a jacket is not mandatory but found something thin that will serve the purpose so a good compromise. Also found swim trunx with a zippered pocket so will serve double duty on/off board as I want to keep my S&S card, Dr Lic, AMEX and some cash in my pocket while I swim at the beach - just in case the worse case scenario were to happen. I chatted w Guest svc today and they stated that self-debark starts at 0930 for those carrying their bags so will try that as I have a car rental booked for 10 am-ish.

you might to reconsider taking a credit card to the islands.

Carnival is just way laid back. U will find so many different means of dress even on the formal nights.

@ KK

Oops! Those Merrells I linked are women's shoes! I'm not used to men asking about dress shoes!

My husband does two weeks anywhere on earth with two pair of shoes: loafers (always wearing the loafers for airline legs of trips) and lace-up shoes that are broken in and comfy enough to be walking shoes.

Now as I may have mentioned, our recent cruises have not included dressy-dress, but if they had, he would just have made his loafer choice BLACK and not the boat-shoe he took. Your running shoes will be fine with a pair of dark slacks and your jacket stand in!

Enjoy your trip!

Omg! My hubby is wearing his tennis shoes on the plane, taking flip flops for wearing in the room, to the pool; water shoes for wear on the snorkeling and kayaking trips; dress shoes for, the dinners and a pr of open weave shoes for casual wear. We' ll be traveling for 2 weeks. I'm wearing tennisshoes on flight, taking flip flops for cabin and pool, tevas for beach, snorkeling and kayaking and dress shoes for dinner that goes with all my capris and formal wear. Carrying the shoes in our carry on for the plane trip, then will repack once we get to our precruise hotel.

I am planning to do a beach vacation in Fla after my cruise so trying to pack for two different trips. SO, I am wondering If wearing a nice pair of dark running shoes could accompany a shirt and slacks on the fancy dress night at dinner, as I don't want to have to carry an extra pair of dress shoes for 2 weeks for the sake of a single lobster :)

Second, I understand that as a solo traveller I should be careful not to leave my things on the beach while I swim as they could vanish. I have a pair of shorts that have a zippered pocket that I can carry my S&S card, Driver's license (leaving passport aboard) and some $US that won't fall out. Just want to make sure that I can also wear these in the pool, or do they have a rule that it is swimwear only, and no shorts?

Thanks much!

Don`t brink the extra pair of dress shoes. Most cruises require a jacket for formal night (check the board for your cruise) and most just have a no flip flop rule in the dining room but don`t restrict other types of shoes.

Shorts are fine in & around the pool.

You`ll get paperwork in your cabin one day to pick how you disembark. I was worried about this too before cruising, now I realize how simple they make disembarkement for us. Fear not. if you're carrying your own it's usually a set place to disembark but it's not a set time, you go when you're ready. We woke up on our own, went for breakfast, went back to our room to grab our bags, then walked off the ship, all without looking at a clock.