Beverage package, is it worth it?

molly5673

I don't think an "aussie" and a "Yank" sailing on the same cruise will have different drink prices and/or limits on a drink package. All prices are in US dollars.

You're correct, but since the drink menus have different prices (because they include gratuity) for cruises based out of Australia, it makes sense that the drink packages have different limits, so that in the end the drink package includes the same drinks as ships sailing out of the US.

With the Soda Package

Ordering this package before hand:

ONE the Soda cup will be waiting for you in your room. Two the Written Coca-Cola Logo will be part of yor SeaPass card, no worries about a sticker comming off your card. Three you will be able to get Soda at lunch in the WindJammer on Boarding day without having to line up to order the Package.

How will you be able to get soda in the Windjammer as soon as you board using the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine if your cup that you need to use the machine is locked up in your cabin that you do not have access to until after lunch? This will only work if you either wait to eat your lunch until you're able to get into your cabin to get your cup or just go to a bar and use your card to get a fountain soda from the gun.

If you wait until you board to buy the package, then you will get the cup and you can also use OBC to pay for it. You can buy it at any bar, so there is no need to wait in the long line at the tables. Also, if RCI is like their sister line Celebrity, you'll even be able to get a new card printed with your drinks package embossed on it so you do not have to worry about the sticker falling off or fading.

I don't think an "aussie" and a "Yank" sailing on the same cruise will have different drink prices and/or limits on a drink package. All prices are in US dollars.

You're correct, but since the drink menus have different prices (because they include gratuity) for cruises based out of Australia, it makes sense that the drink packages have different limits, so that in the end the drink package includes the same drinks as ships sailing out of the US.

Bob, thanks for verifying my hypothesis as to why there is a difference in the package limits. Because of the cultural differences regarding tipping, many of the cruises down under and sometimes even ones based in Europe will have the 15% gratuity already factored into the price of a la carte drinks so that the drinks seem to be more expensive compared to the prices on cruises based out of the US.

How will you be able to get soda in the Windjammer as soon as you board using the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine if your cup that you need to use the machine is locked up in your cabin that you do not have access to until after lunch? This will only work if you either wait to eat your lunch until you're able to get into your cabin to get your cup or just go to a bar and use your card to get a fountain soda from the gun.

If you wait until you board to buy the package, then you will get the cup and you can also use OBC to pay for it. You can buy it at any bar, so there is no need to wait in the long line at the tables. Also, if RCI is like their sister line Celebrity, you'll even be able to get a new card printed with your drinks package embossed on it so you do not have to worry about the sticker falling off or fading.

Windjammer at Independence actually had a bar at the end of both drinking stations with an attendant and fountain soda using your card without your cup. As a matter of fact, I almost always forgot to carry my cup with me and got soda in a regular glass. They go by the sticker on your seapass card.

Edited by nednrom

Windjammer at Independence actually had a bar at the end of both drinking stations with an attendant and fountain soda using your card without your cup. As a matter of fact, I almost always forgot to carry my cup with me and got soda in a regular glass. They go by the sticker on your seapass card.
I mentioned in my previous post that you would have to go to a bar and use your card to get a drink. The problem about buying the package beforehand is if you want to use the freestyle machine, you have to get access to your cup that is waiting for you in your cabin, so your only options are to wait to eat your lunch until after you have cabin access or to go to a bar and get your limited soda choice from the gun. I would never buy the soda only package on a ship that only had the limited gun choices because I enjoy Coke Zero.

How will you be able to get soda in the Windjammer as soon as you board using the Coca-Cola Freestyle machine if your cup that you need to use the machine is locked up in your cabin that you do not have access to until after lunch?

There are SodaGun Stations in the WindJammer As well as the FreeStyle Coke Machines so if you ask one of waiters/servers in the WindJammer for a soda they Will ask to see your SeaPass Card and see that you have the Package and get you your Soda in a regular Glass.

Or You can go to one of the Drink Areas in the WindJammer and ask for soda and show them your SeaPass Card and you will Get you soda in a Regular Glass.

I have no experience with the Freestyle machines - is there someone operating the machine, that you show you card and your cup to? Where are these machines located on the EOS? Anywhere besides the Windjammer?

Thank you.

There is a Barcode embeded the in bottom the souvenir cup you get with ANY Drink Package the FreeStyle Coke Machines will scan ANY cup placed in it for a Barcode if DOES NOT FIND ONE all you can get is ICE from it.

Once it finds a barcode it will accept your selection from the touchscreen, since the FreeStyle uses Barcodes it seta around a 15 Min. timer after it dispenses your drink so you cannot quick back to back orders.

There is a Barcode embeded the in bottom the souvenir cup you get with ANY Drink Package the FreeStyle Coke Machines will scan ANY cup placed in it for a Barcode if DOES NOT FIND ONE all you can get is ICE from it.

Once it finds a barcode it will accept your selection from the touchscreen, since the FreeStyle uses Barcodes it seta around a 15 Min. timer after it dispenses your drink so you cannot quick back to back orders.

Thank You. Where can I find these machines? Anywhere besides the Windjammer?

Thank You. Where can I find these machines? Anywhere besides the Windjammer?

Depends on what ship you are going on. You said EOS, which one, Explorer or Enchantment?

If Explorer, they will be on the Royal Promenade, Windjammer and possibly video arcade. If Enchantment, someone else will have to answer.

Depends on what ship you are going on. You said EOS, which one, Explorer or Enchantment?

If Explorer, they will be on the Royal Promenade, Windjammer and possibly video arcade. If Enchantment, someone else will have to answer.

Enchantment has one in the Centrum and the two near the Windjammer entrance.

Edited by clarea

Sorry, my error.. Explorer. That is great that there is one in Royal Promenade.

There are SodaGun Stations in the WindJammer As well as the FreeStyle Coke Machines so if you ask one of waiters/servers in the WindJammer for a soda they Will ask to see your SeaPass Card and see that you have the Package and get you your Soda in a regular Glass.

Or You can go to one of the Drink Areas in the WindJammer and ask for soda and show them your SeaPass Card and you will Get you soda in a Regular Glass.

I am fully aware of the procedure. My statement was referring to someone that mentioned the advantage of buying the soda package before the cruise and my response was basically stating that you can't use the freestyle machine until you get your prepaid cup that is locked in your cabin that you do not have access to until after you eat assuming that you're on board right away before 100 pm.

We loved the select package. The simple fact of not having to sign a check every time you got a drink made it worth it to us. We simply tipped the bar staff the we liked seperately at the conclussion of the cruise. It was great for soda water too since we do not drink any other soda!

Here are 2 questions that I have not found the answer to on the many various drink package threads. One, I know that the beers with an asterisk on the drink menus are not included in any of the packages, but what about the beer cocktails? It's confusing because Guinness is not included, but some of the beer cocktails include Guinness and none of them have the aforementioned asterisk attached on the menu.

Two, can packages be upgraded? On our upcoming 6 day Indy cruise, could we start off with the Replenish package for days 1 & 2 and then upgrade to the Premium package for the last 4 days of the cruise, The reason I am inquiring is because we're on our first B2B and after having our included drinks package on the Silhouette for 7 days, I wish to take a two day break from alcohol before finishing strong. I realize that I could always just wait and get the premium package for the last 4 days of our Indy cruise, but it would be nice to continue having a package and I would like to partake in the Royal Replenish items for two days instead of having to buy things individually.

I was on the Explorer this past July and Guinness was included in the package.

I was on the Explorer this past July and Guinness was included in the package.
There was a recent posting on one of the threads that showed a photocopy of a handout that said it was all beers except Chimay that were included in the packages.

We debated over and over about the drink package. Heres what we were doing: took 2 bottles of wine on board; ordered 2 bottles champagne to be in our room; and we ordered the wine package 5 bottles. All less than the drink pkg. We did order the 8 bottles of water which i'm very glad we had in our room. We're not big soda drinkers. The bar pours pretty heavy so we were pretty happy with a couple drinks of the day each. Then all day shore excursions with free drinks,dinner with our wine, and we were pretty well happy. On a 10day cruise, 5 days were on the islands so very little onboard drinking. Free champagne at the art auction... getting the drink package didnt add up in our book.