1st time Alaska in May 2015

smurfm69

We are thinking of doing a Southbound Alaska cruise from Vancouver on the Carnival Miracle. Looking at Early May 2015 and was wondering about the weather and flight costs.

May is our favorite time to cruise Alaska the weather has been great for us the last two years....flight cost....you can never predict...just keep checking and when you see a price you can live with book it ;)

Just for clarification, if you are going from Vancouver, you will be sailing Northbound as you go to Alaska.

I thought Carnival did round-trip Seattle cruises, with their first/last doing Seattle-Vancouver (or vice versa) for re-positioning purposes. Are they changing that in 2015?

I thought Carnival did round-trip Seattle cruises, with their first/last doing Seattle-Vancouver (or vice versa) for re-positioning purposes. Are they changing that in 2015?

Not sure about Carnival sailing directions... If it's "round trip" Seattle to Vancouver, you will indeed go southbound during part of the trip. One way cruises go either Northbound or Southbound.

You said "southbound from Vancouver" so that confused me. Sorry.

Ok now y'all are confusing me a little bit. lol I was looking at the Carnival website and going by 2014 cruises to get a general idea since 2015 isn't on there yet. I know they have the round trip cruises from Seattle, but also saw one starting in Vancouver and ending in Seattle. Maybe that was a repositioning cruise? I do appreciate all the feedback. I am excited to finally plan a cruise to Alaska. We don't get snow down here in Nola. I can give up the Caribbean beaches for this trip.

Ok now y'all are confusing me a little bit. lol I was looking at the Carnival website and going by 2014 cruises to get a general idea since 2015 isn't on there yet. I know they have the round trip cruises from Seattle, but also saw one starting in Vancouver and ending in Seattle. Maybe that was a repositioning cruise? I do appreciate all the feedback. I am excited to finally plan a cruise to Alaska. We don't get snow down here in Nola. I can give up the Caribbean beaches for this trip.

When ships are moved to Seattle for the Alaska cruise season, they usually cannot go directly there from Los Angeles, due to PVSA requirements, so they go to Vancouver. Some cruise lines do short (1-3 day) re-positioning cruises from Vancouver to Seattle, then begin the Alaska season in Seattle. Carnival skips the re-positioning cruises and just does their first cruise of the season round trip from Vancouver to Seattle. It is essentially still a round trip Seattle cruise, with that exception that it leaves from Vancouver, and usually they also include Glacier Bay. They do the reverse (start in Seattle/end in Vancouver) for the last cruise of the season.

OTOH, Northbound/Southbound cruises are one-way from Vancouver to Alaska, ending in either Seward or Whittier, or vice versa.

Vancouver to Seattle doesn't go through Alaska. Alaska is north of both cities.

For flight costs, you can look at costs for trips now to get an estimation.

Edited by moposh