Epic Review 1/4/14

Cruzface

Thanks for the awesome review. Keep it coming! I'm glad someone is having a good time on a Norwegian cruise. :rolleyes:

I'm booked in a studio this December and my sister and brother-in-law will be experiencing their first cruise from their own cabin. I'm glad to hear all your positives about the entertainment. I'm sure they're going to love it. :)

Thanks. Believe it or not there were plenty of complainers. I just don't get people. I think they go into it with a bad attitude.

Got his picture on the sea day after St. Thomas. I think the Capt. was attempting to avoid the rain storms popping up.

Epiccruise2014642_zpsdc41e068.jpg

Epiccruise2014643_zps58084cdd.jpg

It worked most of the time, just not always...

Epiccruise2014635_zps0a474a8b.jpg

Yes that is a person under the towels...

Didn't matter we had our drinks...

Epiccruise2014632_zps9f44da33.jpg

Nassau, Bahamas:

OK, we have been here before and simply grabbed a cab and went to a beach. It was fine. But never really got an idea about the island. Everyone says this island sucks and they would stay on the ship. I'm so glad we didn't listen. The boys actually stayed on the ship because the weather was iffy (turned out nice). I simply loved sailing into Nassau. The channel is so narrow and steep. then they spin the ship and back it in. So cool.

EpicCruise2014099_zps502115ce.jpg

EpicCruise2014100_zpsb3d1607a.jpg

EpicCruise2014101_zps4b4033a4.jpg

EpicCruise2014102_zps5e37f76d.jpg

I wish I could post videos because watching the Carnival Valor and The Disney Dream leave before us was amazing.

Debarkation was great. So different from last year. But this year we took our time since our flight was later in the day. Made for a much less stressful departure.

Overall great cruise, but we have never had a bad one. Sure some things go wrong and that is to be expected. But I believe your vacation is what you make it. So long as nobody gets sick or hurt, I think it's a success.

We love Norwegian, but looking to go on the Carnival Breeze for 8 days next January. Different ports and an extra day for about the same price.

Hope you enjoyed the review as much as Sock Monkey enjoyed his little friends:

Epiccruise2014518_zpsfe4f7e61.jpg

Epiccruise2014543_zps57e7bf8f.jpg

Epiccruise2014589_zpseec509c9.jpg

Epiccruise2014630_zps5720cd85.jpg

Nice review! Allow me to contribute this one photograph I took on Jan 8 of Norwegian Epic and four other cruise ships at St. Thomas. I was aboard Celebrity Eclipse which was anchored in the bay next to Epic. Incidentally, Steven Jobs's super yacht, Venus, is the large anchored boat off of Eclipse's port side.

12063419624_e380c62c82_b.jpg

Nice review! Allow me to contribute this one photograph I took on Jan 8 of Norwegian Epic and four other cruise ships at St. Thomas. I was aboard Celebrity Eclipse which was anchored in the bay next to Epic. Incidentally, Steven Jobs's super yacht, Venus, is the large anchored boat off of Eclipse's port side.

12063419624_e380c62c82_b.jpg

Awesome picture!! We wanted to go to the point but St. John just took so long. You also answered a question we all had about that yacht.

Awesome picture!! We wanted to go to the point but St. John just took so long. You also answered a question we all had about that yacht.

Thanks. That was my 3rd time to St. Thomas, but the first time I went up the aerial tram. Like you, we usually have too much going on and can't fit the time to go up to see this view. But I had a head cold that day and was unable to go scuba diving with my family.....

The first time we cruised to St. Thomas, we also grabbed the ferry out of Red Hook to visit St. John. Beautiful island. And like you said, soooo worth it!

I have a friend at work who will be cruising on Epic next month. He is very much looking forward to it.

Edited by mahdnc

Thanks so much for spending your snow day doing this wonderful Epic photo review/report. I did one for our Alaska cruise on the Sun so know the effort that goes into it.

Love your writing style and all the beautiful photos. LOL wish I hadn't seen your Trunk Bay pictures until after our cruise next week. We hemmed and hawed about St Thomas or St John and finally decided instead of St John/Trunk Bay to just get off the ship, take taxi to Coki Beach / Coral World and spend a few hours there. On the way back we may stop downtown and do some browsing/shopping.

Will definitely try Manhattan Room .... think we only ate there once on our first Epic cruise. Did you have a "regular" dining time or just go whenever the mood struck?

Thanks. That was my 3rd time to St. Thomas, but the first time I went up the aerial tram. Like you, we usually have too much going on and can't fit the time to go up to see this view. But I had a head cold that day and was unable to go scuba diving with my family.....

The first time we cruised to St. Thomas, we also grabbed the ferry out of Red Hook to visit St. John. Beautiful island. And like you said, soooo worth it!

I have a friend at work who will be cruising on Epic next month. He is very much looking forward to it.

Well you just confirmed what we are doing next time in St. Thomas....

Thanks so much for spending your snow day doing this wonderful Epic photo review/report. I did one for our Alaska cruise on the Sun so know the effort that goes into it.

Love your writing style and all the beautiful photos. LOL wish I hadn't seen your Trunk Bay pictures until after our cruise next week. We hemmed and hawed about St Thomas or St John and finally decided instead of St John/Trunk Bay to just get off the ship, take taxi to Coki Beach / Coral World and spend a few hours there. On the way back we may stop downtown and do some browsing/shopping.

Will definitely try Manhattan Room .... think we only ate there once on our first Epic cruise. Did you have a "regular" dining time or just go whenever the mood struck?

Thanks for the support. We usually tried to go around 7:30. It was just easier with the boys to have a set time. Some days they were waiting for us. Lol. Never much of a wait. Enjoy your cruise!!!

Edited by Cruzface

Loved the review. I was on same cruise and your sail away and Nassau pics are almost shot for shot a match of mine!

Loved your Trunk Bay shots. Now I know where to go next time in St. Thomas. I went snorkeling this visit. Did Maho Beach at St. Martin. In Nassau, parasailing got cancelled last minute so I walked to Fish Fry for lunch & got heavily rained on in the process. It's all good! Way better than January in Ottawa!

I agree with Garden Cafe buffet. Very good, lots of variety and well made, tasty.

I cruised solo in a Studio and had a great time.

Smooth Sailings!

Oh yeah, I just remembered one major complaint I have been seeing about Epic; the ship is rocky. Well, I have to agree! So I did some investigation and discovered that this ship is floating on the ocean. Huh. And there are waves on that ocean. Huh. There you have it. Waves make a boat rock....

Loved the review. I was on same cruise and your sail away and Nassau pics are almost shot for shot a match of mine!

Loved your Trunk Bay shots. Now I know where to go next time in St. Thomas. I went snorkeling this visit. Did Maho Beach at St. Martin. In Nassau, parasailing got cancelled last minute so I walked to Fish Fry for lunch & got heavily rained on in the process. It's all good! Way better than January in Ottawa!

I agree with Garden Cafe buffet. Very good, lots of variety and well made, tasty.

I cruised solo in a Studio and had a great time.

Smooth Sailings!

Thanks. Sorry we missed the meet and greet. Completely blew it.

Oh yeah, I just remembered one major complaint I have been seeing about Epic; the ship is rocky. Well, I have to agree! So I did some investigation and discovered that this ship is floating on the ocean. Huh. And there are waves on that ocean. Huh. There you have it. Waves make a boat rock....

I heard it a number of times in the first couple days. My remark would be that no matter how big the ship is, the Atlantic is bigger.

A little side to side rolling and fore/aft motion is normal. My stateroom was toward the stern and at night what I noticed is what I will term a shimmy every once in a while. Didn't notice it so much during the day when up and about.

The sock monkey pics really made me giggle! :D It reminded me of taking Flat Stanley pictures for a friend's son a couple of years ago. We had a lot of fun trying to find places to put him, but I think your pics with the towel animals are the best and most creative! (Google Flat Stanley if you don't know him....he loves to go on adventures.)

We're going on Epic for the mediterranean cruise this fall, so I enjoyed your positive comments about the ship. I was thinking about posh passes, but decided against it since the cruise is so port intensive with only 1 day at sea. I did spring for the extra bucks to get our first balconey, so I can't wait. Unfortunately, Flat Stanley won't be making the trip with us though, but I know he would love it!

Thanks for sharing your experience and pictures!