Review of Caribbean Charms - 12th January 2014

I know there is a specific section for reviews but I think more people use this page to get an idea of Thomson Cruises, so I thought it best to put it on here. Anyway, we were first time cruisers going to the Caribbean for the first time just for a week, and we loved it! I was nervous as I wasn't sure if it would be our thing, and I had also read a lot of negative comments about The Dream lately. I actually stopped visiting the site, and the Facebook site. However, we found it all to be great. Check in at Manchester was a breeze as we went in plenty of time. We flew on the Dreamliner, and it was smart, comfy and quick! Once at the airport in Barbados we were transferred straight to coaches from the plane and taken to the ship. We were so excited by this point and our first view of her was amazing! It was all very well organised in the check-in area, with a band playing and a refreshing juice. We soon found ourselves walking up the gangway.

Our cabin was on deck 5 on the inside towards the back. At first I was a little shocked at how small it was, but I soon got used to it. Our luggage arrived about an hour later.

We attended the muster drill, had some tea and went to bed as we were shattered. We must have set sail after we fell asleep as I awoke in the early hours to the movement of the ship and the creaking and groaning of the cabin, which to a first time cruiser was a little scary! I got used to it as the week went on however.

I'll leave the next bit of the review till tomorrow as still quite tired tonite. Hope I'm not boring anyone!

Looking forward to more. We were on the Dream last September and had a great time and have booked for New Year 2014. After reading the latest reviews I must admit to thinking what have we done but we've decided to just enjoy the cruise like we've always done and ignore the negative comments.

Me and my OH were also first time cruisers on the Dream doing a weeks cruise and a weeks stay on Barbados. We did Latin Gems on the 5th Jan and it was...........FANTASTIC. I have just read some really bad reviews about the Dream and I can't understand them. We found the food excellent, the service excellent and absolutely loved the ship itself. In fact we were quite sad to be leaving after the week and although Barbados was lovely and it was nice to just lie on a sunbed with plenty of space around me I would have gladly exchanged that for another week on the Dream. The only thing that I feel was a negative and this could just be me, was that the ship was cold. You know when you go round a supermarket and you hit the freezer section well approaching the ocean bar was like that and I found it uncomfortably cold. Now that I know this I would pack more appropriately but it certainly doesn't put me off. I wouldn't do a cruise to get a suntan as I found the sundeck too busy, but for visiting cities, islands, countries etc that's how we are going to do from now on. We had an inside cabin on deck 7 and we were surprised at how big it was. Perhaps we are just easily pleased, I don't know.

Anyway the difficulty now is whether to do back to back Caribbean islands on the Celebration or Pride of Panama/Cuban Fusion on the lovely Dream next year:):):)

We also found it chilly on the ship, especially sat round the edges in the medusa lounge. Our cabin was cold also and despite the steward trying to alter the air con, we couldn't get it any warmer!

We have decided on a two week cruise in the Caribbean next January, Latin gems and Caribbean Treasures. We visit 3 of the islands we have already done, but there's always other things to explore!

Edited by lexie1968

I think someone said that they kept the temperature low to prevent noro. Anyone know if this is true?

At least in the Caribbean you can go out on deck to warm up ;):D

I was too warm a lot of the time in our cabin, and had the door open quite a lot when inside and decent. I considered sleeping out the back on deck 7 but the beds were fastened up.

Only suffered from air con one night in MDR when we were sat by the window. I was ok in short or sleeveless attire every night and felt sorry for the chaps in all their gear on gala night.

is dream meant to be doing caribbean charms itinerary in reverse this week?....ship is in tobago today and is showing bequia for tomorrow on marine traffic?

anyone know?

Strange, Geo., because Monday is usually Day at Sea.

This week's itinerary should be Tues....St Maarten, then St Kitts, St Lucia, Tobago, Mayreau, SVG, then Bridgetown.

However, when I checked 16th March itinerary it is....Day at Sea, Tobago, Mayreau, St Lucia, St Maarten, St Kitts, Bridgetown. This itinerary seems the opposite way round. But is this not your dates?

I have noticed that at least once, instead of using Mayreau, they have used Bequia instead because of too rough seas for tendering.

We will just have to wait for Infoqueen to let us know, as she is there now, lucky girl!

Strange, Geo., because Monday is usually Day at Sea.

This week's itinerary should be Tues....St Maarten, then St Kitts, St Lucia, Tobago, Mayreau, SVG, then Bridgetown.

However, when I checked 16th March itinerary it is....Day at Sea, Tobago, Mayreau, St Lucia, St Maarten, St Kitts, Bridgetown. This itinerary seems the opposite way round. But is this not your dates?

I have noticed that at least once, instead of using Mayreau, they have used Bequia instead because of too rough seas for tendering.

We will just have to wait for Infoqueen to let us know, as she is there now, lucky girl!

yep, I thought it was strange too jaks...dream should be at sea today

no not my itinerary or my dates I'm on tropical treasures/latin gems on 23rd march

I'm tracking dream because they have already changed my itinerary (and yours too I believe) quite a few of the caribbean itineraries so far this year seem to have had changes made??....I'm wondering if sea conditions aren’t great?? or maybe port congestion??

yep,

I'm wondering if sea conditions aren’t great?? or maybe port congestion??

We've got friends on the Azura at the moment - conditions are a bit windy from what they say.

Last Tuesday they couldn't dock at St Vincent because of 45 knot winds so had an extra sea day. They made Dominica on Wed and St Kitts on Thursday although they had difficulty docking there. They said it was very windy on the way to Antigua too but they obviously got there as the next message came from Valley Church - hmmmmm......... now there's a place to dream about!

Hope the changes are not going to affect your plans and that you make all your ports on your itinerary. ;):)

yep, I thought it was strange too jaks...dream should be at sea today

no not my itinerary or my dates I'm on tropical treasures/latin gems on 23rd march

I'm tracking dream because they have already changed my itinerary (and yours too I believe) quite a few of the caribbean itineraries so far this year seem to have had changes made??....I'm wondering if sea conditions aren’t great?? or maybe port congestion??

I have googled wind, wave heights, weather forecasts and there does not seem to be anything too bad in the region that I can see. Fresh winds, a few showers, 5mm on Wednesday, in St Marten but they were due there on Tuesday when the forecast is not bad. Just have to be patient and wait.

If they are heading to Bequia instead of going to Mayreau because the weather conditions do not allow them to tender there, why are they going south when they should be heading north? Very strange!

I have just heard from Infoqueen, Shirley. She is having a lovely time on Dream. In Bequia today. Reason for changing itinerary is due to too many ships in port. They are doing the cruise the opposite way around so Sea Day is Saturday instead of Monday. Hope if Captain's night is that day too that the "formal" dresses and suits will still fit! :eek::D